Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!  

I want to trade in my Formula 500 -98 for something fast and nasty. I want either a Mach Z or Mach 1. What is the different of those to? I want a sled witch is good in the trail areas and fast on the lakes. But i will take priority for the trail areas. I like to ride fast and it must be good to take corners.The engine must be totaly realyable and easy to start. I want a 98, 99 or 00 model. Witch one do u recomend?

Norwegian

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
the Z because those both have the same chassis just the Z will give more on the lakes and do the same on the prepared areas.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from the 98's just because of the performance issues caused by the center outlet pipes and the taller ride height. If you plan on installing aftermarket pipes, then a 98 would be OK also. If you have speed runs of anything longer than .5km go with the Mach Z because of the extra power. Just my observation, but the 99 Z tends to be the fastest of the CK3 Mach's. Good luck in your purchase.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Get the Mach Z, it means you never have to say your sorry! The main problem you will have is that no one will race you anymore. Oh well, it could be worse!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, with all the twins around, a good race is hard to find.  That's why I just race my other Mach Z.  I never get beat, I mean, my sled never gets beat (they're both mine&#33
).  They're both set up identically and it normally comes down to traction out of the hole.  On top, they're neck in neck.  Sometimes the better half and I will gang up on some unsuspecting T-Cat and really have some fun.  Then we stop and I make sure she takes off her helmet so the boys can see they got beat by a woman.  What a "crowd pleaser!"  Those days are probably over now that I'm going to an 800 twin.  Triple withdrawal is already getting to me.

Good day, Mark  

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Formula500 - If you want a sled for both, i would look for a 98 F3 700 or a 99F3 700 or a 99 F3 800. They give up some top end HP, but gain allot of torque. They are tripples with single pipe, but also have 3" of more front travel. They are allot happier in the trail weighing 20 lbs less and with the extra travel. The single pipe configuration can be quite drag savy also, I used to whoop on allot bigger sleds with my F3 700.

Also, they were quite a bit cheaper new (about $1100) and you could shop smartly and pick one up for $2500

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you do decide the go with the F-III, do not go with the 98 700, the bottom ends on this particular year of sleds never seem to hold together.     have yet to hear of people having much probs with the 99 and newer ones though

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Not to argue, but the bottom end issue can be fixed quite easily. My 98 F3 is just fine with 4500 miles on it and it has never been opened up. The F3 and Mach bottom end is the same, as is the 809 and 600 motors. They all use the sealed bearings, but if the motor is ever apart, take the time to have the cases drilled out to install oil lines for extra lube to the bearings. You will find this issue on all the Rotax tripples, and newer twins.

I was looking at the White Star auction site and saw a couple of F3s that went for $2000.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Please do not go with the single pipe triple! The single will run with the triple pipe for about 200 feet then its bye bye after that. I have a 00 800 Flll and went to stock triple pipes, WOW what a difference! Could'nt be happier!
The only need for a single is if you were climbing mountains and needed all the low end you could get.
The 800 would be the best choice because 700's had a lot of crank bearing problems. [been there and done that one too]

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm quite happy with my F3 700, about 5000 miles and no problems, if you are interested in good gas mileage I get 15 MPG all day long.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A friend who has been dragracing a lot in the past can't stop telling his friends that he's been riding my Z...

I haven't tried it on a lake yet (bought it just a couple of weeks ago) but I think it will do just fine! My neighbour has a Mach 1 and he's satisfied with it, but if he could trade for a Z he wouldn't have to think twice!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I am just offering a solution, a sled that has allot of front end travel, and allot of grunt, what the guy wrining the post was asking for. Not to be a jerk, but you people do not have to beat me up for a simple comment.

The F3s are great all around sleds, they might give up some top end power, but they gain allot of trailaility and torque. They just need to be messaged to get it out of them.

Facts. 809 uses same bearings and design as the 700, so why do they last longer? Solution, fog the motor properly and you will never have a crank problem. You will find most people that have had the bearing failures leave them outside or do not fog them. I have had 3 Rotax tripples and have had no failures with them or any other sled. I guess I just got 3 lucky ones huh?

Give me a F3 700 and I can put it next to just about ANY sled in a drag race. Trail setup vs. trail setup.

I used to run 7.0s with my F3 with Carbontech Reeds and Uni Filers. Not 1000 ImpStock numbers, but quick with trail studs. Pulled 110+ MPH on radar.

The F3 700s netted better results with the single pipe than the F3 800. That short stroke is tough to beat in a drag race. many of guys will tell you that in 500 or 660 that the 700 is hard to beat with any cc's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The triple 700 rev's up quicker with it's shorter stroke and
with the FIII 700 stock pipe you get plenty of stump pulling
torque and less weight in the front end. The FIII's have
longer travel in the front which will help more in the
trails then at WFO on the lakes. And like 800MXZ said, the
700 will still get over the 100 MPH mark in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I agree the 700 is a sweet motor! I had a 97 700 and had no motor problems but talked to countless people that did and everyone of them had a crank failure. I'am sure too that a lot of the problems were improper storage or junk oil.
I for one have NEVER fogged an engine with the convential fogging oil. I have always just held the oil pump wide open at idle, shut the fuel off and kept it there until she died. Been doo'in it for 30 years now and NEVER lost an engine. If the Flll is anything like a touring I will take the Mach1-Z anyday.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,
   simple question : how can you fix the problem of the center dump pipe on a 98 mach1: get them ceramic coated, advance tuning,replacing them by a set of machz, ...aftermarket pipe cost to much in canadian dollar...

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
0 Posts
syk84 - I think that would be a great pipe (center dump) to
have ceramic coated. On my 98 Mach 1 pipes I removed the
heat shields and put a layer of header wrap between the
shields and the pipe. If you coat them it will cost about
half the price of new aftermarket pipes. Those pipes do work
well when at temp. and with the center dump, compared to end
outlet, you get a little more torque. Just my .02

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anybody Know how much HP were talkin about by adding the Jaws pipes to the Mach Z?How would the piped sled match up to a bone stock one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts