Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 01 700MM. I went down a Canyon last weekend, I tried to side hill it, but can't. I weigh 155-160 lbs, I was hanging off the edge of that thing, and it would still come up on top of the snow. Does anyone have one of these or have the same problem? I tried to side hill this mountain side and it kept wanting to tip over. so I had to keep turning down, till I was at the bottom. The only way up was to ride straight up the hill (which it does do excellently&#33

Someone told me I need wider ski's, that don't make anysense. Another person told me to disconnect the sway-bar. he said the sway-bar makes it come up onto the snow? I might try that, I just want to know if anyone else has that problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Try simmons skies, my, wife rides a MM and can find center of balance ,she only weighs bout 130.........shhh don't tell her I said that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Friend of mine is selling his son's 2000 Arctic-Cat powder special, 700. went for a test ride today, found out I do not know how to sidehill at all!!!!! his was easy to do, but I think I can do it on my Mountain Max, now that I know what I am supposed to do. I have been trying to go really slow (5 mph or less) apparently you can't do that, from what I did, and what was told you have to be on it. I went for a short ride Saturday, tell you later.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The trick is to turn the skis slightly downhill while leaning uphill. Make the bottom of the sled parallel to the earth's normal flat land and sea. Keep the power on. Varying the throttle just to the point where the track spins to get a slight powerslide.
It is tough to get used to, just remember to make small movements in the handlebars, and big movements with your body. And to aim the skis the opposite way than you think, sort of. The machine can create its own balance if done properly.
Kind of like a counter steer with a rear wheel drive car on ice.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent the today, thanks to ZRT600mtncat sidehilling every mountain side, ant-hill, gopher hole, you name it!! It is pretty easy once you figure it out, or someone tells you how to do it. I was yanking my arms out of socket trying to yank it over, but as I found, its really all in the trotthle and track spin, (plus a slight yank of the bar) Now the seasons just about over and gotta wait till next year to refine it! Thanks ZRT600!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have both 99's and 03's and since I weight a lot more than you do I don't have a problem side hilling. I heard from another 03 owner that he just disconnected the rear sway bars and it helps him angle up the sled. In side hilling and powder riding he loves it. On the trail the sled is now pretty dartee...

I got a 01 700MM. I went down a Canyon last weekend, I tried to side hill it, but can't. I weigh 155-160 lbs, I was hanging off the edge of that thing, and it would still come up on top of the snow. Does anyone have one of these or have the same problem? I tried to side hill this mountain side and it kept wanting to tip over. so I had to keep turning down, till I was at the bottom. The only way up was to ride straight up the hill (which it does do excellently!)
Someone told me I need wider ski's, that don't make anysense. Another person told me to disconnect the sway-bar. he said the sway-bar makes it come up onto the snow? I might try that, I just want to know if anyone else has that problem. Thanks.
[/b]

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
"Rear swaybar"?? What is the rear swaybar.

Paul, glad you figured it out. Reading your first post I was going to say that the Max should be really easy to sidehill with, and that you just need to get on teh gas and go. But I see you've already found that out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2002 MM 700 I have always been able to side hill I removed front sway bar when it was new also lightens front end up I dont remember how many pounds the only thing I noticed is it wants to dive a little if you go into a corner real fast but to me it was still worth taking it off

·
Registered
36 Posts
A narrower ski stance would do the trick. Also removing the sway bar assembly would help alot. The sway bar is detrimental towards effective sidehilling. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts