Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea how installing mountain skis on an '03 Pantera 550 will affect the handling? It's riden mostly on groomed trails I have a damaged ski and have the chance to pick up a pair of mountain skis cheaply.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Anyone have any idea how installing mountain skis on an '03 Pantera 550 will affect the handling? It's riden mostly on groomed trails I have a damaged ski and have the chance to pick up a pair of mountain skis cheaply.[/b]
Shouldn't affect the handling. Moutain skis are just wider to provide more floatation in deep snow. Get a good set of carbides and they should steer just fine.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
when I went from my cat factory skis to usi 301`s here is what I noticed .slow speed turning was much more effort ,a lot less darting at speed ,a LOT more floatation . not as much bite in the corners ( may be due to different profile & length of carbide ) and at the end of the day less arm pump , manuverability in deep snow was much improved .also check and see if your trailer has room to support the additional width . any Q`s fire away . I dont know what ski`s your looking at but I will try and help

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
aren't the mountain skis those years shaped diferently

telesomething aka wide and both ends but narrow in the middle

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ya something like that

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a set of parabolics on my 2002 ZR 800 longtrack and love them. Some don't like the snow spraying up from them but I have not noticed it as being that bad. Floatation is much better and I did notice that the handling on groomed trails did not decrease.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
thanx for the info??

Its just the blade that can be changed everything else the same ????

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes you can use your saddles, loops, etc for them. E-Bay or Snowest is the best place to look. I got mine from a fellow on Snowest for $115 shipped, I believe, complete including carbides, only 400 miles.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Personally I don't like the parabolic. They had a tendency to break or crack right at the front were it cut in for the parabolic if they hit or bumped anything, got pulled on a lot, or just time. Personally the best Mtn skis from Cat are the new M ones or the pre parabolic skis are really nice to but hard to find. Just my opinion and experience though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts