Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 XCR 600, and I need to know the max rpm. Right now it's hitting 8000, but I know it needs a new primary, and maybe some tuning of the secondary. And the engagement, what should it be stock, and do most people bump it up, or is it good there?

Also, could someone please explain to me how to tune a Polaris secondary clutch? The Polaris dealer tried to explain it to me, but I just kind of spaced out when he started talking about the index, so I didn't really catch on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I used to run mine at 9100 rpm but I think optimum is around 8700 rpm.the set up I had in mine was 10mred weights with a light blue spring in the primary in the secondary I ran the t1 helix with the red spring in the second hole.

Take the seondary off and put it on the bench with the helix faceing up,push down on the helix and remove the snap ring.Slowly let up on the helix till it is up out of the clutch and has no tension on it taking note which hole the spring is in on the helix.When installing the helix first install the spring down in the clutch making sure it is in the hole then find the hole on the helix you plan on using ie second or third softest(my opinion) line the helix key way up with the key in the clutch now grab on to the movable sheave which will be up towards you and turn it aprox 1/3 of a turn counter clock wise till you you helix ramps go just past the first buttons and push down will holding the helix down install your washer and snapring and install back on the sled. I have the sevice manual and I could try to scan the pages on this and email them to you If you like just make sure you have enough room in your inbox etc .

·
Registered
731 Posts
Your stock XCR has a nice wide powerband (1000rpm). The only down side is you can change the shift rpm and not feel that it's any faster (and it may not be). Find one of your friends sleds that is even with yours to use a gauge (don't work the other sled at the same time), then start to work on your clutching. I'd say you have to come up with your rpm also. I have seen some of the tachs off also.
RPM / CBT / CBHP
8000 / 59 / 90
8500 / 57 / 93
9000 / 52 / 89

·
Registered
686 Posts
A stock XCR was supposed to run at 8400 rpm which is verified by the figures toydoc posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts