Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you use a modular helmet (ski-doo brand) ?
Do you like it ? I have heard a few people not like it due to the breath tubes freezing and also getting frostbite around the breath cup.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I bought one the second year they were out. I like it at times, but don't like it at other times. I think it is very nice to have when it is "colder" out, no problems with fogging. I do not like it when it is above say 20 degrees, it gets hot in that thing! If I had to do it over again, I would not spend the money on it, but would buy a regular helmut and put a heated shield on it. Just my opinion on it, take it how you want.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i know two with them that smoke they like them for that, also they say there is no fogging up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This helmet will give you no fog at all. Can`t drive 100mph and not see.
It is worth the money.omo :doh:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i have a modular and a snowcross,i do like the modular and as long as you wear a balaclava you will not get frost bite,and the sun shield is a nice feature :D my buddy go4it had major frostbite,he was riding at -35 to-40c WITHOUT A BALACLAVA,and making it worse he was on a srx(very low windshield)you should see his before and after pics,his head was like a pumpkin

·
Registered
918 Posts
I love my modular. Its a little heavy but never ever fogs. Best feature is the built in sunglasses though!
Ryan

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the Ski Doo modular. It is great for those of us who wear glasses. A heated visor does you no good if your glasses are fogged. I have had great luck with it not fogging unless the mouthpiece is not seated properly. I have gotten frostbite around the mouthpiece more than once. I have had troubles with the balaclava because it doesn't fit well around the mouthpiece. If I wear it under I get fogging problems. How do you guys wear the balaclava? Generally I am very happy with it except it is heavier which can be a drag on long trips. I do get icing in cold temps but not to the point that it was a serious problem. I just let it melt off when I go inside. I dohave safety concerns in a serious accident. The face guard is latched down using two flimsy pieces of plastic. The machenism works fine, but if you are really taking a hit to the face where there is an upward push on the jawpiece I doubt if it would hold. The only other problem is in the tubes that carry your breath out. They tend to break eventually from unsnapping. The replacement part is cheap, just buy a couple of extra when you buy the helmet (not the whole mouth piece, just the breath tubes). Overall I am happy with it and give it a 'buy' recommendation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought a modular hemet last year for the first time and I love it. Mine came with its own liner that snaps around the breath piece. Its a bit of a chore to put on because you have to pull it back toward your ear while the helmet is on, but I don't have to wear anything else under the helmet. I got mine at the Novi show last year and that piece was already in the box, I would think all you original owners would be able to get one at your Ski Doo dealer. I don't think I could live without the tinted visor again.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I have a report on my Modula,r it is in the electric visor thread. If anyone who owns a modular goes to the doo dealer they will give them (free) one of the extra face protection shields for the -30 days.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the all yellow modular helmet. I have had it since ski doo came out with them. I love this helmet. well worth the money. Never fogs and sometimes does get hot but I just crack the visor a little ( when going under 50).

I would recommened this helmet to anyone. :D

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I go suckered into buying one of those pieces of junk. Nothing but problems all year long. It's heavy. The breath ports freeze up real bad to the point where you actually cant breath. The sun sheild is fine but scares the hell out of you when it drops down unexpectantly at night. Mine kept coming loose at would do this all the time. I had to replace the flexable breath tubes7 times last year and the snap and arms about 5 times. To make matters worse last year Bombardier had a supply problem and I couldn't where the helmet for almost 3 weeks. Not only was the flexable arms breaking but the snaps would just fall apart. I followed my dealers advice and put vasoline on the snaps to make them easier to take off and put on but it didn't much matter. I finally found new snaps at a hobby store and they were much better quality and I had less problems with them. I called Bombardier cust. service but they did absolutely nothing for me.
They said if I wanted to I could mail them the helmet and they would look at it butthis was in the middle of the season and it aint cheap to mail a helmet. My nephews now have the helmet and they use it to play with. I now have an HJC helmet. I took a $300.00 loss on the helmet but I bet I'll have no problems with my new HJC falling apart.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Originally posted by BLADEGUY@Oct 10 2002, 04:48 AM
I do have safety concerns in a serious accident. The face guard is latched down using two flimsy pieces of plastic. The machenism works fine, but if you are really taking a hit to the face where there is an upward push on the jawpiece I doubt if it would hold.
That's what I was thinking & posted on the heated shield topic.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The only bad thing I have ever heard about the modular helmets was that on the first models your cheeks and forehead would get real cold due to all the air flow to keep fog down. With the new models though I have only heard praise about them. In fact that will probably be my next helmet purchase. ;)

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 10 2002, 03:07 PM

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I love mine, its a millennium edition all chrome and its the best helmet i ever had ! Not one little bit of fog, only thing is you have to change those pads once and a while and my snaps never broke off except when my brother in law closed the helmet while the mask was sticking out. Got a replacment for free ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can't find one that fits my fat noodle, they all feel way too tight :angry: other than that i have heard good things about them and would buy one if it fit properly :sly:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
This is from the skidoo site Rollo.D.Motoski

Modular Helmet

Content

Shell: IMAC (Impact Modified Alloy composite)
Graphics applied with an ink transfer process for a high quality finish and increased scratch resistance

Features

New revised price
D.O.T. approved
Double-lens visor
Sunshield with adjustable positions
Front push-button release
Quick release chin strap
Ventilation system
Washable interior
"BREATH EVAC" fog resistant mask system
* patent pending

I would like to try the modular but I'm not sure about wearing that breath guard.I have thrown away the one that came with my HJC.I have a small face and nose so they dont fit my face snugly.My helmet is an xsmall.I have a puny head.I have the electric visor right now but am in need of another helmet.I dont know if I want to pay $400.00 for a helmet and find out I hate it. ???

Last edited by LadyK at Oct 10 2002, 01:05 PM

·
Registered
283 Posts
Originally posted by ger@Oct 10 2002, 03:47 AM
How many of you use a modular helmet (ski-doo brand) ?
Do you like it ? I have heard a few people not like it due to the breath tubes freezing and also getting frostbite around the breath cup.
I have an all-black one and I must say that it's a very nice looking helmet that works great for cold temps (with a balaclava) and high-speed riding. However, now that I've started using a MX-style helmet and goggles, I really doubt I'll ever use the modular for anything other than Jan-Feb long distance rides.

BTW, I cracked one of the arms off of my evac breath mask - the littl epart that has one of the buttons on it - and I was wondering where I could get another mask. Anybody know if there is/was a warranty issue with these or where I could get a replacement?

-Rob

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had the top gun style modular from Laser (a lot like Ski-Doo's). It's very nice but I didn't like the fact that you still have to unlatch the breath-guard once the face is flipped up.

I now have a GMax modular, which is about $70 less. The breath guard is more of a traditional style and is attached to the helmet, so when you flip up the front you're done. It's a great helmet for the $ and I've had zero fogging problems with it even down to -15F.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love mine. Had a few problems with the snaps breaking, but I took a plyiers and gently squezzed the male end to make it snap on easier. Haven't had any problems since.

And when it is warm, I just open the shield a tad and let that cool air in.

Benifits:

Tinted pull down visor. Especially nice if you wear contacts.
Never fogs.
Great for smokers, the full face hinges up.
They look great.
And, I don't think they are heavy at all.

Just costs way to much.

Kirk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts