Snowmobile World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Nelson's sno-motion last weekend and while picking up my 03 trail sticker from the MSA tent I started chating with the president about loud sleds. He said it looks like a new law is coming into effect and most likely all new sleds will have a manufacture plate on the exhaust. If you are suspected of a noisy sled and this plate is not in place when the DNR lifts your hood, it's ticket time. Same goes for aftermarket stuff too....

See, I told you noise makers it would happen

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
man that sucks, im glad im in newfoundland.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Darn them.  Now I'll be able to hear myself think while riding and not listening to my friends old enticer w/cracked muffler  

·
Registered
512 Posts
hummm..... I take it this will be something for the new sleds coming out? if so how do they tag all the old sleds?? i know my stock pipe dosen't have one.. And My aftermarket realy isn't that much louder.. just a more hollow sound? So how is that fair?? They better not be handing out stupid tickets to people like me who take it eassy through town and don't bang on the throtel..

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
They can't make it effective for older sleds. They can make it a law for new sleds only so don't worry fellow sled heads. And I'd like to note that the REV 800 is super quiet. It's a cool sound even as the revs build up. I only heard it up to about 5 or 6k RPM's though.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I asked my neighbor about this, he's a cop, he confirmed it.  I asked about the older sleds and he said that the DNR is determining what the decibel level should be and they have ordered more decebel meters for their officers to carry.  He said that the DNR means business.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just a quick question, can they get you if your on private property (that you own)? If not I will have a blast with this one. Time to find the loudest sled I can!! Trail runs right on the side of the prop!!!!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
This past winter The Durham Regional Police apparently were ticketing loud sleds in the Ganaraska Provincial Forest. I don't know the details, but perhaps some of the Ontario members will know.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey Revrnd I have a can on my Mach-z .... got pulled over by the OPP last year .... The thing is LOUD Till 4500 rpm after that it's okay .... I thought for sure I was getting a FINE ... But everything was okay .... I don't think the can does anything ..... '' it sounds faster'' ...... hahahaha   I don't think so though .... EH !!!!!   hahahaha

·
Registered
483 Posts
M10rules, you might want to check with your local government to see if they have a local noise ordinance, or call the State to see if will apply to private property. In NY a lot of Towns/Villages have been passing these laws. Even if you are on your own property and exceed the decibal limit, they can still zap you. Fortunately the Town I ride out of excluded sleds (and lawnmowers), but includes everything else...dirt bikes/ATV's/stereos etc.

A

·
0 Posts
If they don't like my stingers, they better have a warrant to come on my property or they are trespassing, and we know what happens to trespassers, don't we.  

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The limit will be 98db, cause that is the standard that the sleds are built to. My 98 XC600 is a loud stock sled, and it came with a tag in the owner's manual saying they were legal because they were loud from the fact. This is such BS! They should just set a db limit, not this tag crap! As long as it stays under the limit, we should be able to run 4" stacks thru the hood with flippers!

A

·
0 Posts
But street bikes can run open pipes through residential areas without a problem, where is the sence?  

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well we need to ban together on this like the GREENIES do against us. But we have brought this on ourselves in that we have built loud sleds and ran hard through areas where people live. I've seen so many sleds that are absolutly beyond loud that got no big gains from the pipes and stingers, just noise. We need to regulate ourselves because big brother will other wise. But the open pipe thing is a very good thing to think about as harleys and some sport bikes are crazy loud. I believe thay are aloud alot more than 98db. I thought that it was 108 or 112 but I could and probably am wrong
. What snowmobile groups are there to join to help fight this. I'll send my moneyand that is what it'll take. the right money going into the right and lefts ear!

Caleb

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think it's all up to the local authorities and what they
want to enforce. As far as I know and what I've been told,
there is no law state wide about exhaust not db level. I
had a friend just look into this and this is what he told
me. My sled is crackling loud but then again it's not for
trail use and I'm hearing that you might have to run some
kind of silencer on the open mods in straightline reacing
this year. Which basically just ends up being tubing that
doesn't do much, if amything, for noise suppression just
helps the racers pass tech.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok stop the world it's time to get off. I am getting sick of living in Michigan!!!!!!!!!!! High taxes, high insurance-you guys know what I am talking about!!! NO MORE FUN IN MICHIGAN!!!!! I can't take it!!!!

Last edited by phazerhater at Aug. 30, 2002, 7:16pm

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We've had that law here in ontario for a few years already like
rev stated.Most of the time they were just checking for aftermarket exhaust on the trails near housing or if you were dumb enough to be honkin on it near a opp/stop checkpoint.The law doesn't really bother me and if it keeps us from losing some trails then it's well worth it.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Aug. 29, 2002, 04:36am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they don't like my stingers, they better have a warrant to come on my property or they are trespassing, and we know what happens to trespassers, don't we.  
[/b][/quote]
Tresspassers will be shot -- Survivors prosecuted

·
Registered
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Aug. 29, 2002, 3:02pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Aug. 29, 2002, 04:36am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they don't like my stingers, they better have a warrant to come on my property or they are trespassing, and we know what happens to trespassers, don't we.  
[/b][/quote]
Tresspassers will be shot -- Survivors prosecuted
[/b][/quote]
Here in the states, survivors sue because they got shot
and get evrything you got.  

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
x800rtx,
I think you've hit the nail on the head. If the noise restriction laws will gain us an edge in keeping the trails we have now, and possibly help us get some more, bring 'em on.

Like previously mentioned, there aren't many noisey sleds passing the quiet ones. The noisey factory exhausts built to date are quiet compared to some of the stuff running on the trails for ego purposes only.

As far as enforcement at the tracks, I'll bet that's up to the tracks neighbors and track owners. I can't believe they would have laws for noise restrictions on racing engines. Local track rules maybe, but not statewide laws.

AL

1 - 20 of 271 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.