Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all - I have decided the time is right for a new helmet, just in case I get to go sledding this year!  I am thinking of the Bombardier Modular.  What are the opinions of the people that use them?  are you happy with them?  Are they fog/frost free?  Are they ventilated enough?

I know this topic was here before but darned if I can find it.

And besides, with no snow, we all have nothing better to do - may as well talk about sledding. :angry:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I couldn't hardly believe it when I heard. The Cat dealer I use sells HJC Symax helmets, along with CKX and Arctic Cat. The co-owner, who also races sleds, bought that Skidoo brain bucket. He claims ZERO fog plus built in sunglasses. I think I will look into getting one when I need a new helmet. Just wish they had Arctic Cat stickers on them.  :0

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
enduringexplorer, I thought about that too - A/C sells a sticker decal kit.  I am going to get that and put one over the Bombardier sticker on each side.  Presto!! A/C lid!

They have a tinted visor that slides down out of the top - very cool indeed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Now comes the major challenge, though. With no more Cat triples, how are we going to cover up all that yellow on the sled without letting anyone know we had to switch brands? I don't think Cat makes a sticker that big!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are not making triples anymore.....but I still have my 2001 T-Cat and will ride it till it dies......by then, I will need another new helmet.....

·
Registered
300 Posts
The modular rocks.  It doesn't fog, has a built in sun visor and it's nice to be able to leave the helmet on yet still flip the whole front up.  One drawback is the clips for the mask.  I used a little bit of oil on the snaps and it made a world of difference.  Now instead of prying the clip with all my might it pops off smoothly. hth eric

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Hi guys !  The mod is the best thing i have bought so far! if you wear the mask ther is no fog what so ever. only bad thing is changing the tampon in the mask after a couple of rides. When you buy it it comes with no stickers on it only the little bombardier crest in the front. Here is what mine looks like !

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I love my modular helmet.  I ride with all brand sleds.  I am not brand loyal and neither are my riding buddies.  We like what works the best.  I ride Ski-Doo and use Polaris chain oil, at $11.00 a gallon it works the best.  All my buddies are probably going to switch over to the Modular helmet.  This helmet is the best helmet I have ever had.  I still like my HJC with the electric sheild, but after 130.00 for the helmet and 80.00 for the cord, and 11.00 for the outlet, HMMM. that is 221.00, then after 2 years it's another 80.00 for a new shield.  Well, you do the math.  You will get arguments about Dot rated and not snell rated, but the reason is the front of the helmet has a hinge which snell won't rate yet.   I don't plan on hitting a tree with my face, but if I do, it won't matter which helmet I am wearing, it's gonna hurt!  I love mine, but I know a lot of people against them because of the lack of snell rating.     This is a big issue, and something you need to take into consideration,  your head is very much needed after an accident.  There, now go buy the helmet that fits your needs the best.  Piece out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Another thought would be a snow cross style helmet, I have one of those also.  They work great and don't fog up either.  You can change lenses for next to nothing on your goggles also.   Contact www.sled-parts.com they have a great deal on  them .

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had my Mod. helmet for 2 seasons and I also love it,never had a problem yet with it fogging up.The best thing I found out when using it is to not use those those pads inside the mask,they are useless.They load up with moisure in no time and come loose and press against your nose and mouth.Also don't drop it our you will crack the visor ??? .

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the black Doo helmet.  Used it for three seasons.  I love it.  Never fogs, built in sun glasses, and easy on/off.  My buddy just got the Polaris version.  That is a sweet helmet also.  It is tapered in the back like a street bike races helmet.  It has the same features as the Doo.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Greatest invention since the wheel! Pull out the foam in front and throw away the tampons and its good to go.........

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm being completely literal;  You can not fog a Modular helmet even if you try.

It is the best piece of equipment I own.  I also have a motocross with goggles, the Mod is way better if it's below 25 degrees.  For warm weather I do like the motocross.

You will not regret it spending a little extra on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got a NOLAN modular helmet I wear glasses and any modular is great with glasses you don't have to take them off to put on your helmet I used it 2 seasons fits good looks good seems a little lighter than the others but the breath deflector is lousy and no sun visor only fogs when standing still and front down but I keep the shield cracked open for fresh air any way.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I got a modular helmet last year and wouldn't be with out it now. Like they said it comes with no stickers on it and the crest can be removed so there is no Doo stuff on it . I was a bit concerened about the durability of the hinged front piece in a crash , but if I was in crash that bad as to damage the helmet , I most likely wouldn't be here anyhow to worry about it . I still used the tampons in the mask , they need to be changed every couple hrs of riding , but I like them there .

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have one and I don't like it, Im on my third season w/ it and I find they are cheaply made.  I know Im a minority. My friends like theirs.   I love the snocross helmets w/ quick straps, not as heavy as the modulars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A guy we ride with has one. He has mixed feeling about it. Most of the time its ok. But if gets really cold and snowing the snow and ice stick to the outside edge of the shield. Then the lens fogs in this area. I have seen his fog alot in this type of weather.
That modular with a heated sheild would be great...
He said the sun visor will also freeze in place and not move.

I was going to get one and might still..

Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own both Nolan and HJC mods.  The Nolan works pretty good but not perfect.  The HJC w/electric shield is fantastic and tough too...I have walked away from my sled about 6 times now without unplugging the cord. My neck is sore but the helmet hasn't shown any ill effects.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive had my modular for three yrs now and I love it.
The only problem with it is your breathing cold are all the time.
Not a problem until it gets below twenty out.
You will get a sore throat if your riding hard and breathing heavy all day.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the comments, everyone

what are the "tampons" you are referring to?  I looked again at one and all I saw were the front foam pieces that go in the mask?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts