Snowmobile World banner

Mach Zs Are Dying....

6K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  kennypope 
#1 ·
I was walking around the Novi Show and saw a sign on a Mach Z $5499.00. If that really was the price, and it probably is, the Mach Z will not be with us long. I believe that is less than a 600 twin sells for! I told Doo that if they dropped the price on a big triple, put in the SC10 III latest and greatest suspension, put DPM on it and made the motor rock solid, they wouldn't be able to keep up with sales. Boy was I WRONG!! They have dropped the price below 600 twins which is unbelievable, put all of the best stuff they have on the sled, gave it the most rock solid motor Doo makes, with gas mileage better than the 600 twin, and they can't give them away!

The Mach Z is going to be discontinued, it is just a matter of time. I am amazed that people complained the the Mach didn't have the SC10 III so Doo put it in there, then DPM, Doo put it in there, Gas mileage? better than a 600 twin, Reverse? it's in there! Reliability? The best motor Doo has right now. I saw guys looking past the Mach Z (totally disinterested) to look at MXZ 600 twins. I still say UNBELIEVABLE!! Then these same guys will spend a least $1,000.00 trying to make the sled faster and complaining it doesn't have enough speed or power. This is the same for the 700 and 800 twins too. Constant posts on how to get more top end out of the 800 twins. Clutch kits, pipes, shim kits, exhaust restrictors and on and on to get a few more horsepower at the cost of thousands.

A Mach Z with all the good stuff brand new for the price of a POLARIS SPORT 550 Fan! I just don't get it!!! Buy the Mach Z and put a 1.25 inch track on it and it's finished. You would have the fastest, most trail reliable sled with awesome gas mileage. With DPM it is just a start and ride rocket. No wrenching required!

Skidoo, thanks for trying. You have really done all that can be asked to keep the Mach Z alive, INCLUDING giving them away. I wish it would have worked out. I now believe your corporate marketing guys are 100% correct, you can make much more money making and selling twins. It is much better for the stockholders. The riders don't really seem to want all that much power. A 600 gas guzzling twin will pretty much satisfy them..........

I'm going to go lift a drink to toast the memory of the Mach Z.......... (It will be my 7th toast, can you tell?)

See less See more
#4 ·
It surely is a sad day! If I was in need to replace my 2000 Z I woud have bought one by now. Yes, the money is in the twins, quite frankly, the parts end of it.
The 7 & 800 buyers go out and spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to make them go faster when all they had to do is buy a MachZ or Mach 1 with about the same amount of bucks tied up in it!
The media has pounded it into our heads that we MUST have a lighter sled and it MUST handle like it's on rails, HOGWASH!! The money is in parts, ask any dealer.
Look at the rings that have to be replaced every 1500 miles in both 7 & 800 models, that alone will make them millions!
When it comes time for me to buy again and I cant find a leftover Z and the twins are still a headache I will be looking into a brand :cussing:

#5 ·
I know that the Mach's have a big cult following, and you can see why, but the bottom line with these sleds are they are pigs on the trails. Compaired to the zx twins. I had a F-3 800 with porting and jaws pipes and did everything else to improve handling, like a widening kit sc 10 conversion kit better shocks and so on. But when I tried my little bro's new mxz 800 when they came out, I was sold just on its bottom end grunt and crisp handling. Sure when we lined up for a 660 ft run i still smoked him, but after a blast threw the twisties, I was burnt out and he was fresh as a dasie!!! :hallo3:

#6 ·
Triple/triples will be back

Everybody is jumpimg on the twin new crave.

some people are jumping on the 4 stroker new crave.

But you cannot let a better design drop forever.

I mean look at what their giving up, 120 deg fireing angle, dramatic increase in HP at a tuned pipe frequency, smoothness.

All the years and research will re-surface, don't worry about it.

Don't let the companies tell you how to ride. If I want to ditchbang or turn 2 single jumps to 1 double, I'll use my lighter twin.
But when it comes to all out cross country racing/riding I'll stick with my heavier triple/triple.

Give it time - triple/triple will come back and everybody will jump on the "new" crave.

#7 ·
Something doesn't jive with that price, the Mach is the most expensive(other than maybe some of the fancy 2 up stuff). To me its not the price anyway, its how dam heavy it is. My MXZ is as heavy as I want.,and boy it sure is a blast to get on the wifes 440 fan on a real tight trail, its that much more fun.Sure running lakes and straight rail beds is fun, .....for 10 min at a time. I sure don't want to wrestle one through fast tight trails all day. If they put a triple in a ZX of even better yet, a new better chassis, I'd buy one in a minite. I ride to have fun, not fight a sled all day, same reason i'd never even think of buying an RX1, same reason, to heavy. Maybe when I'm 50 and want to just cruise along, the weight won't be an issue, but it sure is right now.

#8 ·
right now sno-cross is the rave, sometime soon the point A to point B sleds will be back. drag racing sleds it is the cheapest form of racing there is and all of us people are not in the physical condition that sno-cross demands. the big power sleds will be back.

#9 ·
fast mach z has some very good points,and yes im guilty of wanting more from my 800 twin,i love the 800 3x3 power,its the chasis that i dont like,i even tried the 800 triple single pipe,i wish that motor was in a zx instead of the ck3,both 800 tripples are very solid reliable motors,and are so smooth,but the ck3 is a one dimensional sled,tripples will be back because there is a market for them,but the #1 sled sales are the 600 range,insurance is also getting out of hand ,but thats another story....im buying a new sled in 2005 and im hoping big time that they come out with a tripple in a different chasis

#10 ·
To those of you still hung up on the weight issue of "heavy" 3x3's, just curious, do you normally ride around with a full tank of gas or a quarter tank? The reason I'm asking is that three quarters of a tank of gas weighs in the neighborhood of 75 lbs. Why is it that nobody complains about this added weight while riding (especially since this is weight that constantly shifts around when flying through the twisties)??? One would think that it would have a more dramatic effect on handling than the 75 lbs of stationary weight from an extra cylinder and two pipes. Just some food for thought!

P.S. - For all it's worth, my "lightweight, excellent handling" XCR600 (single pipe monoblock) tired me out more than my "heavy, ill handling" Mach Z does (it's probably worth mentioning that normal riding speeds in Manitoba are seldom under 40 mph - if our terrain was more like a snowcross track where you are constanly turning and with top speeds of around 50 mph then it would be a different story!). Each to there own but I won't be trading in my big block Camaro for a punched out CRX anytime soon! Enjoy what you have and stop worrying so much about the extra weight that us die hard triple lovers have to lug around, we'll be alright!!!

#11 ·
I think the Mach Z is # 1 for me, but My other sled is a 2001 MXZ600 and I have gotten almost 18 mpg on a regular basis on groomed trails, My mach Z gets 10 to 12. The new 600's may be hogs, who knows yet? I would trade 2 out of 3 of my sleds to get a new even slightly lighter Mach Z! Long live the Z- Laugh at the big vibration twin John Deere type piston eaters! :hallo2:

#12 ·
Originally posted by Sharkey@Nov 3 2002, 12:42 PM
I think the Mach Z is # 1 for me, but My other sled is a 2001 MXZ600 and I have gotten almost 18 mpg on a regular basis on groomed trails, My mach Z gets 10 to 12. The new 600's may be hogs, who knows yet? I would trade 2 out of 3 of my sleds to get a new even slightly lighter Mach Z! Long live the Z- Laugh at the big vibration twin John Deere type piston eaters! :hallo2:
yes todays tripples are very reliable,but lets not forget the early years,the machz started in 93 and has had a few porblems over the years,give the big twins 9 years of development

#13 ·
that was spicers price they bought out some dealers and got there stock and left over sleds. Thats why is such a good deal. Only thing I have to say about doo is if they loose the mach z they better come up with some thing faster than the 800 twin. Like a real 900 or 1000 twin. Dont do a cat and make a 850 and call it a 900

Duane

#14 ·
Just got back from Novi. All I can say is a Big Dude needs a big sled. Therefore I laid down my $5,499.00 and will pick up my new Z on Thursday. I couldnt be happier. It was the best deal at the show bar none!!!

#15 ·
Originally posted by RockZ@Nov 3 2002, 12:36 PM
To those of you still hung up on the weight issue of "heavy" 3x3's, just curious, do you normally ride around with a full tank of gas or a quarter tank? The reason I'm asking is that three quarters of a tank of gas weighs in the neighborhood of 75 lbs. Why is it that nobody complains about this added weight while riding (especially since this is weight that constantly shifts around when flying through the twisties)??? One would think that it would have a more dramatic effect on handling than the 75 lbs of stationary weight from an extra cylinder and two pipes. Just some food for thought!

!!!
Its nothing to do with the extra cyl and pipe, its the OLD CHASSIS its IN. I'd love a 800 triple, but I'm NOT going to drag one around the trail that feels heavier that what I have now. I had a 96 F3 and LOVED the sled, but it was too bam unruly in the trails. If Yamaha can make a nice light feeling triple sled(thats all I have rode, never tried a cat or polarass)why can't Doo??

#17 ·
:( ya know its to bad the big triples are dieing out they had so many good qualities .the biggest killer of the triple in my opinion was the media the magazines .they praised the twins for being light weight.the only down fall in my experience owning them was weight but it really wasn't that bad.i now own twins and enjoy them but i would buy a triple again.the triples could easily be popular again if they were put in updated chassis's.but they are basically being over looked and the mags are to blame in my opinion.i think sledding is going backwards now because the manufacture are producing these light weight chassis's that will only fit a 2 stroke twin.with the 4-strokes coming out they will not fit in the rev or firecat chassis because of size plus these 4-stroke sleds will weigh more than anything we have riden to present time.so the manufactures are going to have to start over with new chassis's that will fit a 4-stroke and quess what a 2-stroke triple.time will tell.so.so long to the triple for now,in my opinion they were the best sleds produced to date ,they will be missed
godspeed triples ??? ;) :thumbsup: :(

#18 ·
I raise a toast to BigDude! You bought the best deal at the entire show. You will love that sled. Al of you twin owners, I need an education. What is the big difference between the CK3 and the MXZ chassis? They both have the same rear suspension, the SC 10 III, I'm missing something here. Where is the MXZ getting this handling edge? Is the front suspension that much different? I need to park side by side to a 800 twin and compare them. Better yet, I need to ride one!

BigDude, I respect you, you have a better sled than mine! That DPM is sure going to be nice......

#19 ·
Yes fast mach there are many diffs. in the geometry. The CK's front end was basically the prototype to the unequal length front in the ZX. The short comings of the CK were corrected in the ZX. There are many similarites yet many differences between the two. In my opinion there are few sleds that equal the raw power & stability of the CK in the wide open fast trails of say greater quebec. To an even greater degree I also had a '99 GTSE that I put 2000 mach z stock pipes on, what a great, comfortable, fast trail sled that was.

#20 ·
Hi Ski-Doo nen!

Ski-Doo likes others compagny are to make money!!! When we have all 2 cylinders engine all wish to have 3 cylinders engine!!! And when all us have 3 cylinders engine(heavy) why not to have 2 cylinders engine(a little less heavy) and this a new fashion who cost less and help to do more money to snowmobile compagny!!!
Two cylinder engine and frame of snowmogiles with less pieces help compagny to do more money!!!
And if you do 20000 milles on a Z engine like me ,it's not very good for Ski-Doo to sell motor remplacement parts! Good luck if you do 20000 milles on a 6,7 or 800 cc engine!!!
The best thing to do more money is to etablish new fashion year after year !!
I don't buy fashion, i buy what seems good ,solid,durable and fiable to me!!!
I work hard to have money and i like to spend it for what i think the best!!
If Ski-Doo does'n make better than a Z .I will buy a used Z in one or two year,it's a good deal!

It's my opinion!! ;) Z36Qc Take care.....! SWRules

#21 ·
Spicers didn't get those machs from another dealer, they got them directly from Doo.

I was at the white star snowmobile auction yesterday where over 1000 sleds were auctioned off. There were at least 4 machZ's that went thru that ended up being pulled because the bidding never made it anywhere close to the minimum the seller wanted.

Mint 2000, 2001 Ski-doo 800 Grand tourings were going between 2,500 and 3,300. They were absolutely gorgious! So good looking, My buddy couldn't resist and bought one for $3,000. Not a scratch with 3,000 miles.

The touring sleds in the MXZ chassis with twins were going in the high 4's and low 5's with higher miles!

#22 ·
Yeah, they were showing $5499 on the tag, but just to the right it showed the freight and prep to go along with it. Totaled about 5900 or so (I think). Then, if you live in Mi., you add 6% tax. I'd say you'd end up with about 62-6300 dollars in the sled. Good, but not all that great. Spicer's is nothing but a rip-off, generally speaking.

Cheers, Mark ;)

#23 ·
it realy is kindda funny the older sleds where all twins then they said u have to go tripples they are way smoother they wont rattle your arms off and so on.....lol. now its all back to square one dont buy tripples buy twins what will it be next dont buy 2 cylcle buy 4 stroke....lol. again most of u guys must ride on some pretty bad trails or mabe your just not a very big guy...im not shure. for someone that 6``+ and 200lbs+ u still need the bigger sleds. i could see a light guy having trouble with the big blocks.....lol. i have seem some big guys on an srx and i tell yah....lmao. damn. i buy my trail passes and thats where i ride i dont ride in ditchs xcross. for what i do the ck fills the bill perfect...... :p. i like the most are saying that thry ride from start to finish at full throttle in ditches alllllll day long lol damn thats a big ditch.......hehehe

#24 ·
I guess the people that say 800 triples are very reliable never owned a 93-99 mach z, All these years they had trouble with cranks, stators, but mainly cranks. I know that the 2000 model year onwards have been pretty good, but thats alot of years to get the bugs out. The 800 twins are only on year 3 and yes there's bugs but I don't think as bad. I put 5000km's on my gade 800 last season, and the only thing done was change the y pipe and heat shielding over the pipe (waranty) My dealer pulled apart the motor and everything looked good, and I still have this season with waranty, so if I put another 5k on her I'll problably get the motor rebuilt for free. My 97 mach 1 needed a crank after the first season, and my 99 f-3 800 also needed a crank after it's first season.
The sled mags do put out there impressions, but my own impression is what dictates my perchase. We can argue for ever on the triple/twin debate, but what people are buying is what the oem's will concentrate on. If mach z sales are down. How can they keep making it. I just traded my f-3 800 for a rev 800 (kept the gade for the wife) I know i'm going to miss my triple but after trying better handling sleds, I know its time to let it go. :)

#26 ·
limskii.....now you have to fill us in :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.