Snowmobile World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume this to be true but wanted someone else's opinion to ensure me. On the speedo where you can choose to have it connected as KPH or MPH.....if you choose MPH does your odometer also then count up in miles? If this is true, technically a "shyster" (excuse spelling my grandma taught me that word), could connect to MPH at any time causeing the odometer to technically change slower then before they sell it, then hook it back up to KPH and tell the potential buyer that the sled has only 3000kms on it. However those "kms" were turned using the miles connector and therefore the sled actually has 3000mi which is 5000kms. Possible scenerio? I ask cause I just bought a sled for my fiancee and am wondering if maybe this was done. Its in excellent condition but then again so is my 99 Mach Z with 8500kms. So, I am just trying to figure out what I am dealing with. NOTE: the comp. tested good at 120 121 120. That pleased me. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I assume this to be true but wanted someone else's opinion to ensure me. On the speedo where you can choose to have it connected as KPH or MPH.....if you choose MPH does your odometer also then count up in miles? If this is true, technically a "shyster" (excuse spelling my grandma taught me that word), could connect to MPH at any time causeing the odometer to technically change slower then before they sell it, then hook it back up to KPH and tell the potential buyer that the sled has only 3000kms on it. However those "kms" were turned using the miles connector and therefore the sled actually has 3000mi which is 5000kms. Possible scenerio? I ask cause I just bought a sled for my fiancee and am wondering if maybe this was done. Its in excellent condition but then again so is my 99 Mach Z with 8500kms. So, I am just trying to figure out what I am dealing with. NOTE: the comp. tested good at 120 121 120. That pleased me. Thanks for your input.[/b]
Yes that's true but a "shyster" can buy a replacement speedo with zero miles / kilos off ebay.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Yes that's true. I've also seen a sled (my renter's '98 MXZ 583) that had way less miles than my '98 MXZ 500 @ the time I sold mine. His was beat. Other than the exhaust crud on the belly pan, mine looked mint & had around 7,000 miles on it.

On the newer 'doos, you can switch between miles & klicks, but the conversion is done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts