Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please explain to me all the hype about the
class changes? I'm a Michigan resident looking to race but
have had people tell me not to bother with MSDRA! Why?
Thanks  

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think they were the ones planning on eliminating most of the classes that were previously available.  I think they're going to run a total of 10-15 classes with only 3-4 stock classes now. I can look up the article I read and get back to you later unless someone can get you details sooner. What classes were you planning on running?

·
Registered
884 Posts
From what I understand, there will be no 600Heavy class in the MSDRA.  They are going to group all the say, 600's in one class.  Triples and Twins running against each other, Heads-Up style.  It sounds like a waste of time to me, I hear a lot of people are going to switch to the PSGDRA.  Check them out if you want to run 600Heavy, I am almost positive that they will be running that class this year again.  Let me know if you need more info on the PSGDRA, I can get that info for you!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
maluchm, you're out of luck for 600 Heavy.
 I found the the article talking about the changes. The classes are Stock 600, 700, & 800; Improved Stock 1000; Pro Stock 1000; Super Series I (I/S 700& 800 combined); Super Series II (P/S 700 & 800 combined); Open Unlimited 1000; Open 1250; and Open 1500. There will be nine Sport classes (Trail Stock) that will run on Sat. Qualifying will be on Sat. with racers running against only the clock and the top 32 fastest times move on to finals on Sun. where racing goes head to head. Doesn't sound like there's much to see on Sunday with only 8-10 races.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
MSDRA got the big asphault race and have shifted thoughts away from new racers with only the big classes. If you are racing the sled I think you are, you will be happier going to Ont., Ohio, Indiana. The group racing over near Kalamazoo would be another place to look also.

www.msdraracing.com I think

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My little 600 against the 1000's huh? Think I stand a chance
especially since I'm a rookie?
I was told one of my only
choices was the PSGDRA also. What's the thinking behind the
way the MSDRA made thier classes? Even if I race the 600
class I'll still just be handing my money over to them but
to race against the 1000's WOW!

Catrules2000 - Any info you have would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Are cleated tracks outlawed or banned? Do I have to switch
to a .5" lug or something else? I heard they were coming
apart.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Maluchm, stay away from the Ohio Circuits, they tend to be a joke!  Anyway, here you go, check out the PSGDRA Web Sight!

www.psgdra.com

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I think the reason that MSDRA has moved away from the heavy sleds is out of poularity. I think there opinion is that the ProStock sleds and the other full body classes relate more to the people that want to come and see the races. Yes, a heavy sled with a lay down chassis is cool, but more people want to see sleds out there like their own. It's not like MSDRA has been known to have killer turn outs at their events.

The pretty much kept the big lay down classes (1000), but have focused more on Pro Stock and classes alike. I think the big motor classes are the right way to go.

As far as the cleated track, it depends on the studs more than anything. There was allot of controvesy a few years ago about certain studs. Secord Lake Marina when they had all of their lay down sleds had a cleated track come apart on the 500 sled. Flipped it end over end at about 80 MOH. The cleated tracks have allot more of a tendancy to suck the track in the tunnel and lock up.

The track is legal, but you migh want to re-consider racing it in the dirt. Those tracks are frickn' expensive. Also switching over to a rubber track would be expensive also. dirrecent susp., axles, drivers, etc...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am not going to get into the why's and whynots of what MSDRA does, I think what they are going to do this upcoming season will only make racing better, The reason i am posting on this is to set you straight on grauser bar tracks, they are legal on the ice but illegal on the grass and for any circuit to allow them is in breach of the insurance policy. You can only run rubber tracks on the grass at any ISR sanctioned event.  --  Bill

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the info Bill. Is there any kind of saftey
concern with running these tracks? Can you tell me why they
are illegal on grass but legal on ice? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
288 Posts
The biggest thing with bar tracks is maintenance, I have run bar tracks for years and have blown 2 of them but niether were on my own sleds, the biggest thing to look for is missing studs broken or missing rivets and mainly look for cracked bars, I would generally say that the life of the rubber of a bar track is about 5 years, I change mine evry three years, just for added safety. The reason bar tracks were barred from the grass is that if they make contact with the sliders and because of dirt they wear excessively fast and also the extreme heat generated in the bar on the grass takes the life out of the treayted grauser bars where on the ice the ice pellets are enough to lube the bars and keep them cool. Hope this explanation makes it clear.  --  Bill

·
Registered
884 Posts
Bill, I am not trying to pick a fight here, but what do you think about what the MSDRA is going to make it better??  I know you run the big classes, but what is it going to do to the guys that want to run their stock sleds against others in the same class?  It is neat to watch you guys go down the track at 800 MPH, but what does that do for a guy with a stock sled?  I think making Lewllen, Miracle and the other guys run their stock 440's against 600's in assinine.  The MSDRA is going to lose all thier Factory Sponsership buy doing this.  Please don't think I am a Rookie to all this just looking for a fight, but explain to all of us what they are tyring to achieve.  Good luck this season, thanks for your comments!!!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
288 Posts
First of all, the factories, all 4 of them have really endorsed this format and they all agree that the drag racing venue needed a change, not only have they endorsed but so have many after market mfgr's and all of the major snowmobile publications so don't think for a minute that we are going to lose any factory support or media coverage. To answer your specific question about the Ski Doo 440's they can run on saturdays at all MSDRA events, and Ski Doo wants to highlight their 600, 700 and 800's on the grass because their 440's are highlighted in the winter at Snow Cross Venues. Hope this helps to answer your questions.  -- Bill

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (catrules2000 @ July 24, 2002, 11:54am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please don't think I am a Rookie to all this just looking for a fight, but explain to all of us what they are tyring to achieve.[/b][/quote]
Hey now! That wasn't for me now was it? ####, I'm not even
a rookie yet! I'm just trying to get a grasp on how things
will be run this year in the MSDRA compared to the previous
years. I most likely won't enter a lot of sanctioned races
this coming season. Just get out and learn and do some
friendly races on the bay by my house or up north.
My intensions weren't to start a fight either and I hope it
doesn't happen but I can't control other people's opinions.

·
Registered
884 Posts
We are not fighting, just talking about what the MSDRA has done to their classes.  I think it is going to drive the Stocker's away, and Bill believes that it is going to make it better for everyone.  Just a difference of opinions.  I have some friends that have run the MSDRA Stock Classes for a couple of years now, and they do not plan on running any MSDRA Races because of the format they went to.  Good luck with what you decide to do this summer, but atleast consider the PSGDRA if you want to race against the sleds that you are comparable with.  PRAY FOR SNOW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Their new trail stock class is the one i am going to run.I have a 98mach z and yo must run trail studs.You can rejet,clutch and change gears and thats it.Check it out and i will see you in Gaylord Aug 24 and 25.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts