Snowmobile World banner

Mpem reprogram

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sledcrazy 
#1 ·
The recall to reprogram the MPEM on some 02 models, was it for fuel economy?  I had it done during a trip to the UP and was told it was for fuel consumption.  I never noticed any better economy afterwards, but the throttle does not stay in one position to long.  Before and after I still got roughly 7-8mpg.  One tank of gas I did try to ride a little more economically (very hard to do for me) and I got 10mpg.  Just sort of wondering what others get?  My previous sled a 670 HO got better mileage.  Even when I ran the living daylight out of it I never got any worse than 9mpg.  Is it just that the rotary valve engines are more efficient?

#3 ·
I'm not sure about the reprogramming but if you want to help performance and mileage, get a R K Tech Head for that thing. I have an '01 800 and put one on it and what a difference. I know the jetting is different from the '01 to the '02 but I went from 500 mains down to 430's. I do all my riding in Michigan. I'm getting 14-15 MPG. 1 full season (2000 miles) and no problems.

#4 ·
I also put a different head (speedwerx)on my 2001 800 and got way better fuel consumption(13-15 mpg).Jetted down to 480's and the range on a full tank was improved by about 35 miles more.If you want to put a head on it though,take Wink's advice and go for the RK Tech.If i had a choice i would have went for them instead of Speedwerx.

#5 ·
Hey I just put a rktek head on my 01 mxz 800 and I just can't wait to see how much it improves performance ,I'm a little worried about the mid range lean out they say it as cause i do aloth of riding at 60 mph ...Wink do you have an egt gauge?What other mods do you have?did it help top end?

#7 ·
they had a recall for fuel mileage problem on both 2001 AND 2002 models, I THINK.  not exactly positive on the 02, but thats what i think its for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.