Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. please take a look at enclosed pictures of the air screw from my 1980 Enticer 340. I need advise if the air screw should be replace?

2. Also I took a close up of a marking under the air screw (9,8,3...see picture). Is that a setting for Turns Out? or there is other meaning?

3. While the carb is already taken out form engine, should I do other inspections as well? please advise!!!! Is it recommend to buy a carb kit to overhaul the carb? thanks.

This is my first time to dismantle a crab.........I want to learn from you guys....rerally appreciate your input.

Thanks

Harry

P.S. the result I took the carb out is because I have problem to pull start the engine. After readjust the air screw to 1 turn out, the engine can start but not everytime thought. I mentioned from previous post that I need to press hold the throttle and pull several time to restart the engine which I think is not appropriate in normal situation? I don't know.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Harry,

Just clean up the end of the mixture screw with some steel wool or an SOS pad. Someone obviously cranked it in too tight and scored it. The stampings on the carb bottom are reference numbers. I believe you should start with that screw 1 1/2 turns out after lightly seating it in the carb body. The other area for some attention is the pilot jet (small tube next to the main jet) Get a screw driver that fits that brass screw inside and remove it carefully. Take it and the hexagon shaped main jet out and let them soak in some lacquer thinner (carb cleaner) over night. If they don't come out spotless, observe the numbers stamped on each of them and replace them. Mikunis rarely need bowl gaskets unless they've been over tightened..you should be able to get by re using the old gaskets but don't soak them in anything. I've been known to put a disassembled carb in the dish washer to clean it out (don't tell my wife).
Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Harry,

Just clean up the end of the mixture screw with some steel wool or an SOS pad. Someone obviously cranked it in too tight and scored it. The stampings on the carb bottom are reference numbers. I believe you should start with that screw 1 1/2 turns out after lightly seating it in the carb body. The other area for some attention is the pilot jet (small tube next to the main jet) Get a screw driver that fits that brass screw inside and remove it carefully. Take it and the hexagon shaped main jet out and let them soak in some lacquer thinner (carb cleaner) over night. If they don't come out spotless, observe the numbers stamped on each of them and replace them. Mikunis rarely need bowl gaskets unless they've been over tightened..you should be able to get by re using the old gaskets but don't soak them in anything. I've been known to put a disassembled carb in the dish washer to clean it out (don't tell my wife).
Good Luck !!![/b]
Ditto's on washing the carb in the dishwasher. I have an old one in my shop I use to use to clean our kart racing engines. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my extra PZ480 engine someday.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your needle looks fine from my perspectice. i would give the carb a good cleaning though and then back the needle out 1.0 turns.[/b]
Hi K...
can you be more specific of how to clean? What to look for? Pay attention to where? I have no experience and need guidence. thanks a lot!

Harry

·
Registered
347 Posts
i usually will take a small peice of wire and run it through the main jet to ensure nothing is blocking the passage way. then i will spray the carb down with some cleaner. generally i let it sit until the cleaner evaporates.
when your carb is off, its a good time to inspect the float and needle and seat. a way to check your needle and seat is to turn the ca b upside down and try to blow through the fuel inlet. if you cant blow any air through your needle is fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
just like to add..
be VERY VERY carefull when you tighten that pilot jet back up after cleaning it..it can EASILY break off..
was doing a carb job for a freind recently, and got a bit destracted while tightening one down, and broke it off..sucked pain in the rear, but finaly got it out, and a new one..
anyway, just be sure you dont try to crank it down real tight..

with the main jet, pilot jet, and idle mix screw removed..using the straw that comes with the can of carb cleaner, stick it in any and ALL holes you see anywhere on that carb, and spray it out..including the air metering hole on the air box side of the carbs throat..
when you have that idle mix screw out, be sure not to lose the little tiny washer, and or the o ring!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts