Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I click through have the town trail reports and none of them are ever updated!! Whats the deal with that? They need some people up dating them constantly!! If I lived where it snowed I would update them constantly!! They dont even tell you how much snow is on the gorund when there is snow on the ground! Is there any more reliable pages out there you can get updated conditions on? Ohh and who ever is in charge of the S.W. Michigan area, get updating!! haha. okay im done now!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Um, actually I do the one for the Paw Paw / Lawton area. :eek:hmy:
I report when there is something to report. There is nothing to report.
Most of s.w. lower did not get any real snow from this last system. I still have the top of grass blades on my property, and the trail crosses my land.

The reporters will most likely start reporting when there is enough snow for the trail to officially open. Remember that many of the trails North of Gobles are not open until Jan 1st so you may not get much input from those reporters for a while.

For what it's worth, all of the reporters are volunteers that just want people to know what the snow is like in their area.

Oh, and my report was updated Nov 25, this morning, and about 10 minutes ago - glad to help :sarcasm:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay well i see lake effect coming off the lake right now which is 12 0 clock a.m. michigan time so hopefully that helps the situation out up there and I hope that keeps on coming down... Let us know if it amounts to anything! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Um, actually I do the one for the Paw Paw / Lawton area. :eek:hmy:
I report when there is something to report. There is nothing to report.
Most of s.w. lower did not get any real snow from this last system. I still have the top of grass blades on my property, and the trail crosses my land.[/b]
Can I trailer and ride from your place :whistling:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Okay so I click through have the town trail reports and none of them are ever updated!! Whats the deal with that? They need some people up dating them constantly!! If I lived where it snowed I would update them constantly!! They dont even tell you how much snow is on the gorund when there is snow on the ground! Is there any more reliable pages out there you can get updated conditions on? Ohh and who ever is in charge of the S.W. Michigan area, get updating!! haha. okay im done now![/b]
I know what you mean, some of the places that have no reports are right in the middle of the snow belts. :confused: From what I've seen in the past though is that if there isn't a post in a week or two the town gets deleted.
I have noticed that in the last few years that when a town gets deleted, another business is likely to step up to do the reports, plus get some free advertising to boot :wink: On a different note thought, the non-business oreintated posts like versatileman's seem to be the most consistand and reliable though in my opinion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've also noticed with a few north western lower reports the same guys that have run the trail conditions for years advertise there buisness / place of lodging (which by all means they should) seem to always have great conditions no matter what. When ever you check the trails around them from people that are strickly volunteers and non-profit groups they give you the honest awnsers, but may be a little slower to update. Sometimes the best way to do it is call a local buisness in the area before your long drive up, ask them there store hours...then through out there "oh by the way, you guys gettin any snow/ how are the trails" Dont pick a hotel or a bar, somthing that you driving up there wouldnt benifit them.

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Honestly, we need a good 4-5 inches of heavy wet snow before anything is rideable around here and they are only calling for an inch or two tonight. The lake effect we got last night was not even a dusting. Funny - this is a snow belt and the only snow that has fallen is north and south of here.
I am heading North tomorrow to ride, Irons is only 2 hours.

·
Registered
980 Posts
We only received bout 1/2 inch last night.
Not nearly enough snow around here to ride.

The pic (taken at noon today) is the yard in front of my shop, all the dark areas are grass.

Sigh, [attachment=40956:snow.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
We only received bout 1/2 inch last night.
Not nearly enough snow around here to ride.

The pic (taken at noon today) is the yard in front of my shop, all the dark areas are grass.

Sigh, [attachment=40956:snow.JPG][/b]
If you know members of snowmobile clubs, they are usually pretty good about giving information out for snow conditions too. I look at the thumbs club to see there conditions. Also the DNR posts on the website as well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here are links to some of the area clubs web sites.
Snowstompers is my base club, but I have also recently joined Driftbusters because they are so close to me and because there existence is hanging by a thread (check their website for details)
All the web sites have trail report pages, but since there is not ridable snow around here, no one is really reporting. We are still waiting for our local season to open :(
Driftskippers club is Hartford area http://www.driftskippers.com
Four flags club is Niles area http://www.fourflagssnowmobileclub.org
Driftbusters club is Gobles area http://www.goblesdriftbusters.org
SnowStompers club is Lawton area http://www.snowstompers.com

Later,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Posting conditions when they aren't rideable can cause problems, even it you post the conditions are not rideable. For example, I wouldn't ride in 4" of Lake Effect snow, but there are many who will, and in doing so will cause undue damage to private property, not to mention your sled. So if someone on fish web was to report:

Base: no base

Past 24 Hours: 4" Lake Effect

Condition: Not rideable

... you will no doubt have countless idiots out tearing it up because all they see is " 4" Lake Effect"

On the other hand, if the person updating conditions wants to post that they did get snow to spread the news (we all like to hear it when snow falls), but posts only 2" to try and keep people at home, and someone calls their buddy in the area and finds out that the area did get 4" of snow, everyone is emailing the person updating the conditions and calling them a liar.

It's a tough call when to post. Unless conditions are good, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Versatileman, keep up the good work. (I too joined the Driftskippers to help out with their problems.)

Tony

·
Registered
980 Posts
Versatileman, keep up the good work. (I too joined the Driftskippers to help out with their problems.)

Tony[/b]
Thanks man,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts