Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter if you were using one brand of synthetic and then decided to switch brands to another synthetic, without having the bottle emptied or the system drained, i mean synthetic is synthetic right?  I know not to mix synthetic and conventional, just curious on what u guys think.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Doesn't matter at all.  In fact, I wouldn't even worry about mixing conventional oils.  I think you would be hard pressed to find two oils that aren't compatable.

FishHog

·
Registered
337 Posts
can synthetic be mixed with conventional?  I have a llittle conventional in my tank and wish to switch to synthetic.  Is that going to be bad?

thanks

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If I am correct, most synthetic manufacturers will state on the jug that it is quite compatible when switching from one to another. No need to drain the old type out for the new, but I personally would'nt do a 50/50 reg/syn mix all the time LOL. I am sure you wouldnt either;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
My friends and I have changed oil brands many times over the years with no problems. I would suggest running the old oil down in the tank but otherwise mix away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In ski-doo's owners manual they say it's o/k to mix their mineral and synthetic oil.I have been mixing mineral and synthetic at 50% since 1997.All brands,this year I'm trying ski-doo mineral with shell synthetic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY.  NO DIFF BETWEEN GOOD MINERAL OIL AND SYNTHETIC.  IVE TRYED TO FIND SOME SHADE OF A DIFFERANCE WITH THESE NEW EXAUST AND POWER VALVES ON THE ENGINES TODAY, AND AFTER 1000 MILES OF EACH I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY DIFFERANCE. IN PERFORMANCE OR CLEANLENESS OF THE VALVES. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED ITS A MONEY GRAB. JUST ANOTHER MOUSE TRAP FOR YOUR $$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One of the biggest things I hate is to ride paranoid.  Worried about about if my new oil is compatable,  if my jetting change is too lean, maybe I should've rebuilt my clutch, etc, etc. .  The best way to feel comfortable about mixing oils that I've heard of is to mix them in a jar, let the jar sit for a day and see if the oils separate or if they stay mixed up.  If they separate it may not be a good idea to mix them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts