Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to sno check a new sled but can't decide what I want under it .It will be a 700xcsp x when i can decide .any help would be nice. thanks.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
They are the same suspension. The ACE includes an electric motor that will change the angle of the rear shock (shock speed/damping) from the dash, rather than getting your wrenches out, clearing the area on your slide rails that contain the manual adjuster of crusted on snow and ice, then doing the same thing. After owning the manual version this year, and dealing with it a lot, I'd suggest the ACE if the pennies are in the piggy bank. If not, don't worry about it. Where the ACE will really be handy is under changing trail conditions. You could say it would then have a very effective dial-a-ride system. The other time it might be nice is if 2 different riders with similar weights and different riding styles were using the same sled.

AL

·
Registered
791 Posts
Personally I think the M-10 is over rated just for the fact that it needs to be dialed in right on the ball to be affective.  I think if it is a trail sled you want get the M-10 but if it is a ditch banger you want go for the edge suspension with the fox clicker shock setup.  Try flipping a coin it works for me.  

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would guess the ACE unit, properly maintained, would hold up pretty well. It's obviously running in a super harsh environment, but they've been out for a while now.

Anyone that says the M-10 is over rated, probably hasn't been on one set up for their tastes. I'll admit, it does take some tinkering. The ACE unit will really help out in this area.

If you believe that the Edge suspension is going to be adjusted to your driving style first time out, or that anyone can jump on it and it will work for them, that would be another mistake.

AL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the only thing that might bother me is that there is wires under there.Also I've been told that it bottoms realy easy on the big bumps.Now I am considering the edge skid. Just because when I ride with the boys we like to pound.That is only half of my riding.Other wise I'm with my wife.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The M-10 for me has been great! With only 1 adjustment I'm happy. I've been on all kinds of trail conditions and don't feel the need to keep changing the adjustment. I would not see the need for the M-10 Ace IMO. Have never rode the edge suspension so I can't talk about differences between the two.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
44, do as you like, but when any of the suspensions you are considering are set up for normal riding, including occasional chop, and you encounter those deep whoops 10' apart, they are going to bottom out. The only way to prevent that would be to ride around on a very stiff suspension. All the suspensions are capable of being set up that way. That's the beauty of the ACE, you can change it on the fly and enjoy the best of both worlds. Even without the ACE, I'd go for the M-10. It really is that good. In the situation that you mention,
there is a second spring installed, called a cross over spring.
The point that spring comes into contact with the suspension
is adjustable. It's designed to dampen the bottoming out of the suspension. Instead of the sharp bang you would get with most suspensions as they bottom out, this one gets really stiff at that point, you simply don't get the sharp bang. Fast
has really got their stuff together on this suspension.

AL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info.from what i'm hearing sounds like the m-10 is the way to go.my dealer said the same thing,to not be afraid of the m-10.any added info would be great.glad i found this web site.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My dad has had ACE on his M-10 since it was first introduced, (on his '95 mach1) and it still works perfectly.  I can't say sure, but I'd bet he's got thousands of miles on it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have two seasons of very enjoyable riding on my m10 Ohlins, I have the m-valve option installed on mine. m-valve stops bottoming on the swooping holes, which can occur at high speed. I am a very agressive 220lb rider with 160ish hp under the hood. I have no regretts buying this suspension, it is the best aftermarket dollar I have ever spent. Anyone who says different has not been on a properly adjusted one. Try it you'll love it. Sorry I got off the real question, I have installed both with & w/o ace I dont believe it is needed. Besides they weigh about 6lb. extra.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts