Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to snow check a xc 700, I have had a chance to try a 700 with the edge rear suspension but would like to know a little about the optional m-10 rear suspension.
Is it worth the extra $$$ or not ?
Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
P.S. this is a great forum guys.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Check out the Polaris website, They have some quicktime videos on the M-10. I , myself have never ridden a machine with an m-10, but have heard that they are very comfortable. Not to much suited to the ditch banger though, just what I heard.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I've ridden ski-doos with M-10s.  Real smooth, real comfortable.  Highly recommended.  However, I haven't ridden Edge, so I can't make a comparison between the two.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you ride REAL aggressive then go with the edge. If an average trail rider go with thye m-10. You will never be sorry.
                                 Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think some people have taken to "aggressive vs. Trail" riding rule a bit too far.  To paraphrase SnowTech, the M10 is the better suspension for the vast majority of riders, all except the wanna-be snowcrossers, or drag racers.  Even aggressive trail riders will benefit from the m-10.  

Here's what I've experienced, heard and read...

99% of Trail Ridding: M10
Ditch Banging: Edge
Drag Racing: Edge
Really aggressive anything: PRO-X

I've also heard that part of the perception has come from Polaris because they've kind of marketed the M10 as a replacement for the xtra 12, which doesn't even compare.

Oh, another reason you may choose the Edge over M10.  If you're someone that wants to get on the sled and ride it without any adjustments for your riding style.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can give you some personal experience. I installed an M-10 on my 97 Ultra touring because the extra 12 didnot handle me. I should tell you I'm 6'4 and go 350 before I suit up. I loved the suspension but managed to break it several times in several places. I also own a 99 Edge proto and love that suspension, some similarity to the M-10 and that was the only sled Polaris put it on. I also own a 2002 800XC/sp with the Edge. It bottoms and I have ordered the heaviest springs but have not installed as yet. I have quite a few friends that own Polaris with the M-10 and they are all aggressive riders and love the suspension.
Either one can be set up to be quick and fast, and either one can be rolled. I will definitely buy the M-10 on my next sled

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
the m-10 is the best GROOMED TRAIL SUSPENSION on the market. i have followed a girl with her m-10 now for 1500 miles and with her in front of me i have a hard time judging what's up front because the m-10 suspension makes the trail look good.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I know the edge can really take a pounding because my brother had an edge x and he is a really rough sledder, and i pounded it pretty hard quite a few times too. and it held up great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
IVE GOT BOTH AND DOESNT MATTER HOW AGGRESSIVE YOU ARE M 10 IS THE WAY TO GO.  AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN I RIDE THE M 10 I CAN STILL WALK AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS.  THAT SKID CAN BE TUNNED TO PROVIDE YOU WITH ANY KIND OF RIDE THAT YOU LIKE TO DO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife and I bought one of each last year.  I got an 02 xc 800 with the edge susp. and fox clicker shock.  She got a 600 Classic w/M-10.  I have ridden both back to back and done a lot of comparing.  The biggest difference is the smooth ride.  The M-10 absorbs almost everything!  I couldn't believe it.  It sits a little higher than the edge, but that just takes some getting used to.  The other major difference is weight transfer.  The M-10 is not adjustable in this area (except for the limiter straps).  It will spin more coming off the line.  The edge has adjustable scissor stops which make adjusting weight transfer quick and easy.  This adjustment is great if you do much jumping.  Lastly, the edge seems a bit better in the powder-but with the limited snow this year it's kind of hard to tell.  I'd say if you're on the trails 90 percent of the time go with the m-10 you won't ever go back.  It absorbs so many bumps, you can ride down the middle of the trail when all your friends are off on the edge trying to find a smooth line.  If you like to drag race your buddy, go jumping, or even like to tweak your suspension that little bit more than the next guy, I'd say edge.  I ride the trails more than off.  Next time I'm getting the M-10!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I personally would go with the edge.  My buddy had a 2001 Edge X 600 and the suspension was awesome!  I haven't ever ridden the m-10 before but I hear great things about it.  I would just look at how and where you ride and then choose between the two according to what the rest of the guys replys say!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
At 6'2"/280, I'm no little guy. The 99 800 XCR/Aggresssive chassis my FOX/M-10 is installed on is hardly considered a light weight either. After what is, admittedly, a lot of messing around with adjustments, I have finally been able to come up with a compromise setting that will allow skipping through 24" chop AND an awesome, comfortable, ride everywhere else. I've owned a lot of sleds on my own and always grab at a chance to ride something different. This suspension is the first I've ridden that will allow this, and it's using settings that are nowhere near maximum, with all standard components. I'm here to tell anyone, this suspension will never lack for stiffness or damping capabilities. I've never seen anything like it.

The lower adjustment that controls the angle of the shock (shock speed/damping) is a pain to adjust when the machine is encrusted in ice and snow. The ACE accessory will cure this problem with a switch located on the dash that will allow this adjustment electricly. My next one will have it. With this addition, I can't imagine a better suspension, trail OR aggressive....

As far as traction, in repeated snowy 2000' airstrip runs against riding buddies 2 2001 800 MXZ's, (tweaked, clutches, heads, etc. with much lighter drivers), my trail tuned, totally stock XCR consistantly looses a sled length at the start (probably my fat a**), the rest of the run is spent right there, holding that position. I'm not dissappointed with traction at all, BUT, I'm not drag racing either. The EDGE may have an advantage there. Drag racing, skis in the air, huge weight transfer, not possible with the M-10.

Carrying the skis off a bump or jump is easy enough. Jumps, by the way, are what you ask for, front end high, way high, or flat. Someone told me they jump nose low. Nope, total bull, not unless you pull a dumb move like going off a jump with the brakes on. Don't ask how I found out about that, but put that on your list of things not to do (some friends are probably STILL laughing about the show I put on for them this afternoon)!

AL

·
Registered
152 Posts
I own a 2002 600XCSP with an Edge suspension. It can be a little stiff, but if you mess around with the adjustments enough you can find a good compromise. Overall I'm very pleased with it. I have friends that run M-10's who swear by them. I think there are trade offs to each however.

·
Registered
240 Posts
M10's rob a little horspower in exchange for comfort. They do lose a little weight transfer also. If you want to line up on the lake and win, get the edge. If you want to get off your sled at the end of riding in a bunch of crappy trails - seems there are more like that than smooth - and not feel like youve been in a paint mixer get the M10. I rode my friends XC800 with the M10 and was simply amazed by how nice the ride was. The M10 eats bumps for dinner. I had an M10 on my Grand Touring, that's why I decided to get the Blade. It's 10 year old technology that still beats the OEM's!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts