Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75 MERC and I had it out last weekend and the first bogie wheel on the left side(sitting) came off.  This happened once before a long time ago.  The bolt snapped and the spring that holds the tension was then hitting the track.  Anyways the last time fixed it I think I used a grade 5 bolt.  Does any one know what type of bolt I should use?  And is this a common problem?  

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are talking about a '75 TrailTwister I had the same problem with mine. They did not come stock with any wheels other than rear idler wheels. Owners added wheels and wheel kits to help save the sliders on ice, hardpack etc. Mounting wheels where the front suspension springs push down on the slide rails leave the track putting to much pressure the wheels and not the sliders thus causing bolt to break. I even bent the grade 8 bolts I was using before I decided to omit the wheels completely. I also replaced the aluminum crossshaft that the spring holders bolt into with a steel shaft. That was 700 miles ago and no problems since. This is not a problem on the '76 T/T since they have a shorter front suspension arm and bigger srings and the spring holder comes through the slide rail frame higher than the '75's so wheels don't put as much pressure on the track. Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts