Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rec'd an e-mail that had a link to an interview by Brett Baer on FOX News. There are flashlight apps people are loading on their smart phones which are accessing your personal data. These apps have been traced to China, Russia and I don't remember the other countries. Just uninstalling is not enough because they have hidden other malware when you installed it.
Here is link to the interiew
Cybersecurity Expert Gary Miliefsky - YouTube

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's another reason my phone is as dumb as a rock ;)

Thanks for the heads up, though. My kidlets have 'em.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I suspect that your information is a bit over-sensationalized. The general consensus among security individuals is that the apps request more permission than they need, users ignore it, and install it anyway. And, ultimately, what ends up happening is that the apps are gleaning data from your phone and sharing it with advertising companies in an attempt to sell you something.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those of you that didn't see the video of the interview, here is the direct link

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why doesn't he name names in terms of which applications are actually the ones installing the trojans and such? If he had factual information, he would be able to.

Sorry, I don't give this a tremendous amount of credence... Especially since the story "broke" on a Fox News program. His comments about the FTC suing an app vendor are misplaced because the specific case in question was exactly what I stated earlier - the app is using information from your phone to sell to advertisers.

People are worried about a flashlight app "geo-locating" our families? Those are the same idiots that post every second of their day on Instagram, Facebook, and Foursquare and have their privacy settings set wide open. "Here, criminals... I'm not home next week because I'm on vacation..."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts