Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hve a 99 powder special im into dropping stuff and i need more throttle responce how would i go about this no i need to do some clutch work?kody

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Depends on your actual needs and what is going on right now.

By response do you mean that when you have allot of track speed (higher MPH of the track) does the machine not respond well, or the machine is very sluggish while getting it moving from a slower speed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the machine is very slow when im starting out i usually hold the brake floor it then let off the brake. what are some things i can do to gain more umph?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Probably the first thing would be re-build the clutches (bushings, etc...) if the clutch is binding (resisting to shift from idle) it will be sluggish like that.

I would suggest new springs after that to get everything back is spec. Sleds are very hard on clutch parts and allot of people change springs and re-build everything once a season. It is cheap if you do it regularly.

If all of that is to spec, and the results are poor I would suggest looking into working with the primary clutch allong the lines of a set of Polaris type weights (mid heavy vs. cat's typical tip heavy setups) and a Cat SnoPro primary spring. Another great place for some results would the CPR (Cutler Racing) as they make some pretty kick butt Cat mountain clutching especially in that vintage of machine.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
steeper helix

·
Registered
795 Posts
You might want install a clutch kit. Most kits will bring your engagment at a higher RPM which will be in your powerband. If you are looking more for bottom & mid, I would drop 2 teeth on the top gear. You will get better throttle response & not loose a whole lot on the top. If you deside on a kit, talk to the person you are buying from & tell them what you are looking for. Most kits come with Primary & secondary springs, Helix & weights. Hope this helps :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts