Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 96 Mach-z Took it out for a ride on saturday , it was running great ...raced a mxz800 ...hahaha  killed him !!! pulled of the side of the trail and my sled died ? Pulled the pluggs and no spark , after about 30min started to get a light  orange spark , Took it to a Polaris shop and again it quit no spark . the guy took it to the shop checked all the wires unpluged them still no spark . What do you guys think ? stater plate , and if so is it a hard job to do . Let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My bet would be stator, however, most of  the Doo dealers can check your stator for you.   It's worth the labor cost to have it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was riding with a friend this weekend and he has a 1995 Mach z. The sled just died. We thought it was a frozen gas line then realized it had no spark after a couple of hours in the garage after a tow home we found a wire between the carbs and the block that was shorting out. Did the repair and the sled is back on the trail. Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
you can use a test light or a multi meter to see if you are getting voltage off the stator. my experience has been that a problem like yours is usually in the secondary coil they heat up and seem to short out then cool down and will work some. also check the inside of each plug type connector in the sled for corrosion use a little dielectric grease when you put them back together to prevent moisture and corrosion in the future

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,

just had the same problem with my 98 mach 1 and it is was not the stator,my sled died with no spark.take it to the bombardier dealer and they replace the electronic control module!( big job badly place under the motor&#33

syk!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently had a similar problem with my 98 Mach Z. I rode it over to a buddies and it was running fine. When I went to start it again it ran for a few seconds then died (no spark). I later discovered that it would start again after I bounced the front end a few times. Funny thing is when I tried this when it was running it wouldn't even flinch. Checked my stator and all the wiring I could short of pulling the motor and found nothing. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the CDI box (at least it looks that way - so far so good).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just had a buddy's 98 MachZ he drove out of his garage shut it off, go to load up, no start ,no spark. Stator good, wiring under engine, insalation worn right off three wire's shorted to bulk head.  Had to pull engine to find and repair wiring, it was not easy to spot, look real good.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing I forgot to tell ya , is when I first start the sled ..my RPM gage bounces around I seen that before we took off ... Hay idajack where is the secondary coil and how do I check that ? And Mr670 I checked all the wiring above the motor , but did'nt check under ... so I have to pull the motor to check those wires . You know the bad thing about this I drove 3.5 hours to find snow and drove the sled 2 miles total and had to turn around and go back home , Man that sucked  !!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Bigmac: It will be the stator, have seen lots of them go just like that. The wiring has not been a problem on the 93-97 MachZ,s. Dino

·
Registered
15 Posts
It just could be the trigger assembly. It could have slid up or the bracket could have broken. Look under the recoil. A friend of mine had the bracket break. He has a 96 780 Mach Z. Had to replace the assembly and re-time it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts