Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a MXZ 700 do with a TRA drive clutch. I got a good deal on a Polaris XC700 Secondary (thought it was for the Doo). It appears there is a difference of 2 degrees in face pitch. Can I still run it with the TRA.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Well the closest I have is this year I bought a clutch off a Polaris 97 indy touring (cheap off ebay) so I could tune my wife's secondary while still leaving one installed. It's in much better shape than her current clutch so I thought it would be an upgrade. With this new clutch, no matter what I do it seems to shift out too much compared to the 92 sks clutch. Using the same helix and spring combos, I get about 6800 RPM where I get 8000 on the original SKS clutch. I cleaned them both the same way and replaced the slider pads, so my only working theory was the new clutch has a different pitch. I'm not even sure that's the problem but I have no idea what else it could possibly be. If that's my problem then it may be a problem for you as well but you can always just bolt it on and find out, right? Make sure you get the belt alignment and deflection pretty good, it might be off at first.

My question is how can you tell? Is there a way to measure the pitch or can you hold them up next to each other and see a difference?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can measure with a protractor and straight edge, however i would think that a contour pin gauge (used in woodworking) would be an easyer way to compare it to a stock clutch.
Thanks for the responce.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I too am intrested in this as well. I don't have an answer for this . I thought dynamo joe would as he seemed to have more on the topic before. hope he chimes in and explains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have talked with Team tech support and they say that using the Polaris team secondary with a Ski doo TRA is not a problem. Its about using the correct helix and spring

·
Registered
603 Posts
hello..
tra ii is 12 degree primary clutch angle
p-85 secondary is 14 degree angle

you can mix n match clutch sheave angles not a problem.

example., 2004 lynx 440 has tra iii primary variable sheave 12~14 degree angle mixed with formula tra iii style secondary 12 degree angle

I sell a lot of kits to guys who run older tra ii primary with tra iii secondary and usual calibration change is reduce the final force of the primary spring to provide proper kit calibration.

:)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
i really think you are a clutch God joe but when machining polaris sec i get 29-30 degrees. the primary usually cleans up at 28 when removing the dual angle. i experimented with clutch sheave angles in length on my grass sled. i found no gain over stock angles. i really think the angle is determined only by the sheave travel. otherwise it doesnt seem to make any difference. i imagine a 4 degree dif may cause some belt wear though. mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts