Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing the term, I have my idea of it but what is your? What is a save ammount to run a sled with out causing any damage/excessive wear to it? I was told 4" minum but 6" is preferable. Is this accurate. Just what damage will occur aside from the hyfax wearing faster? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I would say 4" is on the extreme low end unless it is a totaly hard packed 4". Preferably a good 6" base and some fluff on top to lube everything would be great. :)
As far as damage, won't realy do much to the sled accept the obvious like you said. The motor does have to work a little harder and therefor gets hotter quicker. It is also hard on the track in low snow conditions, but you mainly just tear up the ground more than anything...haha

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It mainly depends on the type of terrain where your riding. Some spots especially where clubs smooth out the surface before the snow flies require only a couple of inches of packed snow to be considered decent running while others where the terrain is rocky or very rough, might need a foot or more snow to achieve the same result. Plus a little common sense goes a long way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ZR Sled Head is correct. Some other damage that can occur is broken skii's, bent trailing arms, cracked rear skids, etc, etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If my skids don't keep sparking on the rocks, it's good trail conditions. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Jim85IROC@Oct 17 2002, 04:30 PM
If my skids don't keep sparking on the rocks, it's good trail conditions. :D
Jim what board are you not on?

This is Spyder from the "other" website.

:nervous: your everywhere, will I ever get away?

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 17 2002, 04:44 PM

·
Registered
959 Posts
well to me that means enough to see white last winter i was runnin on as little as 2 inches at times cuz i need to fix the my problem with sledding but i have always been told 6 inches is nice it just wears down the slids faster and can rip lugs off your track thats all really if its entremely low can add lots of bumps and throw out idler wheel bearings had 3 go last year and broke the back idler rod

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
after last season heavy ground frost is marginal and very tempting though. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts