Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should this sled idle at (96 xlt 600)?  It fires up and goes to 1700 and after it warms up it drops to about 1300, is this right?

The 2 inch speedo key that goes into the driveshaft snapped.  IF, a big if, I can get the remains out of both sides, should I do the driveshaft bearings?  I guess I'm asking if a bad bearing caused the key to snap?

Any suggestions on how to repair HUGE cracks in the hood?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If the ultra hood is the same I have one along with a ultra motor,psi pipes and the rear skid with it's fox shocks.
Caleb

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi,

I got your email the other day, just been too busy to reply.

As for your idle, set it for what you want it to be. If your happy with 1300, thats fine. Seems to me the engagement RPM is about 3500-3800 on these, you should probably set idle at 2300-2500. Just tune your idle screw, pilot stage, and re-sync your carbs with the "uni-syn". If you don't have one - get one. Best tool you will ever own.

You said in your email that the line shaft bearing is shot. You should change it if your suspisious. The Mag side is always lubricated, PTO side usually fails because people forget to grease it.

As for the hood, I don't know if you have a XLT sp or just a regular XLT. If it's the wedge style hood, these are a dime a dozen from salvage yards - a good price is $125-150. If it's the evolved, they can run 200+. (speedo cable is about 10 bucks at a salvage yard)

Your email said you wanted help with determining if your clutch needs repair. This is easy to check.
- First remove the clutch (I'm pretty sure it's P-85, right)
- Remove the end plate
- Measure the spring, If it's not the exact height (+- 1mm) change it
- after the spring is out, look at your flyweights, slide them up the rollers, feel the rollers - do they feel sloppy? Move your flyweights side to side, check deflection in the bushings and pins - if you have side deflection, it's time to change the bushings for the weights.

Here's the tricky part - POLARIS DOES NOT SELL THESE BUSHINGS! But, beleive it or not, Arctic Cat does???!!!! Just buy 3 weight bushings from acrtic cat and press them in.
If you go to Polaris for bushings they will tell you to replace the entire weight.

PS, snow-tech also sells good weight bushings - 3 bucks each.

DO NOT, NO WAY, sand down the weights, they are coated with a special chemical that keep rust off them. (powdered snow, extream clutch heat, before you know it you are unbalanced due to oxidation)

If you need any help with your clutch you can just post it here, these Polaris clutches common, alot of people could help out.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Re: broken speedo cable
Usually you don't have much trouble getting out one end or the other. Take the end you get out and twist it into the one you can't get to (ragged end to ragged end). The stubborn side will usually pull right out.

Lots of reasons for that cable to break. Worst case is the one you mention with the bad bearing. Another very common problem would occur if the cable leading to the speedo were to rest on the exhaust system and melt....

I would suggest you hold off making ANY adjustments to your carbs till the weather gets much cooler. You will wind up starting all over again when things cool off to the point where we can ride. The air temps make a BIG difference in the adjustments.

AL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts