Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets be nice about this one!

I currently ride a 00 MXZ 600.  I am thinking about purchasing a new sled. Since I am a Doo man, I would like to buy a Ski-doo but I really think the Rev looks like crap. Sure, the ride will probably be great but I just dont like it, Period!

Now, a friend of mine has a 01 XC600. Nice looking sled but there are several things I dont like. Front end seems to long, handlebars have this weird terrible angle, and even the owner agrees that the suspension kinda sucks.

Lets get one thing straight!  Both sleds are stock. His XC600 would pull my MXZ 600 by about 1.5 sled lenghts UNTIL I did a MINOR clutch adjustment.  Now both sleds are dead equal. This makes me wonder if Ski-doo techs are really doing their homework.

I am interested on buying a ProX 600. Does any one have some solid info for me since every dealer I go to just seems to try and bulls**t me into a sale.
If I dont buy Ski-doo, It will be Polaris!

·
Registered
561 Posts
How are you .... Well I'm a Doo man my self ... But ALL my buddys have Polaris ..... And don't tell them I'm saying this ... But they are good sleds .... it's all in set up ... I've been on them all ..... and the 600 xc's rock ...... no dought about it ...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
To each their own, but in your position, the best reason I can think of for going with a Polaris, is the availability of the M-10 suspension. That Pro is great for a ditch banger, and that's fun for a while, but what about the rest of the time?

A trail rider,
AL

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
THe XC600 is probably a better sled then the Mxz600 in terms of racing and the M-10 suspention is hands down better then the SC-10 for everything other then dragracing.  

If you were to choose between a XC 600 or an other MXZ 600 Zx then i would say go for the XC becasue they are faster and have  a better suspention.

But I would wait till the rev is on the trails.  It might grow on you.  And the Rev 600 is pumping out drag numbers like the MXZ800, it is by far the quickest 600.  And it will have the best handling.  So if looks are the onlything stoping you then its a shame becase its awsome sled.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well like you I think the Rev is Ugly!! I was a Cat man and I had a '97 zrt 600 until it burst in to flames then I bought a '02 440 Pro-X fan. The 600 is pretty close to the 440fan other than the engines. The pro-x's are all out race machines. The suspension both front and back is top of the line Polaris. Front has RydeFX shoxs and stronger trailing arms. The rear skid also uses Ryde FX's the rear shock is a clicker shock with remote res. The sled has dead on handling and way better ergos than any other polaris. The base price on a 02 600 pro-x is $7,599.  I hopes this Helps. I would get a copy of the the Winter 2001-02 SNOWTECH MAGAZINE, the article name is RARE BREEDS. The cover has 2 vipers on it 1red and 1 blue and a A/C 02 440 sno pro on the cover.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys, thanks for the replies. I was at a Polaris dealer today(the one my friend got his at) and he gave me some insight.  I think I might have changed my mind on which sled I would like to buy.  
The Polaris dealer told me to KEEP my MXZ another year (figure that out, he talked me out of a sale). He told me to come back when there is snow on the ground and he will let me take a demo sled for a ride.  I fell in love with the new SKS 700.
I like ditch banging and really big jumps. But I also like the deep powder that northern Ontario and Quebec gets.
The dealer said that with some suspension adjustments and some stronger suspension components the SKS would be able to handle big bumps and jumps.  
The 03 SKS 700 also has a small bend at the end of the suspension rails that makes the SKS feel like a short track on the trail but has the capabilities of a long track in the powder. JUST WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. Plus it looks AWSOME!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yoiu won't be happy with a SKS. There is a reason polaris tried to make there SKS to be like a DOO Renegade. Doo stole the whole idea from Polaris and perfected it. Many,Many mags have stated that a Gade is the best all round sled for 95% of the riders. You REALLY need to try a gade. Alot more power than a polaris also and much better resale. My polaris dealer doesn't even order any for it's stock as no-one buys them.
Caleb

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sled Dogg, Do you have a 'Gade?
I'm thinking of getting one next year if things work out.
How do you like it? Anything you don't like about it?
Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sled Dogg,

02 SKS=GEN2, extra 10 suspension, not bad but not up to the new stuff including a Renegade

03 SKS=Edge Chassis, Edge Suspension, completely different package

I too read the articles saying that the Renegade was the right sled for most riders, but in my recollection they were saying that the hybrid 144" sled would suit the needs of most riders and that in '02 the Renegade was the best.  '03 is a whole different matter.

I guess I don't know enough about either to make a recommendation.  While I currently ride Polaris, the Renegade perked my interest last year, and if I were in the market would strongly consider just about any Doo, lets just compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't have one Greenstreak just otheres who do and you can ask LadyK or Permafrost about them. Thje SKS still isn't designed for the trails. I looked it over quite well at Nelsons and I spoke with a dealer this week. He wouldn't order any for his own stock. The '03 is tons better than the '02 SKS but it's no Gade. I have nothing against Polaris as they are a good reliable machine but if itwas my money it would be the Gade all day no question. I've actually though of picking one up if i don't buy any other sleds. I don't think I'll be adding a 136 to my project sled now so a Gade may be in my future.
Caleb

·
Registered
791 Posts
The 03 Polaris SKS looks great but why would they spank a 144" track under it, 136" is more reasonable this thing looks just like an RMK to me just less track depth and different jetting/clutching.  That 144" track just is not as versatile as a 136"  and doesn't make sense for a flat lander.  Jumping with a 144"  with out enough snow for the landings would be destruction, just bent rails.  What was Polaris thinking?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm guessing that they aren't aware of the demand for performance trail machines with 136x1.25 conversions under them. I know of several, and the guys are raving about them.
Thinking of doing one on my XCR800 in an attempt to try and get a little more power to the ground instead of spinning wildly.

Couldn't agree more on the SKS 700, it's very close to right.
The 144 will stop me too.

AL

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have to say pushing that 144" might seem a little like driving a stretch limo in the trails. I have found that the GADE is great on water, in the powder and on the trail. The only Polaris in our pack next year will be an sks.We pounded the s#$t out of our GADES last year and they handled everything we could dish out without bending or warping anything! We were all expecting to bend or warp something.We have the tunnel reinforcements on the GADE and it saw some pretty long drops and high jumps. My recomendation would be to try one of these machines, doo what you have to to try it ........ cause once you doo you wont look back

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Chuckman im shocked. Were you not at the uxbridge waterfest this spring. You saw the gades on water

My new gade will be here in a month or two . After driving a 136" there is no way i could ever ride a 121" again, the same can be said for a 1.25" track.  This year im even upping the ante to a 1.75"

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Chuck, I'm kind'a like you...IF I ever switch brands, It would probably be to a Polaris.  My buddy bought the ProX 600 last year while we were in Munising.  We ride pretty hard, and the trails last year were extremely rough, and he was very pleased w/the sled.  The only thing I didn't like, was it's lack of displacement, but Polaris took care of that this year w/the 700 & 800.  Word of warning though, the hood will crack if you rearend a CAT to avoid a groomer.  

·
Registered
111 Posts
My son has a 02 600 proX,he's 5'11'',145lbs and rides without  
fear,he loves that sled,now myself,I'm 6',265lbs,and 43 yrs.so obviously Im not exactly what they had in mind when this sled was being designed,it all depends on your size&riding style,the proX is really sprung stiff,and the ergos are more for standup hard riding,and are great on the trails,just not real comfortable.As far as the 03 sks,all I know is what I've read,the dpr(duel purpose rail)system on the 144 is supposed to allow this sled to perform in both deep snow& on the trails,sounds good,but I want to ride one before dropping $7k on it.I put a 136  1.25" on my 97 ultra spx,and the difference was awsome,it really hooks up,and the front end really gets off the ground,a 121"just does'nt get the ponies to the snow like the 136" does.just my .02,good luck!      

·
Registered
468 Posts
HEY YOU RENEGADE FANS I JUST READ AN ARTICLE IN SNOW TECH MAGAZINE ON THE 03 SKS,THEY SAY IT IS AWESOME.THE REAR OF THE SKID IS TIPED UP SO ALL THE REAR SKID ISN'T ON THE SNOW ON THE HARDPACK.BUT IS IN THE DEEP STUFF.THEY SAY IT RIDES AND HANDLES LIKE A 121" SLED ON THE TRAILS .SO BE PREPARED 03  IS ALOT DIFFERENT THAN 02.DON'T CALL ME ANTI SKI-DOO EITHER CAUSE I OWN BOTH.A 2000 XC700 SP AND A 99 MX-Z 600 AND I LIKE EM BOTH

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Why are you yelling Anteater? We will have a  03 SKS800 riding with Team Renegade this year. Did they say How the SKS was for jumping. I am concerned about durabilty issues that might occur with the skid. I havent read the article yet so i am in the dark, will be getting Snow tech soon.  I will be reporting the how the SKS fares this year.  I look forward too it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts