Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new (1 1/2 yrs) to snowmobiling and own a '97 ZR580 as my first sled. It has about 3,600mi on it currently. No known engine work other than a new stator last yr and typical yearly maintenance.

How many miles is alot on a sled like this and what, if anything, should i expect? Is it is time for a newer sled, etc.? Any thougts would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 4800 miles on my 97 ZR580 EFI and had it blow up twice last year
the first time they said it was the timing sensor
the second time it was a bad ring pin in the piston Arctic Cat coverd it the second time but it was $1000 the first time.

Also keep a close eye on the intake boots they are known to rot and cause a lean condition.

I have also heard of people having no trouble, just my bad luck i guess

hope this helps, HAPPY SLEDDIND.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
They are know to be a little hard on pistons with the skirts failing once they get a few thousand miles on them. My understanding is that they are the most prone in the 4-5000 miles range according to those that have posted on the subject. Not a bad engine but not a big miler either.
If you have any inclination to move up to something newer it might just be the right time to do so, but hey lots of folks get big miles out of them to, so who knows.
Rick.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Opps, forgot about the boots. Check them now and replace if theres any signs of cracking, cheap insurance against a burn down.
Rick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should replace the pistons and rings. I had a 98 ZR500 burn a hole in one pistons with 4500mi on it. I also had an EXT 550 shatter a piston with too many miles. It gets expensive very fast having something go wrong inside the motor.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My bro has 3000 on his 95 EXT EFI with only a coolant sensor going bad. Good motor, just needs some periodic TLC.

·
Registered
268 Posts
99 Pantera 580 EFI 7200 mi. no engine work except for intake boots and starter.Still purred when I sold it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts