Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hear (and just read from the DNR's site) that starting this year you have to have a sledding lic. if your under 21? What BS is that? First it started with beer, then it went to rental cars, then sleds and rumor has it ATVs are not that far away! Sorry just venting - I called to get my girl freind signed up for a class - hahaha GOOD LUCK! Everything is booked through the DNR and everyone else reqs to be granted a seat you have to be a member to thier club ( or atleast the 10 that I went to )  

Jesse Ventura!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yeah, they added an extra 2 years to the cutoff for who had to go thru safety training.  I believe it was if you were born after 12/31/79 you had to take the class, but now they moved the date to 12/31/77, so I'm included.  Goes into effect Oct 31, if memory serves.  I keep checking the DNR site for classes, but nothing has been set up in St. Louis county yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
so why is the reason for this?i think because young riders are getting hurt, don't take it the worng way but alot of young riders are looking for faster sleds

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wish they would do that in Maine then maybe it would be safe to take the family out riding on weekends.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So do you have to take the class if you are 20 or younger, or is it that if you were born after 1977 you have to take the class??  I can't imagine many older people getting into sledding a few years from now if they are about 30 and have to go take a class for it

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (performancex @ Sep. 09, 2002, 4:46pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, they added an extra 2 years to the cutoff for who had to go thru safety training.  I believe it was if you were born after 12/31/79 you had to take the class, but now they moved the date to 12/31/77, so I'm included.  Goes into effect Oct 31, if memory serves.  I keep checking the DNR site for classes, but nothing has been set up in St. Louis county yet.[/b][/quote]
This guy hit it on the nose.  Its not a big deal.  The course is only a couple of hours.  And the test is about as easy as they come.  I got a 99% on the test without looking at the book, and a 98% on the driving test.  I was 12 at the time.  Easy stuff.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would have to drive a long way just to take that test though.  I don't think they should have enforced this law before they had more places testing could happen.  Anyone know of how much the fine will be if you get caught.  I don't like the idea of anyone over 18 or even 21 for that matter, to have to go to classes to ride a snowmobile.  Yes, I do understand that there are idiots that ride to fast for their abilities, but do you think four hours of class will change the idiots??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got into a class but they made me join the club otherwise I wouldn't be granted a seat for sure. Its funny becuae I already got it once, can't find the card and the state can't verify that I ever got it. I did supply them with the check that said on the memo line "snowmobile permit"

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I just know I'm going to catch some flack for this, but what the heck.

I think EVERYONE that rides a sled on state trails should be required to have taken basic safety training that would include hands on and classroom. There are too many people out there that just simply don't have a clue about signals or courtesy.

Sorry about that guys, but that's how I feel about it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I agree with you idooski, but I think that they need to do it in school while you are younger amd not force it on adults.  Maybe even include it in with drivers ed or something.  It just seems silly to me to make an adult that can, and has driven a car for years go to a class to learn the same stuff all over again aside from hand signals and some common sense curtesy.  Granted, going to a class can only do more good than harm though...

Last edited by phazerhater at Sep. 10, 2002, 6:29pm

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is this just for MN residents?  It takes a lot longer than 4 hours to break old habits.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Once you take it, see if it then qualifies you for a discount on your insurance. As a requirement for my job I had to take the Adult Safe Riders course, 3 hours of an evening, good for a 10% discount on my personal sled.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the course is a requirement then it sould be easily accessable by anyone,no matter if you belong to a club or not,I.E. offerd by the state(they require it) at all moter vehicle offices,or online.the idea of a required saftey course is a good one,but dont make a pain to comply with .        

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (UNCLEBUCK @ Sep. 11, 2002, 08:03am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If the course is a requirement then it sould be easily accessable by anyone,no matter if you belong to a club or not,I.E. offerd by the state(they require it) at all moter vehicle offices,or online.the idea of a required saftey course is a good one,but dont make a pain to comply with .        
[/b][/quote]
I agree with it too that people should take a safty class with a check ride. I took it when I was 15. The problem is I can't find my card and the state told me "tuff ####" - literally you'll have to take it again. Then I go and try and find a class with out having the join a club -hahaha good luck. Everything is booked or up in the boon docks of norhtern MN. Also my girl friend has gone riding now the past couple years and now she can't go? This seems kind of odd, don't they usually grand father clause people in to these things. She is stuck down that the U with no car and is expected to join a club and then take a class. I know this is part my fault considering I don't keep up on the MN laws for sledders bu still. You think there would have been mention of this on the news.

Last edited by phazerhater at Sep. 11, 2002, 09:23am

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is this just for MN residents?  It takes a lot longer than 4 hours to break old habits.[/b][/quote]
Residents only.
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">nce you take it, see if it then qualifies you for a discount on your insurance. [/b][/quote]
If it's required by law, I doubt any ins.co. will give a discount for having the certification.  If anything, you probably won't be able to get insurance unless you've taken the course.  They won't give you car insurance if you don't have a driver's license.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My INS. company charges me 160 per year for my sled, I don't know what discount they would give me. I called, they said nada.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I was wrong.  It says right on my registration card, in big capital letters, 'starting october 1 2002, anyone born after december 31 1976 needs to have taken a snowmobile safety course to operate a snowmobile'.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts