Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an RX-1 ER which comes standard with reverse.  Some people are saying I will lose 7-8mph on top end and others say that there will be little or no difference.  What is everybodys expieriance?  On american snow a machz guy posted that he and his buddies ran side by side until the buddy installed mechanical reverse and now he can walk right by his buddy.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Alot of times with mechanical reverse a smaller top gear is installed.Depending on clutching and other variables a clutch
will shift out farther with the smaller gear resulting in a greater
speed.Just my findings with doo as my bud installed a reverse
kit on his polaris and it was slower and he dropped the top gear as recc. with kit.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
With most reverse kits, mechanical or other, they have a different top gear in which is where most of your top end speed is lost.  I do know guys that have played around with clutching and gearing combo's and made their sleds run close to what non-reverse boys were as far as speeds, but usually the reverse kits=less top end....

Last edited by phazerhater at April 03, 2002, 08:01am

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My dads friend has reverse and electric start....02 XC800 his top speed on the lake is less than 100mph....go figure my dads zl600 has better top end.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Since there is more rotational mass in the chain case, it requires more HP to turn it.  Thus you would loose top end speed (when comparing apples to apples).

The RER system from Ski-Doo elimates this problem, but requires a special Helix.

newf

Just my two cents!  

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
With all the big hp and torque numbers that the RX1 claims I dont see a problem.......have they released any real world numbers yet?? or are they still asking people to have faith in them......With the low snow conditions I dont think the R&D department could do the best job possible for such a radical new concept.....lets hope it works in snow

·
Registered
191 Posts
I read somewhere that ski-doo puts the same helix on the RER and non-RER MXz's... I guess to simplify production?  How then could a different set of electronics effect the top speed?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Someone else posted a while back that ski-doo was putting the RER helix on the non-RER machines because the RER helix performed better going forward than the non-RER one, so why not use it?
It's not the different electronics that effect the top speed, it's the gear box.  With RER there's no extra gearing taking away HP.

·
Registered
458 Posts
have had rev. on the zrt-800 since new, 4100 miles all stock except for kickass filters,  sled has gone 117 MPH, ( on GPS unit)  the gearing is 24- 39 same as none rev. zrt's

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, naturally reverse that is mechanical will make some difference, however it is usually slight. There were some sleds in the past that had issues with the reverse causing problems, but it was usually from do it yourselfers installing them wrong that really caused problems. Some magazines used to even not recommend reverse on sleds over 120 hp because of the chaincases running hot which was usually really caused by poor installation or lack of maintenance. Yamaha's reverse seems to work well, so I would not worry about the 1-2 mph you would probably lose realistically.

And yes they do put RER secondary's on all MXZ800's for 2002, they did have issues with them breaking on the 01's, which I have some nice digital pics of. who knows what the 2003's will have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts