Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year snowmutt and myself had 3 major trips that we took ( fewer than most years) I have thought about how much we actually spent and broke it down to what we paid per mile. lol

When I got done with the math it worked out to be a little over 1 dollar per sled per mile. :crazy: I have figured in gas, lodging, food, miscellaneous expenses, and upgrades prior to the season starting.

I think it's pretty safe to say we spend alot of money on this sport but we keep doing it each and every year because we Love it so much !

Not even a low snow year can detour our passion for this sport. I know many on here feel the same way.

Snow4

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I don't even like to think about what I spend annually to support my snowmobile addiction.

My sleds are getting older ('00, '01, '02), the miles were getting up there, and 2 of the 3 (one is my girlfriend's) broke down during the last couple weeks of the season. We're planning on a couple of big trips next year (anyone interested in doing the Agawa Canyon snow tour?), and that kind of reliability just won't cut it. So, we took advantage of the really low prices we found this past week, and bought 2 '07s with 900 miles on them. A 600 HO Fusion, and an Appex RSX. Both awesome deals, but still, recovering from sticker shock is going to take awhile. Will now be storing 5 sleds for a while....

But in the end, you know what? It's a hobby. I don't need to justify it. I can't.......

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I try not to think about it and try and not let the wife see how much it actually costs! :whistling:

·
Registered
657 Posts
The great thing about hobbies is just that: They're hobbies. Sometimes you spend more than you intend to (ok, most times, lol) some hobbies cost more than others. But there isn't always a need to spend. If the money gets tight, simply cut back on expenses (maybe not buying that accessory that does nothing other than change the looks, for example). But to justify any hobby is a dumb idea anyway. A hobby is a hobby, we do it because we want to, not because we have to anyway. Much like eating take-out. It's not necessary, but every now and then we want to treat ourselves. Hobbies and snowmobiling are the same thing. Expensive, yes. But if you enjoy it enough, the emotions that come with it make it all worth the while. It's the things we do to keep sane that make life worth living, even if it does break the bank :D

·
10,054 Posts
xcr583 hit it dead on the head,,, ""not let the wife see how much it actually costs!""

I think it would be a one trip winter for me (that being a cheap weekend) if she had any clue how bad my addiction is to this sport,,,,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i guess i'm lucky then. i got my wife hooked on it,so as long as she gets her fix i can do what i want. empty nest helps too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
He he, you want to hear a story??? I don't know if I should share...

Me and Bro were planning a cross-province trip. We've never done such a run before. Mom was so upset by it, she helped convince dad to buy a newer machine so he could come with us. Yep, SHE convinced HIM to spend money on a newer machine. Sweet or what??? :D

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He he, you want to hear a story??? I don't know if I should share...

Me and Bro were planning a cross-province trip. We've never done such a run before. Mom was so upset by it, she helped convince dad to buy a newer machine so he could come with us. Yep, SHE convinced HIM to spend money on a newer machine. Sweet or what??? :D[/b]
For the price of a new machine, peace of mind, her family happy, your mom was thinking like a smart woman !

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i guess i'm lucky then. i got my wife hooked on it,so as long as she gets her fix i can do what i want. empty nest helps too.[/b]
That pretty much sums it up for us too Jake, ( Minus the empty nest part,) but we sure don't argue on sledding trips and/or money spent on them. The arguements might happen if we CANT go ride. lol

Snow4

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had good snow for about 3 weeks just outside my back door, so it was not ot bad about 50.00 bucks a night . And only got take one trip 500.00 for the weekend.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My snowmobiling expenses are $0. It's the Ice Fishing expenses that get me....... gas for the fishing trip, maintenance on my ice fishing transportation, etc. :undercover:

·
Registered
935 Posts
My friend now owns a place up North and my sleds are paid for.....This was THE cheapest winter I have ever had and lucky too. I had my third born back on Feb 10th and with the wife out of work, that is a major artery of income gone for 8 weeks!!
For 4 days of riding this past month up North with my 6+ year old was $400+/-. I only got 400 miles in....(covers registration, gas & food. Does not add in son's new helmet, mitts, pants and parts on the sled. That would be another $300).

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
well if you add it up for me it more like 5 bucks a mile[/b]
Well you might want to think about un-modding :whistling: How many time was your hood up on our trip? :crazy: Can't wait too do it again :thumbsup: See ya soon Freddy !!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
For just my sled I am at around $2.07 per km the wifes would me much lower her sled we bought outright.

What the hell else am I going to do with the cash, save it for when I die.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts