Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 271 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Originally posted by Mikadoo@Aug 31 2002, 07:09 PM
At the end of riding season I was told by the folks that work at the swamp in Frederic that if you get caught crossing the Manistee river next year 'this year' it will be a big fine. I wonder if this will be state wide or just the Manistee?
And now it is July and this has all come to light. 4600 acres have been closed to snowmobiling because not from noise but crossing open water from bank to bank!
So what is this hurting? Maybe disturbing a trout or something?
Personally I think it was a excuse by the oil company's that own 95% of the land to get us out. Money talks!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Mikadoo,
I was pretty interested in that too. Didn't care much for the idea of closing down that much land for no better reason than the one they had. This is the DNR's side of the story. You'll have to scroll down through some stuff to the second note. You'll see it.

http://www.frederic-mi.com/sledheads/conditions.html

Kind of sheds a little different light on things, from a different angle....exposing another of snowmobilings little armpits that nobody likes to think about, or admit they were a part of. Message written by a non snowmobiler, from a non snowmobilers perspective, and obviously this person is in a position to act on what she believes is right, with full support from (all of?) the local proerty owners.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Al, I haven't been keeping up on Pete's site much lately so I scrolled down a little to read of the jumping problem [JUMPING PROBLEM!!!].
You have got to be kidding me lady! So remove the rotting log pile, end of problem! And whats the big deal with skipping across the river lady? I have seen this spot where a few brave sledders cross and it is not the end of the world, just a little trenching that disappears come spring and not causing any erosion problems that I could see.
I think between the oil company's and weekend southern property owners, they want to do as Tim said a while back, post their little piece of heaven for themselve's.
I think if the Frederic area would build more trails to disperse the thousands of weekend warriors, people like myself would not have to x-country to get away from the 2' moguls.
I suppose all good things must come to an end and Frederic is fast approaching it...

·
Registered
743 Posts
I was reading that same thing the other day. I couldn't believe when she mentioned a "jumping problem". Unbelievable! What does a little jumping hurt?
Every year we go down by the river and hang out and watch people skip across the river. I don't see what it hurts. It does erode the banks a little bit in places, but after years and years of watching others do this (haven't grown big enough balls to do it myself yet), the bank at this one particular spot has eroded maybe three feet back. Big deal!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
:withstupid: I finally read this post from beginning to end, it took me just about two hours. Could someone tell me why Zmachmans acount was banned, I thought I might find it in the posts somewere, but no clues?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
He was bad, very bad :devil: No really, I dont know :sarcasm: Too bad, he was a great asset to this form ???

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not truly sure why he got banned but from what i can remember of it.
It started when we were planning the very first sw ride. Cory and machzman had different idea's on the plans and things went rolling from there.
machzman was definitely a good source for info though.
And he was not the only one. there are allot on here still that bring excellent info to the table when needed.

As for the original issue here LOUD PIPES and the LAW well i think they should be allowed but respect has to be involved.
charge those revving it at late hours not those who are willing to do there part to control the noise in certain areas.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
glad thats not in New Brunswick yet. hey before they start clamping down on our loud 2 strokers they better do something about those loud harley in the summer. At least e ride our sleds out in the woods most of the time, these loud bikes r near populated areas more than we r with our sleds. Friggin laws make no sense a lot of the time. :angry:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ZMachMan and Corey parted company you may say. Bottom line is he is no longer on this site but has his own. Funny Jim as I was just joking with him about this topic the other day. I too thought it had been deleted. Boy oh boy the fun it caused lol. I know that all who were really into this topic last year had to smile when they saw it back again. I wonder if any Burger invites will be taken back this year lol.

261 - 271 of 271 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.