Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest scoop on what is happening to the 600/800 EFI's.  My 600 had a melt down while zipping across the lake at about 65/70 on Sunday.  I was able to get the sled re-started and limp home, but I knew something bad had happened.  Took my sled into the dealer and my suspicions were confirmed...about 105psi in one cylinder and 85psi in the other.  Don't panic, my case seems to be the extreme.
This is what AC told my dealer:

Not sure How, Who or What...but there seems to be a white powdery residue that remains in the gas tanks after the manufacturing process.  This powder continues clog the smart valves and leans out the sled.

AC's solution:
In my case they are taking the gas tank off and cleaning it out  (Not sure just how you go about cleaning the inside of a gas tank) and also cleaning the screen in the S/V.  They are replacing both cylinders and promise me my sled will be "like new".  So far l I am pretty happy with the service.  

If you had/have this problem and they didn't do a compression test, you may want to take it back and have it done.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had the pump or smart valve go on my 800 efi last weekend as I was picking up the sled from the dealer after getting an estimate done. Rode it out of his shop and made it 10 feet before it quit. We pulled it back into the shop and they changed just the pump. Everything works good now. What I don't understand is that if the smart valve was plugged or gummed up why wouldn't the new pump be affected. From my understanding, the smart valve is on the end of the fuel pickup line. He used the existing line on the new pump. So you think if the valve is gummed up closed it would affect the new pump. They did not do a compression test so that is something i will have to do.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Everyone has got me worried about my sled now. It is a 2002 ZR 600 EFI. I haven't had any troubles yet (knock on wood&#33
and it has close to 800miles on it. I have had it above 80mph more than a few times. I haven't noticed any weird noises or it not running up to snuff. Do you think I should pull the pump out and check that valve???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 600's and 800's have a different fuel pump and feed rail but the same S/V's.  I never did notice the fuel pump whine most 800 users seem to hear before their sleds died.  My guess with the 800's is the powder clogs the S/V's, starves the fuel pump and causes the whine/failure of the pump.  Replace the pump but don't clean the S/V's = pump failure again (no idea why the 3rd pump works).  This is a total guess on my part, I noticed a slow drop in performance over time and finally the melt down.

Iron Will, I have about 368mi on my sled and what started to make me wonder was I also have a 00' 550lc that I could walk away from with my 600.  The 550's top mph is about 93-97 and the 600 was around 103-107(according to the speedo's).  Shortly before the melt down the 600 top mph dropped to 90-93 and my mid-range seemed to have lost its snap.  I still wasn't sure there was a problem because I had put on a new 1.25 track recently and figured that was part of the mph drop (even though the new track weighed less than the OEM).  I don't think it would hurt to clean your S/V's in fact it is probably a good idea.  Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmmmm... this has me wondering a few things...

1.  How do you clean this smart valve in the gas tank (is it easy or a pain in the arse?

2.  Has Cat fixed this problem in the 600 and 800 EFI's for next year?  I'm considering buying a pantera 600 EFI and don't want the damn thing blowing up on my father the first ride he goes on.

·
Registered
26 Posts

my 02zr800efi started to loose power last week. I could not get it to pull full rpm at top speed. Would only run about 95 mph. engine appears to be running ok at idle. but low power on top end. Check clutchs etc. all checked ok.
I grabbed a hanger and fished the rear susction out of the tank and found it stuck closed. The reason it was stuck closed
was the filter screen was plugged with dark brown (tar like stuff). I removed the screen it was all crumpled up like a old prune. I removed the spring and valve seat. all look ok. Valve seat was clean and small hole in seat was open. I poored gas into the screen and found that it would hold the gas in the cup of the screen and not let any fuel through. I tryed cleaning the screen with solvent, it would not work. then tryed spray carb cleaner it worked a little but still not clean.
I got some honda cumbustion chamber cleaner and sprayed the screen. in about 3 minutes the screen was like new. I washed the screen with fresh gas.I recheck to see if the gas would flow through. This time all worked great. gas ran through filter very well. I didnot hear the fuel pump whine as i think it was only straving on top end. you would never here the pump whine with your helmet on at top end speeds.
It must have been running through the frt suction screen. I did a compression test . engine cold and throttle wide open engine compression was 125 psi. on both sides. I think i might have saved the engine.
I real think that anyone riding efi sleds should check the fuel screens before your next ride.
I think the (tar like stuff may be from the first tank of fuel that was mixed with injection oil). Where esle could it have come from?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taz, you may be on to something.  Mix a powder with oil and you'd get a tar like substance.  I am going to ask my dealer what the screens looked like on mine.

"I real think that anyone riding efi sleds should check the fuel screens before your next ride."

I agree!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could i be having the same problem? see last week on a cold start the engine wouldn't go over 4k rpm, with feathering the throttle i was able to get it going (rocking the sled like freeing a frozen track helped it too)but it seemed to starve for fuel mid & top.... after a couple of miles it cleared. so my two questions are 1:where is this filter and how to check it? 2:what is this valve your talking about?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2k2zl800esr,
Is your sled an 02' EFi?  If so you probably have some clogging.  They are commonly called smart valves but are actually the fuel pick-ups located in the bottom of the fuel tank.  Check out www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/  look up your sled to see a picture of the fuel pump assembly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I checked mine yesterday. I didn't see anything on the screen at all. From what you guys have been saying I am guessing I would have noticed. The sled has 775miles on it. I just cleaned the valves as well for the first time. They weren't to bad. I run Klotz TCW-3. Hopefully I lucked out with the valves. I also talked to my dealer he said he has only had one sled so far with a problem like that. I hope you guys get your sleds fixed up and back on the trails soon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
At browns it only calls out a "fuel pick up".  This fuel pick up has the filter or screen that clogs up.  My question is where are the smart valves.  Are they under that screen?  Is smart valves another name for the "fuel pick up" assembly?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was told the smart valve is the fuel pickup. And the screen is where the problem starts.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Guys the so called smart valve is inside the pickup. when you take off the screen there is a small spring and a white rubber/plastic dics.This dics also has a very small pin hole in it make sure it is not blocked. that disc is the smart valve.                                                                              Iron will you said you checked yours and it looked good. I have one question for you. when you pulled the rear pickup filter assy. out of your tank. was the membrain of the filter nice and smooth and not sucked up to the top of the hgs.. I checked another buddys sled last night. The membrain was also stuck on his sled . When i removed the filter screen it looked not to bad. It was not as brown as mine. I straighten the membrain out so it was round and smooth and poored clean solvent into it. The solvent would not flow through the filter/ membrain. After cleaning with the honda cleaner the filter/membrain was real white. (Bright white) While i was cleaning it with my finger and the cleaner you could feel the sticky TAR/OIL residue on your fingers to the point that when you squeezed your fingers to geather they would stick as you pulled them apart.  I think you better look agian at the filter.
The first thing you see when you pull the filter out of the tank is that the screen/filter/membrain is sucked up into the housing. Then you know the filter is restricted or plugged. It is very hard to look at it and say its clean. As i found out last night. when i cleaned another buddys sled.
CHECK THEM BEFORE YOU RIDE. THE RIDING YEAR IS TO SHORT ALREADY>
TAZ800   P.S. Ironwill now that you removed your rear suction and check it. it may have unstuck if it was, because you moved and wiggled it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like the pump "whines" becasue the pressure after the S/V goes sky high due to the buildup of "gunk."  I.E like trying to suck down a really thick milkshake and your mouth is the pump.  But I don't think your mouth will make any whinning sounds.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The screen was flat across the bottom of the valve nice brite white. Seemed to have no trouble allowing fuel through.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had the pump go in my 800 once already. Today I checked the so called smart valve and the filter was smooth and looked clean. My question is how do you remove the filter. I don't feel like screwing anything up.  

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have finished my sled and did everything AC told them.   They washed the tank out (still don't know how) and told me the sled is 100%.  Only problem I have is we have NO SNOW non, nada, zip and I am heading to Yellowstone next week and won't be able to test out the sled.  I should be really nervous but the owner of the AC dealership is also going and he said if my sled goes down he'd rent me one!  Lets hope NOT, if it does I'll add to this post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts