Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about switching to a set of pipes off of a 99. I think I found a set. How mutch of an improvement will I see. I have read some where that it takes 20 seconds at full throttle for the pipes to come up to temp to make full power. Is this true. Will I need to make any jetting changes right now I have 300,310,300 I also have the head cut and thicker base gasket.

Any input would be helpfull
Thanks
Duane

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes they should make a difference, the hp will be there alot quicker because the center dump pipes take so long to get hot dont know any exact numbers but you will want to spin the end dump pipes at about 8500 compared to around 8000 with the center dumps.jus my .02

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I am trying to find out if its worth the 200 the guy wants for the pipes. I really dont want to put aftermarket pipes on because of the noise issue.

Duane

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just a quick question on your jets..... Why do you have 300's in 2 cylinders and then 310's in the other one??? arent the jets supposed to be the same.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? Lake blasts go with the 99, trail riding stick with the 98's. My buddies 98 was spot on for trail riding. It ran really good and he always got the jump on me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sorry I made a mistake I am running 310,320,310 jets. I had hrp motorsports in grandrapids mi so the work on the sled. If I rember right some sled need to be jetted like this because one clyinder will run leaner than the others. This could be caused buy cooling issues. The water could enter cold from the pto side and buy the time it get to the mag cylinder the water is warmer and that cylinder runs different. I am not totaly for sure on this any one is welcome to add into this. On the machz I am not sure why the center cylinder is jetted richer.

Duane

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont realy care how it runs in the trail. I cant run the thing wide open in the trail anyway unless in the up on some rail road grade. My main concern is racing on a hard pack road or hard pack lake. That is where me and my friends usualy race.

Thanks
Duane

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Just a thought, I had a 97 Mach1 my buddy a 98 Mach1. I ALWAYS beat him by no less than 4 sleds. I know the 97 is an f-chassi but it had end dump pipes and motors were identical.
You will DEFINATALLY have check into what your new carb, clutch and timing will be.

Here is some homework I saved from mine:
99 jetting; 300 across the board------2000 went 310
Jet tubes; same
Jet needles; J8-8ady01-41
Pilots; 50 same---I like 45
Timing; .102 B.T.D.C.--- yours like about .086

Stock clutching is little different;
Green-blue---200-290
295 ramps
16 gr. pins

50-47 helix

Take her from there..........
SWRules

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch set up now is
Pu.gn. 260/160
286 ramps
solid pin
46 deg. black ice cam
stock secondary spring
preload pos. a6
stock gearing

Jetting is 310,320,310
needle jet is 327-03
jet needle is 8ab41-40
e clip pos. 2
pilot jet 50
Air screw 4.5

Just wondering about end dumps if my jetting will change that mutch. I guess I can call hrp and find out what there set up for the 99 is and go from there.

Duane

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
you can't compare the 97 to the ck-3's, that c-7 rear end transfered sooooooo much better!

One more thing, I lost performance on my 99 when I went with a black Ice helix. I tried everything and ended up putting the stock one back on. It really hurt my top end speed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry Mighty but the 97"s had SC-10. From what I have heard about black ice a 46 would equal a 52 in Skidoo. :doh:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering about the clutch set up from hrp. I had them do my 97 same mods and that sled ran great except on top end my friends t-cat would always get buy me on the big end. We raced 1000ft and arround the 700 ft mark he would slowly start to go buy me not fast just enuff to get me buy a sled or two at the end. But if we raced on loose snow like on a hard packed lake or a field I could get him and he could not reel me in like on a road or ice. I was currious on the set up if I could sacrfice a little on the trail for a better set up for the hard packed rd. We do alot of racing on roads when the trail dumps out on to a road and we are going at a 30 40 roll we usualy get on it and see who has the best sled from a roll I would like to have a set up like that. I was thinking about getting the heal clicker set up they claim a better mid-to -top pull. Hopefullly this year will be a good year for tuning my frined bought a house on a lake and we should be able to do some tuning there.

Duane

Any sugestions on cams or things to try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts