Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will be biased so I posted on both. I am looking at used (1999-2002) Mach Z''s and Tcats. Can anyone tell me pros/cons of each. Which will peform better. Twisty trails, long trails, lakes, gas mileage, power, short drags, long drags and aftermarket mods. Basically anything you care to comment on. Oh, and if anyone has one for sale let me know!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
MACH Z, MACH Z, MACH Z

Reasons - Power, HANDLING (once equiped with presison skis). And they are still made.

Nothing compairs to an 809...

In a Drag the MachZ will win. In top end opinions get blured but I have seen a Mach Z go faster.

I dont have the time to compleat this post, But i will be back to post later.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
T-Cat has huge HP, but stock vs stock, I think the Mach is setup better. They are both good sleds, and both probably faster than anyone actually needs ;) . Pick a dealer and away you go :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a mach Z. I like the sled and I have always liked skidoo, reasons to like skidoo there fit and finish is heads and tails above cat and they look better in my opinion. But alot of my friends ride t-cats and when were up north and we switch I find my self not wanting to give it back it handles really well and feels faster even though when we race there sleds only may beat me buy 2 sleds at the most they have a good yank to them. But my mach z has a smoother power band than cat. So I feel comfortable letting my wife drive my sled it dosent feel like its yanking her arms off when she gets on the gas. so its a toss up right now if I could do it all over again I would go with a t-cat but if you find a good deal on a doo dont pass it up its still a realy nice sled.

Duane

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Mach Z. But I'm biased also.

However I used to ride a cat, and switched to doo, and am happy I did.

Really though, I think you will like either, so maybe it will depend on price and availability of what you can find.

FishHog

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the honest answers. I didnt want to turn this into a brand bashing post and neither did you. Thats pretty cool!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
personal preferance realy.... if u want to be the fastest and the quickest then it is a machz your after if your not realy competetive and dont race well then they are both good sleds if u could try them both out then decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends on riding you do. I just sold a 1999 Polaris XCR 700 last season - triple/triple/tripe. Extremely fast, pull the skis at 20 mph....mid range was unbeatable. But, I sold and went with a 2002 MXZ 800 for this season. Trying the high output twin. did race 1999 MXZ 600 last season, beat me out of the hole and even till around 40/50.

For me, I would take smaller motor, but better suspension.....the triple will be heavy...

Ride on... :cussing:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 99 Mach Z, and my 5 of my buddies had T Cats ranging in years from 97-2001. The Z never lost a race although the 98 1000 was the closest of the bunch. Even the 99 1000 w/ pipes was not as fast top end.
I will agree the Tcats handled better, but not a lot, and the looks as well as the fit and finish of the Mach Z was no comparsion. The Tcats went better when going slower in deep snow, but if you want to go fast the Z is where its at. It sure was fun having 172 hp 1000cc sleds behind the 152hp, 800cc Mach.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The Tcat wont even hold a stick in the handling department once you put presision skis on the Mach.

The MachZ is the Fastest both accel and topend. In my opinion it has the better engine as well. It will come with RAVE Valves and it can come with RER (Reverse with 0 weight), DPM (Like fuel injection with benifits of carb), MPEM (The computer that controls everything from timing to Reverse, DESS(Theft security system).

The MachZ also has much better fit and finish. IMO it has the best fit and finish and the nicest looking engine out of all the skidoos.

Either way you will have a amazing sled that can blow the doors off most anything.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Look at the tolerances of the two sleds engines, pipes, heads, clutches, Ski-doo by a far margin is closest on everything. Just pull the pipes on a Tcat and look in the beginning flange, you will want to grab a Dye grinder immediately and clean out the unbelievably crappy welds that are restricting your exhaust. THe rest of engine tolerances for clearances will be like they were built in 2 places. That is why the Mach Z kicks many of them to pieces. Plus you get a real fuel guage, and external adjusting primary clutch, and bigger oil tank. ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would be scared of the T-cats because of the counter balanced crankshaft
and water pump issues..Have heard many owners with horror stories about the cranks/water pumps going bad. BIG bucks to repair!

I know that the Crankshop will repair any crank made except for a triple Cat.. Must be a reason.

Evel

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mach Z of course.
But I seen a TCat moded to the ######!
This thing had evey thing under the sun on it. Even had a turbo!
I didnt see any radar numbers but this sled was just killing all the competition!
I watched this guy give stock sleds a 2-3 second head start and still beat them.

Under normal conditions, buy a Mach Z :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
there's no replacement for displacment! :p

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Is that all the Cat guys can come up with???

The Z by far, is superior in all aspects but one. displacement.

8 out of 10 drag races, the Mach prevails, not bad for 200cc's smaller IMO.

Bombardier is in a class way above the rest. The company, the employees, the facilities, etc, is top notch quality and satisfaction........

·
Registered
529 Posts
Originally posted by FIRE SCRAP@Oct 18 2002, 07:08 PM
ride with the big boys , (t-cat)
nice,
anything that will do 110mph + in my mind is a big boy, whether it's a 700, 800 or 1000 cc.

All I know is if my buddy's sled is faster, he'll beat me back to the cottage at the end of the day, and drink all the beer. :dazed: :crazy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts