Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin at getting a can for my sled and was wondering what the difference is between the Race, trail and standard models. Is the standard a Stock replacement? I would like something a little louder than stock but I dont want it to be to abnoxious.

Btw This site Rocks! Tons of info and its cool you guys dont mind answering the questions of all us newbies even if you've been asked them dozens of times. SWRules

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
First, I would ask that you reconsider running ANYTHING
noisier than stock, for no other reason than to make noise. Many members of the non riding public find the noise of a stock sled offensive. Put an aftermarket noise maker in on the equation, and many find them on a scale with fingernails being dragged on a chalkboard.

To answer your question, the difference in the noise level
between the cans is they get progressively louder from stock through race. Think of them as nothing more than the equivelant of a glass pack (very similar to what you might find on a "hot rod" car found in a high school parking lot), and rest assured the only difference in power available will be in your mind.

There is also a good chance your riding buddies will even complain....

AL

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
there is only 1 can you can get for your mxz 670. It is the "race" version. I had one on my 670...makes it sound sweet, and isn't abnoxiously loud. Sounds alot more aggressive. If you don't have any noise laws to worry about, it was the best money I ever wasted ;) :D Go for it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rocketman, do you have any advice as to were the best place to get one of these is? I've been doin a little searching on the internet and seems like the going rate it around $230. Haven't had any luck finding a used one either. Thanks for the help :D

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
the silencer I had on my 670 was an SPX, but they all look pretty much the same. I bought it from a user on this forum, Cudney Racing...he has a website www.cudneyracing.com. I would assume that since they all look the same (DNE, MBRP,SPX) they would sound the same too. I paid $225CDN for mine, so you should be able to do better. in USD.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I agree with Michahicks, you're not going to make friends with a loud silencer... As far as I understand the MBRP designations, "trail" is slightly louder than stock, then "standard" and then make-your-ears-bleed "race". You must also realize if you're riding through populated areas, people are going to hear you coming from a mile away. Not to mention the fact that it's going to be noisier while you're riding as well. For me, I ride 8+ hours a day when I'm trail riding. I would tire of excessive noise after about 10 minutes.

I would recommend any silencer that is as close to stock volume levels as you can find.

Don't think I am a prude, though. I want to buy a silencer for my REV as soon as I hear how loud it is stock. I will be buying the quietest that I can find, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. I would like something different than stock because I think it sounds like crap but I also dont want something so loud that it drives me nutts after half an hour. Looks like I only have one option to go with other than stock so I'm gonna go for it. Guess I can always put the stock one back on right ???

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
The silencer on the 670 is not all that loud. It just changes the sound and gives it some bark. Some sleds get noisy (ever heard a zrt with stingers?) but the 670 doesn't get all that loud.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
im with ontrider..driving all day with a race silencer...makes for a long day ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just put one on my Formula z and its not that loud.Sounds like my friends stock mxz 700.Not only that but i got rid of that stock suitcase and lost about 15 pounds.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
MBRP is only making one model of silencer for the REV this year and it's between trail and race. PPP is also making one that's supposed to be trail-friendly. Either one I end up with, if it's too loud, it goes on eBay ASAP :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts