Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Ski Doo Mechanical reverse?

I am just wondering if there are any problems that I should look for etc.

Is it possible for the lever to engage reverse while moving foreward?

I have heard that the Ski Doo RER is a feature programmed into the MPEM.  Can this be done to a machine that didn't come with it orginally?

Thanks.

DP

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You cant get RER on your machine with out spending big bucks.  I know i tried.

You would need.

RER secondary.
RER MPEM.
RER sensors on flywheel.
Button.
and some other things but basicly you would have to tear apart the engine.

Skidoos mechanical revearse is IMO one of the best mechanical reverse out there.  It is very solid and reliable.  It only costs you about 1-3 KM top speed and theres not much of a weight diffrence.

I have 2 sleds with mechanicl reverse and never had one pop out of forward.  

I think you will be happy with the skidoo reverse.  One nice thing about it is how its a lever and not a pull handle.  It doesnt move or budge when riding.

But if your into jumping.  And you come down hard your leg might bash into the handle breaking the plastic that surrounds it and bending the handle.  HAS HAPPENED.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i had a friend that did that to his old MXZ  and it worked great. He loved not having to man handle the sled when playing oin the woods.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I will never own another sled without reverse. (well unless its a restored classic).

I don't think you will regret the decision to put one on.

FishHog

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The machine already has reverse, but it is the Mechanical system.

I just wondered if it would be easy to but on a new chaincase and use a MPEM that had the RER programmed into it.

I wonder why they offered this on the lower end models in 2000, but not on the higher end machines.  they offered the RER as an option on the 500 fan models but not on my Formula Z 700.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
they put it on the low volume models for testing first. same as the sdi,and most of the innovations.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I put mechanical reverse on my 800 and have had no problems with the handle or anything. My back has never felt better

·
Registered
86 Posts
I installed mech reverse in my 99 mxz 440. The components appear to be heavy duty and shouldn't pose any problems. Monitor your chain tension the first 100 miles or so.   RB  

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ill be putting a mechanical reverse on this year,my buddy go4it has one,its the only way to go,i was lucky enough to get one on the net,brand new,saved me $250 canadian over the dealer price.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I agree mech. reverse is pretty solid it does add weight and in the case of my form z it changes the gear ratio by one tooth no bid deal if you love to ride trails all day, there is no way it can switch on its own if the linkage is adjusted properly. The only problem I have is a buddy that likes to switch it when you are not looking (I dont have the beeper hooked up) Man that can throw ya!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts