Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying another sled and would like to get a triple.  I've only ever owned twins, but I have ridden numerous triples and really liked their smoothness.  That being said, I've heard alot of bad things about skidoo triples (eg. crank failures, blown pistons, etc). For dependabilty and performance, which rotax triples seem to be the best?  Any info (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
i would have to say stay away from the formulas. because around here i have known for about 5 or 6 in the last couple years that have blown to pieces with not alot of kms on them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Try to stay away from the "small block" triples--the 6 and 700s.  They are the ones that are the most likely to suffer from crank problems.  The "big blocks," 780 and 800s are quite reliable.  Some of the '98s had problems due more to tuning than engine quality.  The "center dump" pipes turned out to be quite a mystery for the boys at ski-doo.

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have 4300 miles on my 700 triple with no problems, I have not even fouled a plug with this motor, I get 15 mpg fast trail riding and it has plenty of power, my formula 3 has the single pipe that gives it a lot of low end tourqe, I have no idea why ski-doo stopped making this motor, it runs flawless and gets super gas mileage, I would like something new but the twins are nothing compared to my 700 triple, I even use a lot less oil than the twins.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
steve92 trust me when i say this . the 2000 machz and up are the most dependable triple u could find. i wouldnt buy anything under that year .well i would also think that the 97 is a good one. but the 99 dont touch lots of probs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Buy far the 2000 and up 800 triple.  It is perfected.  They fixed all of the problems the other ones were having.  

I think the 700 Mach one in the last year was also good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the new 800's are nice, but doo's 700 triple was one of the best motors around, they should have never stopped building them.  It has a nice bore/stroke combination and it comes up on the pipe fast.  Of course, newer the better

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There hasn't been any changes to the 800 triple until 2002.  They increased the water pump volume to aid lower speed cooling.  The 98 was the worst because of wiring issues, not motor problems.  99 and up also used a better quality grease in the crankcase.
My 99 was great except for the stator. The early 700's did have some crank issues but they were resolved by 99.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
2000 & up have an enlarged crank & bottom case & can be built to the hilt & hold up.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
How did the 97 hold up?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'VE FIXED TWO 97 MACH1 700'S. THEY BOTH WERE PUSHING OUT THE BASE GASKET AND ANTIFREEZE WAS GETTING MIXED WITH THE FUEL. JUST ENOUGH TO SCUFF PISTONS. I PUT THE .059" CRANK SHOP GASKET IN BOTH AND THAT TOOK CARE OF IT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know of 2 97 machzs with 15000+ milles on them that have
never had any engine problems,the 2000 and up are also very
reliable,but I prefer the 97 bottom end because the 2 pto bearings are closer together to chair the load than the ck3
bottom end,when they built the ck3 they had to extend the
base 5/8 of an inch on the base so the 2 pto bearings are
5/8 further apart,that is why you see so many pto bearing faillures on them when they do not use much oil,the bearing
closer to the clutch takes most of the load gets hot then the plastic cage starts to melt and small peices go to the second bearing them you have your problems

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been very happy with my 98 fIII 700. Lots of power and great fuel economy. No problems with motor or electrical. 2700 miles on her...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Rocketman~ there we go!!!!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
haha..thanks midnight...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Rocketman~  I like your little thing after your sled down there!  Creating a monster.  I am almost convinced on dooing that.  I have been looking around but haven't had any luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts