Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there got a 1980 citation 4500 with what i belive is a 1979-1983 ski-doo 377 twin carb, premix engine with points. does anyone know how to time these engines and the problem i have is that it runs rele good cold, occationaly runs on one cylinder then after 3 mins of hard riding it just dies out. new plugs rarley fix the problem. mix is done at 40-1 and both plugs have spark. so whats wrong????? snows not gonna be here for long lol.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
hey there got a 1980 citation 4500 with what i belive is a 1979-1983 ski-doo 377 twin carb, premix engine with points. does anyone know how to time these engines and the problem i have is that it runs rele good cold, occationaly runs on one cylinder then after 3 mins of hard riding it just dies out. new plugs rarley fix the problem. mix is done at 40-1 and both plugs have spark. so whats wrong????? snows not gonna be here for long lol.[/b]
If you have a Skidoo with a Skidoo engine how can you have Motoski engine problems?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like the coils to me. Once they heat up they die. Have you changed the points and condenser on this engine lately? As for timing - all you have to do is make sure the right wire is on the right side from the mag to the coils - it will only run one way.

Woodler

·
Registered
225 Posts
MotoSki WAS Ski-Doo with different colours for a few years.
Try swapping coils around. If the other side dies now, you've got your problem solved.
Sounds like the coils to me. Once they heat up they die. Have you changed the points and condenser on this engine lately? As for timing - all you have to do is make sure the right wire is on the right side from the mag to the coils - it will only run one way.

Woodler[/b]

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
MotoSki WAS Ski-Doo with different colours for a few years.[/b]
I am quite aware of that, but "If you have a Skidoo with a Skidoo engine how can you have Motoski engine problems?"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thats not even close to timing the engine. thats called phaseing in witch the coils will only fire at there best efffecenticy only when the power is going into them the correct way. yes this sled has brand new points and condensors. what i wanna know is how you time this engine correctly. theres no mark on the stator plate but theres a mark on the flywheel. problem is how do i know if the stator plate is even in the right spot to even start timing? any help apprecitaed . thanx

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
There should be a symbol that resembles a lightening bolt cast into the shroud near where the fan belt is, this is the timing mark to line up with the flywheel. If my memory serves me correctly the timing can be done with a strobe light using a battery. It should be aligned at 5000 rpm (full mech advance). Point gap affects timing too should be .018" each set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts