1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about how the triple motor (complete) only
weighs in around 10-20#'s heavier then the twin. I'm just a
little suprised considering all the hype about light weight
twins now-a-days. Has anybody checked this personally?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not sure about different makes and models, but the biggest difference will be between the largest displacement sleds.  I would think.  The Arctic Cat Tcat(1000 cc triple)  is a reported 68 lbs heavier than the ZR 900(862 cc twin).  They have similar chassis.  The gap is probably a little less for say the 600 cc motors.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (99SRX700 @ April 17, 2002, 1:25pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">does that include the pipes? If it doesn't think about how much weight two more pipes can add.[/b][/quote]
Carbs, coils and y-pipe/exhaust flange!

How much heavier is a set of aftermarket triples with
silencer compared to say a stock single pipe and stock
silencer??

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah.  theres not really much more to a triple.  Just a longer crankshaft and a piston.  The weight would add up but i think the majority is in the pipes...

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I have not done it yet ,but chris bondi told me that the zx conversion he does and sells the parts coming off and the parts going back on were 10 lbs more.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The bottom line is a lot of people bought the advertising hype
and sold their triples to buy twins. Saying that a lot of them are disapointed may be an understatement. The 20 pounds, or whatever the number amounts to on the models you have in mind, is insignificant compared to the overall weight of the sled for 99.9% of the people using them. The guys, like myself,
running big heavy high performance trail cruisers, really enjoy the triple. Would consider a twin a poor substitute. The vibration level alone is a major factor for me, I'm not even going to get in to the rest of it....

AL

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a triple owner and I love the Bad Mother Trucker!
I've just been hearing things like the weight of a set of
FAST triple pipes is only a pound or two heavier then a
stock summit X pipe or a Ultra 900 big bore only weighing
in about 10-15#'s heavier then a big bore 670 (740). If the
weight is that close, and it's easier to get 170+ HP out of
a big bore triple compared to a big bore twin, all the twin has is a tiny bit less weight, a little more centralized
mass and some bottom end torque. I'll keep my triple thanks.

Like dooman said, a triple in a zx chassis isn't really that
much heavier then the twin that it replaced!

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's amazing how many people get sucked in to all the hype that the manufacturers and mags dish out. Myself I've ridden both and can't see myself trading in my big block 3x3 for a twin any time soon. If the extra weight of a triple was such a big deal then how come no one seems to complain about driving around with a full tank of gas (a tank of gas has got to be good for an additional 75 to 100 lbs of extra weight&#33
? As long as your comparing apples to apples (case reed vs case reed and piston port vs piston port etc.) you'll never get the same power out of a same displacement twin without sacrificing reliability. Each to there own. I think down the road triples will make a comeback (if not I'll be hanging on to thee Ol Zed for quite some time).

·
Registered
79 Posts
i agree with you guys on the trip/trip.the only other thing you need to remeber is that the other sleds have a lower center of gravity.with that and the little bit of weight they save makes it handle that much better.but nothing beats the power of atriple.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am with you guys about the triples. I think then twins are just hype, but can you blame them? Its the hype that keeps most people buying. Not only that but I would imagine that twins are much cheaper to manufacture. Considering there is not a huge price difference between the triples and twins I would guess they are also making a little more money on the twins. As for the weight difference I don't think such a small difference is really noticable. Suspension geometry is far more important to handling.

·
Registered
625 Posts
IMO some good replies...So who cares that a triple sled is 10 lbs more, If Iost 30 lbs (which I could use) it would be a much greater difference than 10lbs on a sled....think what is better, taking 30 lbs off of one end of the sled, or taking 10 lbs one here and one there? Anything 600cc and larger it is a proven fact that a triple is more efficient and will make more power for a given displacement than a twin, case in point are there any 120 hp plus stock 600 twins? My dinosaur 98 FIII is what 120-125 with technology that is five or more years old! My brother in law is po'ed that my stock 98 FIII will run with his stock 01 MXZX 800 at top speed (102-104 on our speedo's) The only big advantage I can see to a twin is its compactness, which give you more choices on possible configurations for machines. There was a good point that twin sleds are big $$$ with engines that may be as much as 30% less $$$ to produce....good for the manufacturers pockets! The only way 2-strokes can possibly remain competetive into the future with the new four strokes in stock trim is to add more cylinders, twins bigger than the Cat 900 will probably need stronger cranks etc... to handle any more power for the "average joe" who may not know about tuning, good oils, or maintenance to give satisfactory durability which makes the triple more attractive. Triples of these displacements also use the fuel they burn more efficiently, which adds economy, and also lowers emissions beyond the capabilities of a twin without extensive hi-tech equipment to do so (IE: more powerful and faster computers, hi-tech injectors, sensors sled do not have now etc....so that again makes triples more attractive, and believe me they will take the lower cost alternative every time if they can achieve satisfactory results. The only threat on the horizon for the demise of the two stroke is obviosly the four stroke, but complete two-stroke elimination is a ways off if it even happens at all. Myself I would be interested in the four strokes, but I am waiting for the guinea pigs to try them first, I wanna ride and not wrench so it may be a couple years for me. All of these things talked about boil down to one thing, better sleds for us all in the future.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Although I've never weighed them but the stock single pipe
from my FIII 700 and the suitcase silencer is very close to
the weight of my triples with individual silencers. And it's
tough to have a triple without triple pipes on it!  

·
Registered
555 Posts
The advertised weight of the 2002 ZRT600 is 533 pounds and the ZR 600 is 485 that is 38 pounds difference all in the front end. Add 1 of everything. Black majic pipes with a DG silencer will add 15 HP and remove 15 pounds, 518 pounds at 135 HP, you won't notice the weight.

518/135=3.84 pounds per horsepower Modified ZRT600
533/120=4.44 pounds per horsepower ZRT600
485/110=4.41 pounds per horsepower ZR600

by the numbers the ZR would be a faster sled (when all is equal) but we all know better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts