Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to purchase two newer sleds of a brand I own now and ran across a couple of posts that concerned me. :confused: So, I thought I would start a poll just to get your opinion as to which manufacturer provided the best customer service. I am looking for people who have owned different sleds like a Skidoo and Arctic Cat and had problems that needed to be fixed. Did the manufacturer reply and correct the problem quickly and efficiently or did you have to fight kick and scream to get the problem corrected? Which one provided the best POST purchase support.

I addition to taking the poll I would be really interested in personal experiences you had. They can be brief but I would really like to "read" a response to. :D

Although most all problems are corrected by dealers they still represent the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It doesn't matter what we found in our areas.

You'll be dealing with dealers in your area.
You need to talk to the locals in your area to learn their experience.
That's what MAY reflect what your experience will be for you.
Still no guarantees there though.

In the end you still need to choose a sled that you'll be happy with.
Find what YOU like as that's what you'll be riding.
Hopefully, you won't be riding your dealer.
If you choose wisely with your brand of choice, and the Sun aligns with Uranus in conjunction with the Moon and you're just generally lucky, you won't even get to know your dealer unless you want to.

My pesonal experience has been fairly positive with several Skidoo dealers.
and only one with a Yamaha dealer. However, that's all I've bought.
Never bought a Polaris and only one very old Arctic Cat used.
So my results are very skewed as is the case with most surveys.
You're not going to find out much to predict what your experience will be.
I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you here?

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
As ususal Trailblazer brings up very valid points. In the end, it will be the dealers in your area that you will be dealing with.

We have have a lot of good feedback from our Doo dealer here in the Mid-Michigan area but we really have not had a need for any warranty work or service work. My husband, snowmutt , pretty much would deal with the sled's on his own as that is how he would prefer it ,however, there was a part that needed to be replaced, and our dealer was fantastic on getting the part in fast that snowmutt needed. They always have the common parts stocked when snowmutt goes into the dealer to pick up things as well. ( no waiting for orders to come in) a big plus !

I might also add they were very happy to donate some items for our SW charity ride we had back in Jan, which meant alot to us.

Snow4

·
Registered
657 Posts
Agreed :) For example, in my journeys to the west coast I met a person who always owned Polaris and was happy with Polaris, but he said Polaris didn't build a 4-stroke wide track, and that's what he wanted. So he bought Arctic Cat. He said he would never again deal with the dealer he bought the Arctic Cat from. However, he met a different Arctic Cat dealer that was a half hour away (I think?) who would not only take care of him, but would send someone out to pick up his sled if he ever needed servicing. Now that's service! He's very pleased with that Cat dealer.

Here, we couldn't get dad's sled down to Polaris for servicing (no snow, and the trailor we had was in Stephenville and the other trailor was too small) so Polaris sent the mechanic to us, and serviced it in our driveway; now that's service! :)

But you need to find out who in your area is willing to take care of you like the examples I have given; it's different for every place :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Folks,

Your responses as far as dealers go are pretty much what I expected. I have already dealt with two dealers in my area. One was not a pleasant experience and the other one has been, so far, a good fit.

As far as the moon aligning with Uranus and mars and whatever. :slick: When our company (the one that I work for) chooses a dealer that dealer is chosen based on, obviously one, do they have the ability to sell and market our product but also, and equally important, do they represent the culture of our company and how we expect our customers to be serviced. I look at it this way, if I get a lot of negative responses about a product whether it be from someone in the Rockies, midwest or east coast that still reflects the practice overall company.

Regarding the sled, you are correct, I will certainly find the one that I like and that may be a Skidoo, Cat or Polaris. So, I certainly hope that you understand what I am trying to say here :D

·
10,054 Posts
The dealer closest to where I live is a cat dealership, but I have had nothing but bad bad service from them. I then switched to one just a tad farther and usually got great service till that one bad time,,, I swore I would never go back. I then ended up trying a cat dealership almost 75 mile away,,, (they were also a doo dealership),,,, WOW this was the service I was after and I have no problems driving 75 mile for that kind of service. I ended up buying 3 different new sleds from them and had they not shut it down (owner retired) I would still be dealing with them and very happy with the 75 mile hike there.

My dealership ended up selling out to one of those BIG dealerships (again still 75 mile away) and they sell cat, doo, polaris, and yamaha (as well as jet skis, motorcycles, atvs, etc...)
I figured I would give them a try and WOW again good service,,,,

so I cant say that it simply cat or doo or polaris or yami that give the great service, its the dealership. I can get any brand I want from my dealer so all brands would have great service,,,,

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on the dealer. I've had dealings w/ a few 'doo dealerships in over 25 years of owning my own sleds & only had a couple of problems. Nothing that would make me switch brands. In Ontario I've heard good & bad about some of the Poo & Yammi dealers as well.

Just make your decision as to what sled you want to get, then talk to other sledders & check the 'net for a good dealer in your area.

Mind you in PA dealers may not be on every corner like they seem to be in Ontario. That may make your decision harder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first dealer I went to, as I stated earlier, was horrible. My sleds would sit there for a week or week and a half while the snow was flying. I would call them and they would tell me yeah we are working on them now... Nope :devil: :devil: they weren't. Anyhow, the dealer I found now is right around 60 miles but he calls me every time I shoot him an email asking some questions. Very very nice group of people. You are right, There are three cat dealers within a day's drive of me that is it. I think I am going to look at some Skidoo dealers and see how they react. Sounds to me like doo and cat are the way to go.. I am curious to see if anyone else posts some experiences.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Post sales = too many variables

#1-Dealer could be a #### with you or with the manufacture yet he can be a great guy with both

#2-you could be a #### or an understanding guy

#3- the person on the other end(manufacture) could be a #### also or you could get the good guy

All of this goes a long way with getting your warranty or whatever you want from the manufactures

best thing to do is ask around and find the dealer that most respect

·
Registered
293 Posts
Too bad there wasn't a place on here where we could post are experiences with dealerships, and maybe the dealership can reply, this way we can see keep an eye on the bad ones..I bet a lot of dealerships would change their way of thinking...I know it's not always the dealership in fault that's why they would be given the opportunity to post there side of the story...........

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
problem with that is

You might get along with Joe dealer but the next guy does not like him

btw why is rick with a p =#####

?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it's not always the dealership in fault that's why they would be given the opportunity to post there side of the story...........[/b]
Well, in my line of business, if the it's not a dealer problem and the dealer can't get support it is a manufacturers problem... Hence, the reason for my posting.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well, in my line of business, if the it's not a dealer problem and the dealer can't get support it is a manufacturers problem... Hence, the reason for my posting.[/b]
If the dealership has enough money though, they'll pay for the repairs themselves even if they can't get the support from the manufacturer for the warranty. Dealerships are independantly (sp?) owned, so there is more leaway than one might think. A dealership that says "nope, can't get authority to do a warranty job" is a dealership that's not willing to fork up their own money for the sake of keeping a valued customer, IMO the difference between a "good" dealership and a "bad" dealership :)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I may be a little biased in my choice as I have a substantial investment in my dealer. The really good dealers in my opinion go the extra mile in thanking you for the business. The warranty service is another very important item in the decision process because the flat rate techs are always running against the time clock and it sometimes shows in the quality control. Good dealers market maintenance and hence reliability, know there product lines and compensate their people well. Poor dealers tend to rely on warranty repairs to maintain their bottom line. At an average of $10,000. per sled plus gear (I said average). More people rightly expect better service and a more reliable product. All this gee whiz technology does nothing sitting in showrooms not purchased or in the service department broken.

Just my humble 2 cents.

·
Registered
293 Posts
dvarmit my point I was making there is that there is people out there that will buy a new sled put pipes on it and mod the #### out of it and when they cook the motor, they think it should be warrenty work...I have seen a guy buy t a set of new shocks used them for the winter and tried to return them saying he didn't like them, when the dealer didn't take them back he was pissed and bad mouthing the dealership..Some people don't use there brains...Just because one guy says one dealership is brutal it would be nice to hear his whole story first, and then I can decide if the dealer was in the wrong or if the guy has lost his marbles....

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
A friend of mine who has blue underwear had a speed problem w/ his Vmax 600DX. It couldn't keep up to my MXZ 440 on a lake. We tried a new belt & same result. He took it to his dealer as the sled was still under warranty. The dealer said the secondary bushings were worn & that the secondary was binding as it shifted. The dealer was 90% sure that Yammi would cover that under warranty.

He waited a couple of weeks (season was over no big deal) for them to say the warranty covered it. But guess what? The bushings were on back order as there weren't any around.

IMO, that was BS, the sled had a 2 year warranty & he was a long time customer. There shouldn't have been any hesitation on the dealer's part to fix the sled.

I also saw a guy go ape#$%^ on Christmas Eve day when the dealership was closing early & his sled's motor wasn't back together. Come on guy, it's Christmas Eve, get a life.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
well i can only vote for one brand because thats all i know.yes it's cat as ones who know me would know. in my experiences the dealer was deciding factor. bobby at elk power in stmarys pa. has been real good to me. sure we all get frustrated at times with them all, but they still need to make a living. i've had others take my spring order money and never order my sled.a good dealer knows how to work the system they live in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts