Snowmobile World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a discussion in another forum that made me think of this. Which Mfgr has intoduced the most technology that changed sledding. I'll name the ones I can think of.

AC = First slide rail rear susp. 69? Panther
First production IFS frnt susp. 79 Trail Cat
First A-arm frnt susp 84 El Tigre/Cougar
First Fox shocked susp 90 EXT Special
Really the only production EFI starting with 92 wilcats ( I know, I know..the ReeeXLs, but in lue of a won law suit)
First production roller secondary the 96 or 97 440 ZR
First and so far only 1000cc production 2 stroke

SD = Rotary Valve
First Exhaust Valve
First trail adjustable Primary (TRA)
RER ( electronic reverse)
Air adjustable rear susp
First plastic composite skis

Yam = First Oil injection
First resin injection molded hoods
First high perf 4 stroke
First NICASIL
First Reed valves

Pol = First hydraulic brake
First extra LT rear susp
First coupled rear susp in a production sled
First BNG ( he he)

1924 Eliason= First production snowmobile
First four stroke
First 4 cylinder ( 1930 models)
First Liquid cooled

One thing I found while researching was almost ALL of the motor technology came from bikes and outboard motors.  OMC and Merc both had rotary and reed valves in the 30's. Jap bikes of the 60's& 70's had rotory valves, reed valves and exhaust valves, oil injection, and NICASIL cylinders. So who brought engine tech to sleds is almost irrelevant..they all copied it. Interesting enough...the trend continues to this day with Yammy's 4 stroker from a bike and DI from EVERYONES PWC  will most likey be the next 2 stroker tech in sleds.
Anything else you guys can think of? Like..who had the first jack shaft layout?, the first CDI ignition? the first involute drive? the first fan cooled motor? first reverse? yada yada yada

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
all I would add is the fact that the FAST m-10 was the first coupled suspention not built by poo.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Don't know how innovative or trendsetting but how about Scorpion's near legendary pararail suspension,or Cat's use of the Wankel Rotary.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It was suspension-boogie wheels mounted to two solid rails, which flexed on a pivoting suspension.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ski-Doo-Seadoo, the D.E.S.S. keyless tether security system, which has the owners name encoded for computers to read.   Progressive throttle.                                                       1st 10 inch suspension- Blizzard Mx                                  Factory installed electric fuel guage, and over 100 mph speedo

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Purple ZRT.  

Skidoo

- First to invent a snowmobile.
- First to sell a snowmobile
- First A-arm front suspention.  
- First 4 stroke
- Rave or Exhaust valves.
- DPM computerized carbs.
- RER Electronic reverse.
- First exhaust valve
- Rotary engines
- Cylinder Reed
- SDI fuel injection
- Electric and Air suspention.
- REV chassie, first chassie with a triangle frame and bike siting postion.
-Plastic skis.
-DESS security systems.
-Not sure but i think they were the ones to bring out NICASIL cylinders.
-First to make a 2 stroke with the same emmitions as a 4 stroke.
-Electronic gauges.
-MPEM onboard computer.
-Ignition Maping.
-Exhaust aluminum wraping.
-First to introduce a belt cooling air induction vent on the CK3 Mach and Formula chassies and now on the ZX and REV.

Arctic Cat-

-First 4 cylinder
-First rollar sec
-First 1000cc 2stoke
-First EFI.

Yamaha
First electronic Exhaust valves
First HO 4 stroke
Your comment on resin injected.  Isnt all plasted a resin and then injected?

Polaris.

First Liquid cooled Brakes.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Almost everything comes from doo.  Its mostly because of the size of there pockets but there is also a passion.  

Many people think one company invented somthing like The A-arm front suspention.  Most people would think its cat.  But the story goes that skidoo had it on either the Safari or citation back in the 70s.  I still see them around.  Nothing fansy but it was a arm indipendent suspention.  Cat all of a sudden stole it and patented it.  Since then everything is patented.  Skidoo never forgot this little insident and screwed cat so bad last year.  Cat had a line of muscle sleds coming out somewere in the 1300 cc area either 4 stroke or 2 stroke.  They were using fuel delivery tecnology that skidoo owned the pateted for.  Just as cat was about to put it into production doo's lawyers told cat that if they were going to use that tech they would have to approve.  They didnt.  I found this info out from a friend of mine that works at bombardier.    

It had somthing to do with orbital injection that suzuki owned shares in but bombardier owned most of it. If I can find more info on this i will post it for you guys.

Cat played a mean game when it came to patenting stuff.  But doo year after year beats them at there own game.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL...it's your story and you can tell it how you want..but half of what you said was not true..and the other half was insignificant and the other half was listed twice...
 I keep talkin denile man..denile.  I can spend ALL day on the net researching facts...so..I'd be careful what I say.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Go ahead research away.  

Im sure there are a few people that will agree with me and most of the points.  

PurpleZRT.  You can be proud all you want with your Arctic cat dont get me wrong.  But dont come here and state that Arctic cat has had more innovations then skidoo.  And belive me anyone that sticks up for skidoo is not in denial.  It sounds to me like your in denial.

As for my story, not many people know about this.  I got it straite from the top.  The trouble had somthing to do with FITCH fuel injection from evinrude and johnson.  Suzuki owned shares in it but as we all know bombardier bought most of it a year or two ago.  This is what started the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edited by SWWebmaster.

No this site is not... but if you ask that question again, it will be the last time.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The problem with a topic like this is all the arguing. It does not matter to me who came out with what first.Everyone takes pride in what they own,some more than others. Give me any sled to ride and I will be smiling,just so I can ride.

Yes my current sled is a Doo,not all the mods ride Doos

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This site isn't communist, the people on here like their brand of sleds, I see that as a good reason to ride theirs, but who cares what happened in the past?  I surely don't, and I only care about their current technology, models....etc...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Purple-
It would appear to me, especially after a comment by you about reading a similar discussion somewhere else, that you started this one with the primary intent of causing controversy. Then you whine about being edited and admit to "mistakes". Take it to a bashing thread....

AL

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Purple dont take this wrong.  The moderators are just making sure nothing gets blow out of proportion.

I dont care what sled you ride and i bet you dont care what i ride.  But both of us have the right to be proud of them as does everyone on this site.  However when you create a topic pertaining to facts of history dont bend them or create them.  

Being a big fan of bombardier, when you laid down your 1 pg fact list for Arctic cat and then put down your 3 lines for skidoo I will admit i was like WTF.  Like i said before like your brand all you want but dont come here and tell me that Arctic cat basicly invented the modern snowmobile because that is not the case.  A fact of this sport is that Bombardier spends more then probably Polaris, AC, and Yamaha in R&D in one season.  This is the reason that they come out with all the new innovations, Its not because they are a better, smarter or lucky, Its all because when it comes down to it they dig deeper in there pockets then everyone else.  This is why i constently say that if you want to ride the current tech you have to ride bombardier.

Like the previous poster said, Its all in the past and so should our little argument.  

Getting back to your original topic.  I think we should change it to the 6 biggest innovations.  Forget brands,  Lets just talk about what made our sport so great.

IMO
1. 10inch plus suspention.
2. Hydralic disk brake.
3. The varible Clutch belt transmition.
4. Exhaust valves.
5. New plastic injection technology allowing the awsome designs we see today.
6. The lightweight 2 stroke engines that make big power.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
PurpleZRT, you now have a non-commi, cat riding moderator watching this topic as well, so don't worry about the big bad doo riders.hehe JK

I don't know what you said, but as long as everyone is civil, there is no need to edit or delete anything.....

Last edited by phazerhater at June 21, 2002, 1:18pm

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the one fact I can state and none can argue is, the competition is what has made this sport better.all the manufacturers can take credit for pushing each other farther.for that matter most tech. is bought from the aftermarket with deep pockets.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.