Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to stud my 2003 Mach Z w/ 168 0.92" Woody's (track profile height is 0.88"). My dealer has suggested I use a bulkhead protector in addition to the tunnel protectors. This entails extra material and labor cost. Does anyone have experience with studding the Mach Z CK-3 chassis and if so, do you suggest I use the bulkhead protector?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You really should use them, clearance is tight on the CK-3. I had them on mine but took them off after installing a paddle track, best thing I ever did to a sled! Tracksion is bad enough on the mighty 809 and 168 studs will do little to nothing for hook-up. 192 is ok but you really need 240. After 144 studs your top end really drops off.
I have a pair of protectors in excellent shape, would you like to buy them?

·
Registered
209 Posts
With a stock track I was running 192 1.175 and the sled would hook good on a hard packed rd. You have to set up the sled to transfer weight well. Dont run those .920 studs you wont get enuff penetration into the road or ice. Also good Idea to run protectors on your sled you will be sorry if somethng where to happen and there not that mutch money. I made mine at work.

Duane

·
Registered
57 Posts
i would install them i have them on my 2000 machz friends of mine didn't have them on there machz and have gouged the tunnel in the front for the few extra dollars it costs for them it is worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey MOT,
Congrats on the powerful lake runner. I suggest you buy those tunnel protectors. The investment is minimal and could save you big bucks and aggravation down the road.

I will recomend a stud that you will be very happy with. Prior to slapping these on my track I would usually dart out of the hole 1-2 sled lengths ahead of most of the guys that I ride / race with; I had the .92" 60 degree 7mm by woody's. After those wore out or bent I replaced them with the mighty Woody 45 degree gold digger with a 5/16 shaft. Your top choice in length should be the 1.075" (GDP-107M) or the 1.175 (GDP-117M). The price difference between these performance studs and the ones that you mentioned (.92" 60 degree) is about $3-$5 per 48. If you run the 1.175 you need to make sure that you don't run with a loose track (some guys do this to reduce rotating friction). If you get the 1.075" penetration will be reduced but you'll be able to run a slighty looser track. You should also consider going with 192 studs as opposed to 168. The round woody's aluminum backers are light and durable and make installation easier because you don't have to worry about squaring them with the lug. Once intalled you won't have to inspect the backers after every ride to make sure that they haven't rotated on you. Don't get the X-calibar colored-plastic ULTRALITE backer/nut combination - they strip easily.

You probably want to know what kind of difference these studs made on my sled. I kid you NOT - Off the line I am pulling these guys by 4-6 lengths. I don't have the sled with the biggest ba!!s (CC) so the 800 and 900 will catch me depending on the distance we run. But now I get quite a lead because of those studs.
Good LUCK; BLK700

1 - 5 of 5 Posts