Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most sleds without saddles have limited space. What at the absolute minimum should you carry when trail riding? Plugs,belt,allen wrenches,maps, etc.? Thanks for a response.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would always have screw driver, plyers, spark plug wrench, set of plugs, extra belt and what ever it is going to take to change that belt. I would also highly suggest a qt. of oil. A map is a good idea if you don't know where you are otherwise a GPS and a cell phone also come in handy. Next, if you have space, a tow strap and a thermal blanket.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I carry the stock tool kit on the sled, my Leatherman WAVE, a tow rope, zip ties, and a touque so you can take your helmet off and not freeze your head at -30C

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also carry the stock tool set, plus: open end wrenchs specific for the important bolts on the machine, flashlight, duct tape, tow rope, zip-ties, quart of oil, map (pouch on handle bar), ball cap and knit cap, form fit gloves to work on machine, plugs, belt, candy bar or two, and a bottle of water.

I carry all sorts of tools with me on my trip, but I leave them in the truck. I never ride alone, therefore, if anything major is necessary, I'd get a ride back (or tow) from my "buddy" and do the big work back at the ranch. I guess if you were to ride alone all the time, more goodies would be necessary.

A list of stuff I bring and leave in the truck: slides, carbides, oil, gear oil, jets, service manuals, jack. If I am without my wife, I also bring her sled (Vmax 700) just in case mine decides it's tired.

Jon

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Should add...Spare belt and plugs are a given ;)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Don't forget the condoms. :D

Actually, I agree with the above, and would add a small coil of wire. Anything you cant repair with Duct Tape, you can with wire.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
:withstupid:

We carry most of that stuff too. Socket set, plugs, screw drivers, electical tap, clamps, zip ties, heavy duty tow rope for those snow cross tow rides home, extra exhast springs and 6' of fuel line!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
For Ski Doo riders I carry those little rubber bands that hold on the windshield. Roll the sled (a bad habit of mine), the windshield pops off and 75 cents worth of rubber band later - good as new!

·
Registered
355 Posts
basically got the same as everyone else...stock tool kit w/the sled, plug socket, emergency startin rope, xtra plugs...etc...heavy duty tow rope(towin cats)...ecopter else mentioned caring wrenchs for the important stuff on the sled thinkin of doin that this yr to...doesnt hurt...just make sure u got it all secure so it doesnt go all over the place in the little rear pouch...keep the oil and fuel tanks full and your all set.... :thumbsup: -INDY

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Spare Belt
Plugs and wrench
7/16,1/2,9/16,10mm,12mm,13mm,wrenches
several 16ths wrench-ie vicegrips
screwdrivers
tie wraps
elect. tape
touque
extra gloves
tow rope,for other people of course
bungee cords

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take something to start a fire. Those barbecue lighters filled with butane work well. Also take along a small first aid kit with everything needed for small cuts and bruises.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I riveted a tool box to my clutch guard to hold extra plugs, leatherman, ties, duck tape etc. Frees up a little room in the trunk.

I also mounted one of the older style skidoo tool boxes up front (in the nose cone) to hold a tow strap, space blanket, extra flashlight and compass.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think if you took all the stuff everyone suggested you'd need a trailer to cary it! :D

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
aside from the stock tool kit i carry nothing on the sled. if it is well maintained and looked right after then nothing will go wrong.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Paul, how many miles do you ride??
I would rather have extra tools with me then run the chance of walking home!!
Besides, last year my buddy and I rode up on a couple broke down, we needed a break and we stopped to give them a hand... sure is nice using a real plug wrench and screwdrivers then using the ones that come in our kits. We don't even carry the AC ones any more.
Another guy ran out of fuel last year... we pulled one of sleds up on the snow bank, used our 4' of fuel line and drain enough fuel to get the guy to the next town.
But... thats up to you I guess.

Ride on boys!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I carry strips of milk carton for starting a fire (the wax coating keeps it from getting wet), and just about everything else mentioned previously.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Don't be too reliant on cell phones as in central & northern Ontario they are basically useless.

A camping supply store has fire starter sticks.

When we 'doo our northern blastoff (over 1000 miles) I'll start w/ new carbides on the sled & wire the used ones under the hood somewhere. This is especially helpful if you are running non-OEM skis that aren't readily available.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I carry spare belt and plugs, factory tool kit thats about it, I know this old guy that carries everything that you can imagine from a shovel and saw to duct tape, extra runner's full tool kit I could go on and on, this guys sled must weigh a extra 250lb with the amount of stuff he carries. He also put's on 10'000 to 15000 k a season so I guess he want to be prepard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by paul yarek@Nov 15 2002, 03:36 AM
aside from the stock tool kit i carry nothing on the sled. if it is well maintained and looked right after then nothing will go wrong.
HAHAHA, I wish that were only true!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts