Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried it again, clutches as close to aligned as I can get them. Conditions were a little powdery, but once again 90 all I could get. My buds fz 583 would stay w/ me for 20-30 yards, then I would pull strong to 70 mph, and not pull on him any more. My bros ultra 680w/slp pipes would stay side by side, and he pulls on me after 90. My 97 mach 1 would not pull on them untill about 60, but then it was by by to both, right up to 110. I cant figure it. All stock 98 except for dyno can and 192 pics, same as my 97. I put a 230-380 primary, rest is stock, 286, solid pins straight 50, clikers on #3. Any ideas? What about 52-44 helix, like a 97 mach. I was thinking about pipes, but with proper clutching, I should be able to run w/any sled in 660.

·
Registered
361 Posts
thor700, you could at least try the 52-44 cam if you want, but I don't think that is your problem. Also, the '97 Mach 1's stock cam is a 50-47, but they usually ran better with the straight 50 and the rest of the stock clutching. Did you check the rave valves for smooth operation ? At the max. speed of 90 mph., are the revs staying at max. (about 8200-8300rpm.) ? If you still have the stock muffler, try it, some of the aftermarket mufflers have too much or usually too little backpressure for the stock pipes, which can affect top speed greatly (I especially think that those center outlet pipes on the '98's were sensitive to backpressure changes). I track dynoed my '97 Mach 1 in '99 with a DNE (3 into 1) muffler, which lost about 2 h.p. from eng. to 50 mph then gained 4 h.p. from 50 mph to 85 mph compared to the stock muffler. I also dynoed a Fast (3 into 3) mufflers, I gained 4 h.p. from eng. to 50 mph, then lost up to 11 h.p. from 50 mph to 85 mph compared to the stock muffler. I had a max. of 79 h.p. at the track with the DNE. You should also check track tension and all your drive train bearings for wear, as this also robs power to the track.
Hope this helps !

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Did you do a compression test?   How's your crank? Rings might be burnt.  Sounds real familiar to me.  Crank bearings o.k.?  I would put the stock can on it and try it.  Then have these things checked out.  Also,  If your primary is hot after running, you are slipping the belt, if that is the case try 22-24lbs. on the secondary.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the rest of your engine checks out ok and you have proper working clutches,you might want to get different pipes.Those center dump pipes suck.I worked on a 98 mach 1 and from stock it would pull like crazy till 90 then petered out and worked to get 100 or more,we put dyno port or crank shop pipes(dont remember wich) did proper jetting ,reeds,etc. and now the thing rips. just a suggestion though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well i have a 98 Mach 1 700 and if your only getting to 90 something is definetly wrong! Mine is bone stock except for a MBRP can, and at radar runs in a 1000ft i get about 99 under good weather condtions, on hardpack without my studded track it races up to 100-105 then the accerlation finally slows down, so hope you get yours fixed cuz its a ripper!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hiyah thor: do u know what it is [email protected]? to me sounds like u have way to many studs. here is a little comparo. i ran a guywith the same sled same year both new. i had 144stds he had 198. he would pull me for about 2 sled lengths for about 100feet after that i was gone. he could only pull 99mph i was pulling 109mph he then pulled some studs out after bugging him he then started runing fine. close to 1 mph pr lbs of studs on the track; and that number grows with less hp. if your going 500feet put lots if its speed go less.....less rotating mass =speed. try it its a cheap thing to try.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you have to get thoes pipes hot for that sled to run good.  I have a 98 F 111 700 with crank shop pipes and evey thing else.  have you tried 280 in your clutch. whats your gearing
280 work the best for me, expeshly in 660 feet.  i tried 286 with the pink white spring and got simler results at the start of winter.  I would try a 230 -320 spring that might even be the stock one for the 98 Mach1

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,

the center dump pipe is a real problem on the 98 mach1, do you think by there  a way to make them generated more like ceramic coating, retard timing,close all vent??? or the best way is to buy aftermarket pipe? i know i am losing h.p with those pipe and top speed...and it's even worse with less restrictive B&B eliminator...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts