Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 99 mxz I had to move both the carrier wheels and the rear suspension bolts one hole lower to get some clearence for the studs. Will this have any sort of effect on the geometry of the suspension now? I have the ets kit on . Why I'm wondering is because only the rear can be moved lower not the front. Also will it now lose a lot of traction, because wouldn't lowering the rear bolt one hole also tend to raise up the front of the rear suspension, or is it only the tunnel that will be lifted. Confused, explain this to me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I helped a friend change his suspension like you did a year ago. I ask him if he noticed a difference? He said no, other than it sits a little higher.
He has a 97 670 Mxz. I myself, well I'm looking for smaller size carrier wheel. I am looking to install a 136 1 3/4 track soon, need to keep up with jimmxz!! I too would like to hear if anyone else has done the same procedure!

FZ700

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I did this on my 97 MXZ 670 and I didn't notice any loss of traction but then I went from not having any studs to being studded so its not really a fair comparison.I may drop the sled back down though as I don't think it was necessary to drop the suspension down.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Did you get studs that were too long or something?
I had a 99 and did lower the center idlers, I feel you can remove them if you want and I know people that have with no problems.
But I didnt lower the rear mounting position, I got the recommended stud size from Woodys and went.
As I recall I installed the HRP front bulkhead protectors but didnt even need to do that.

Worked great for the 3 seasons I rode the sled. I did upgrade the torsion spring bushings from the little black sleeves that are on there to thick white plastic bushings from Ski Doo.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to lower the back of the suspension, because when I put in the higher heat exchanger protectors the track was rubbing them. The stud size are the .92 woody's push throughs. Also I heard about the updated torsion spring sleeves, what exactly would they do in this situation?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What color are the tunnel protectors you put in? black?
I used HRP white zx tunnel protectors which I believe are like 1/4" thinner. What track do you have on it the stock track?
Those spring sleeves in my opinion help the sled to not bottom out as easily and they take the slop out of the rear springs, as they come from the factory you have like an inch of free slop space between the springs and the shaft with these in place there is barely any.
I liked them in mine.
I had the stock track, the updated bushings in there, I lowered the center idler shaft, ran the HRP white tunnel protectors and HRP front bulkhead protectors, and also the Woodys .920 studs and never had 1 problem at all. This setup was excellent. I had 144 studs in a 2 - 4 -2 4 pattern with outsides and inside belts used.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention, If you still have to lower the rear you should be fine. I had to do it on my 97 Formula 3 and didnt notice any difference except the way it sits. It rode the same and worked fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My spring sleeve bushings are worn out and I went to my dealer to try get a pair of these thicker sleeves and he said he never heard of them. Are these new sleeves a genuine skidoo part and if they are could you please give me the part number for them so I can get my dealer to order a set for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They are a Ski Doo part, they are white and thick. But I dont think I can come up with a part number for you. I could try to tomorrow by calling my dealer. If you talk to the right guy there, he would know.

You are talking about the thin little black plastic bushings on yours being worn out that go around the shaft for the springs to ride/rub on?

I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, they are a black tube about 1 inch inside diameter and about 5 inches long, and go inside the springs. Mine are rubbed through , that's why I'd like to try the thicker ones.

·
Registered
171 Posts
for the spring bushings, go to the www.hlsm.com site and look at the p/n for the ones on the 99 Summit 600. I bought a set on the advice of a dealer and was told taht they come stock on the Summits. Too bad your dealer doesn't have a clue. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts