Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the same thing happened again .... no spark ! brought the sled back to the dealer .... the thing started first pull . I asked the guy about the stater ... he said if it was the stater it would'nt work at all ! he said it's eather good or bad no in betweens . So is this true or what ? I need some big time help here .... I was thinking it maybe the CDI but it checked out good to .... it may have a small crack in it and getting some moisture in there
 But they said it was fine ... I don't know what to do .... I don't want to start replacing things that are'nt broke . Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
HI THERE MY STATOR WHEN IT WHENT I CUT OUT ONE DAY THEN STARTED THEN JUST BEFORE IT WHENT OUT FOR THE LAST TIME I WAS GOING ACROSS THE LAKE AND IT CUT AGAIN BUT AFTER COOLING IT RESTARTED.SO IT IS POSSSIBLE THAT IT IS THE STATOR. AND LAST WEAKEND A GUY WAS OUT WITH A FORMULA 800 HE SAID HIS SLED LOST SPARK A COUPLE OF TIMES AND THOUGHT MABE HAD WATER SOMEWHERE BUT IT WAS THE STATER

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea how much a stater is here in Canada ? and is it a hard job to do ?  I don't trust these shops anymore ..  

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
My stator was replaced last season with the new style.  First trip out this season I was setting idling an it died just like I hit the kill switch.  One pull and I realized that I had no ignition and confirmed it by pulling a plug and checking for spark. One of my buds said that his 98 did the exact same thing and reached in with a stick and wiggled the wires directly under my carbs. One pull and it fired right up.  It happened 3 more times over the course of 4 days.  each time I wiggled the wires and it fired up.  Look down there, you'll see the harness.  The harness is resting on a metal plate, my guess is there is a spot where the insulation has worn causing it to ground out. Oh yea, my sled was 99 MachZ.  Yea, I know, the wires were supposed to be better insulated for 99.  The harness actually does run thru a plastic casing but this is where the casing stops.

·
Registered
25 Posts
my dealer and i are going through the same thing also .
he thinks i'm nuts,or a constant complainer.
it runs on 2 cylinders when hot,most of the time but when its cold it runs on 3.
i told him to drive it for awhile and he will see,150khm at 7000rpm top speed.i told him i bought a machz not a mach chicken

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone - I have similar problems with my 98 FIII 700. It would run for a few minutes and then die. I replaced the stator, thought I had it fixed because I went on a 100 mile ride with no problems. Then just today I was going for a spin and it just died (while idleing) sitting in my driveway. So much for the bad stator theory.

I checked the trigger coil - resistance in spec, output voltage seemed OK. I checked the DESS also but not sure of the spec. Assuming the trigger coil is OK, it only leaves two things - wiring harness (dealer did the update on my sled) and CDI box.

I may have to pull the motor to see what's going on under there. Never pulled the motor before.

Looks like I need to disconnect the coolant and oil lines. leads to some questions:

1. How do I bleed the air out of the coolant and oil lines?
2. How do I realign the clutches?

THanks!

JD

·
Registered
71 Posts
:) when ,y stator went bad it would only run on two cyl and very weak spark on the mag side...

will ski doo pay for this if i call and compain if its the first time??? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts