Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to snowmobiling and wish to start by purchasing couple of used machines. (one for me and one for my wife) I have been told that no more than four or five years old would be advisable because the most significant improvements in comfort were introduced at that time. Can anyone elaborate on this and/or be more specific as to model years? We will probably buy two-ups if possible or 500-700 CC one-ups with reverse and electric start on at least one.

Thank you

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
If you are new to the sport you dont need a 700cc sled. If you are buying two ups i would recommend either an older model Ski-doo Touring 500 Fan or a an arctic cat panther 440 fan. 95 or newer should put you somewhere in the $1800.00 and up range(a sled). Try to keep the miles under 2600 if possible and the cleaner the better. Your right on the comfort issue. If it doesnt have enough travel in the suspension you will pay for it at the end of the day. As far as one up sleds are concerned. I would recommend Arctic Cat Jag 440's and or Z-440's. I am pretty sure you can find Jag 440's with reverse and electric start... as for the Z's I am unsure. I would not recommend liquid cooled machines for your first sleds. unless you try to stay under the 550 range. They are alot of machine for a beginner. If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to post and Welcome to Snowmobile World

·
Registered
483 Posts
My first question would have to be, have you ever ridden a snowmobile before? If so then you have a general idea of what to expect, unless it has been twenty years since you last rode. If not, then maybe I would wait until the snow falls, go to a dealer and get on some demo models or used sleds in stock to test ride to get an idea of handling/power etc.. Over the past several years, there have been nothing in improvements in snowmobiles, be it the suspension, motor, or reliability.You indicate a big range from 500- 700 cc's. I have ridden since age 8, but own a ZR500- it's what suits my riding style best. You also mention between a 2-up, and solo sleds, keep in mind there will be a huge difference in handling and weight. Each manufacturer has pros/cons, and I don't necessarily think one company is better than the other. Ultimately it is the motor/handling/suspension/ conveniences on each sled that you look at, and what suits your need best. You may want to search SW for bulletins/recalls on what sleds from the past you might want to avoid, or what updates are needed if you look at that model. Also, when you go to buy, if you have a friend w/ sledding experience look with you, he/she may be able to help point you in right direction. Hope this helps, and welcome to the wonderful world of snowmobiling :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Welcome to the sport! :thumbsup:
Here are a couple great starter sled from Arctic cat. Either the 2-up Panther 440 or 550 liquid. THe 550 has good snort and will go plenty fast, and both sleds have reverse, backrests, higher windshields and all the other comfort things, or at least have those options.
As for years, you were told correctly to stick with the newer model sleds. You will get a much better(softer)ride on the new models.
Each brand has similiar models to those that I listed above as well. Basicly pick which color sled you like and go from there because now days all manufacturers make pretty darn good sleds! ;)

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 8 2002, 05:26 PM

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I agree with the others. Keep the engine smaller for beginners. I rode a 98 Yamaha Mountain Max with a 660 triple last winter. That machine was exponentially different than my old 80 JD Sportfire twin. The Yamaha had more than enough power to scare me the first time I really opened it up. You want to have fun, not end up in traction. Go with bigger power once you get comfortable with what your riding, and how to ride safely.

Welcome to the group and snowmobiling, you'll like it here.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Thats good advise you got from these guys, I can't really add much to what they have said, other than to listen to it.

and welcome aboard.

FishHog SWRules SWRules SWRules

·
Registered
959 Posts
as like the rest of the guys at new to the sport ou dont need a 700 cc or even a 600 cc sled the 440 panther or the 550 would be a great sled ot start out on alot of the gys here will even tell you that the bigger the engine you have the more problems your gonna run in to i have a old 550 cat and thats fine for me its my 3rd sled and it still has enough power for the hills and i weigh just under 200 lbs i would go with about a 95 2 up sled it iwll work fine for you and your needs and welcome to the sport ride safe and ride sober ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I think that if your looking for a touring sled, a 500 fan, isn't enough... A 500 liguid would be perfect. If you ride alot of the lakes, the fan will just get killed if it starts to get slushy. I think that a 440 - 600 liquid is good. I guess it also depends on your size, and what you feel you can handle.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd really stay away from larger displacement sleds, we have enough people who are new to the sport that buy a 700 and ride on the wrong side of the trail because they go too fast. If I were buying my first sled, I'd buy a 95 and newer sled up to 500 cc's. Check the sleds for how they were treated, check for track wear, motor cleanliness, etc.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Im sure you didnt expect that many replys the first day you posted ? :D

With a little more details we could point you in a better direction, like what is your size, what type of ridding will you do ? Will it be in groomed trails or off trail ? Why a 2 up if you both have sled's ?

Hope you enjoy the sport and dont get as adicted as we are :nervous:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would agree as well. First time rider ( never really ridden before) should not be buying a 700cc sled. I would start out on a 500 and work you way up to a 700 or 800. 700cc is to much power for someone who has never/or hardly ridden before.

Welcome to the sport Newrider. It's a blast and you will have a lot of fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Newrider, just wanted to add that we aren't telling you to stay with a smaller sled in a demeaning way or to belittle you. It's just as if you were to give a 16 yr. old that just got his license a new Porche to go cruising in.
Just wanted to make sure you didn't take it the wrong way.... ;)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Solo machines in the 500 cc liquid machines are plentiful and affordable. Even new left over machines. But I would get a 600 liguid for a two up touring. the reason for the 600 is that a fan just isn't enough for two people unless it's cats new 570fan. the 600 will work less to get moving therefor get better milage I'd have to assume also.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Really 4 or 5 years ago and a good starter sled. FOr the wife a Indy Trail in the Evolution chasis. 97 or 98. 550 Fan with Extra10 and might find one with elec start and reverse.

FOr you, a super sport. 550 Fan (same motor) but more aggresiive ride. It is an Indy Chassis, but those motors run real good. Also a Indy 500 is a damn good sled.

FOr these years, the other manufacturers really were one step behind Polaris in these nice entry class sleds. They had the top of the line chassis with the mid level engines so you can get into riding cheap.

You could pick anyone of these sleds up for 1500-2500 in good condition.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I read through all the replies kind of quickly so excuse me if I'm repeating.
I don't think I saw anyone recommend renting a sled or two for a day or better yet, a weekend. What better way to figure out what direction you 'd like to proceed. Most popular snowmobiling areas have rental sleds available, a lot of them several different places. Explain your purpose and I'll bet you can find one that will let you try several different machines on a weekday. They can also get you pointed straight on local laws, what works for clothing, and point you at a decent trail to go enjoy yourself on without fear of becoming lost.

Why risk all the money a decent sled is worth, only to find it's disappointed you in some way? Rentals are never cheap, but for this purpose, I don't know how you could go wrong.

Suggest staying away from anything older than a '98 or '99 to get anything with a decent suspension...

Jump back in here for an opinion(s) on what you're thinking about buying.

I'll bet that grin from the first few rides won't go away for days, but if you're anything like me, it'll last a lifetime...

AL

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I like my XLT, and if you have any experience i would reccomend one. They are power full but nice. :) SWRules

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome to the sport,.... some very good advice from the members of the forum!!!!
I was thinking along the lines of michahicks, and that was to rent a couple different size sleds, that would give you a good idea on size. A couple other thoughts, make sure you have good clothes and helmets, if your not warm, this sport is a bummer! but it's a blast with the right gear....
I would select a sled no later than 96 and newer is better. There was a pretty big technology "jump" in sleds from 95 to 96. (just like there is this year from 02 to the new 03's). While I ride brand X a sled from any of the big 4 is good.... I think I would look at the dealer situation in your area, and perhaps try to go with a brand carried by a dealship that you feel comfortable doing business with. Insurance is usually cheaper on sleds of 600cc's or less. I'd also shop for mileage in the 2,500 mile range,give or take a few hundred. Do you have a trailer? Welcome!! DooZ :D :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Whatever you buy, I suggest you go shopping for a sled with someone that is experienced and knows what to look for in a used sled. There are alot of guys who unhook their speedo's in hopes that you actually believe there's only 500 miles on the sled. An experienced rider will beable to look at the sled and tell if its a good one or if its been beaten. The last thing you want when your just starting out is to be sitting along side the trail with a broken down sled. Good Luck!! and welcome to the sport!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
it's going to be like phazerhater said-try not to get addicted like we are.it'll become an obsession(a really cool one)...and it;s true-once you get a good taste of it-the smile will be on your face for a looooong time.welcome and good luck with your new sled purchase.check back with us and let us know what happened.be safe!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would choose a Panthera from the late 90s. Its probably the most comfortable sled ever made. Not to expensive sleds either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts