Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some have said the main drawback to the SS susp. is lack of weight transfer, track spin.  M-10 is rated as one of the best susp. available.  Does anyone have enough experience with both of these to compare them, or general opinions?  What about cost of M-10?

·
Registered
394 Posts
last year knew a guy who put a m-10 in a 01 zr 800, bad decision.  Ended up totaling the sled on the lake due to bad setup.  Don't know why anybody would take the coupled artic cat suspension out.  Setup correct is as good as any other suspension if not better.  Although any sled is good on groomed trails.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the '01 was not coupled.  In my question, I should have included the coupled Cat susp, since you can by the coupling kit from Cat for the pre-'02 sleds.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
arteecat..........please elaborate on why he totalled his sled with a m-10
???makes no sense to me as it absorbs bumps alot better than the stock skid

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jim, I have had the chance to ride both.  My brother has a M10/RydeFX in his 01 ZR and my Dad has a 02 ZL SS.  Let's see..... The M-10 is nothing like any factory suspension, it reacts differently to bumps as compared to the factory suspensions.  The big thing is setup though, it is a pain in the a$$ to setup and does require constant adjustment and it is somewhat difficult to achieve weight transfer.  

I think that depending on your weight riding style, a SS may be a better all around fit, keeping in mind the M-10 can take the rough stuff better.   My Dad loves his sled, but does not ride as aggressive as I do.   I also have a 01 Fasttrack that is non coupled and the coupled version is better, big time.

Personally, I was facing the same decision, get an M-10 or get a new sled.  I have a F7 on order.  I think that the factory suspensions are getting so close to offering the same ride as an M-10, and they require a lot less setup and adjusting.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
84 Posts
BTW: The SS transfers weight the same as a coupled ZR setup, and if you want more or less, adjust the coupling blocks.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...I think I will buy the coupling kit from Cat for my '01.  That's a lot less exp. than the M-10.  If I don't like the kit, I can move on from there.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Something you might want to keep in mind is when you install the coupling kit weight transfer is greatly reduced compared to what you have now, however ride quality in the studder bumps is improved. It comes down to what suits your riding style. Rick.

·
Registered
387 Posts
PANTERAONE-

I do know that with any long-travel suspension the sled is much less stable on a smooth, flat surface. Most lake racers have 8-9 inches of travel (the SRX comes to mind) while the bump sleds are 11+

The M-10 had as much travel as any...

The crash mentioned above did say "on the lake"

Just my take!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i rode many miles on an m-10,i cant see why his sled would be scraped,ive rode some very battered trails ,even traded off with others,and who ever was on the m-10 was way in front,its soaks up the junk very good,i guess he could have been setup wrong but thats not the m-10's fault

·
Registered
394 Posts
at the speed he was going and the way the m-10 was setup when the suspension compressed on the first bump the rotation of the track and the down force kept the suspension sucked down for the next bump.  that was it for him was doing about 90 or 100.  No more sledding for him.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would but my o2 coupled cat up against a m-10 anyday.  A little setup of stock and is as good if not better than any other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ride a 02 T-Cat with SS rear, by buddy rides a 02 700 Polaris with an M-10.  I realize they are not both Cats, but seat of the pants comparison when riding together was that the SS and M-10 seemed very close to giving the same ride.  I get good weight transfer, but do have some track spin - also have gobs of HP under the hood.

Just my 10 cents worth - first 2 cents are free!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Northern, didn't know you liked M&M!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts