Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, one of my buddies decided to come over at 7:30 this morning to mark the trails since we got hammered on last night leaving a good 10 inches of powder. anyways, i noticed about an hour later my sled sounded really loud. i didnt think anything of it. it kept getting louder and louder. i looked at the muffler where it bends where it connects to the exhaust manifold. it had a crack about 2 inches long in it. i figured it would be fine until i could get home to weld it. anyways i kept riding and finally it became more noisey then ever. i now have a hole about 3 inches long and an inch wide. what could of caused this mayhem?

·
Registered
629 Posts
well, one of my buddies decided to come over at 7:30 this morning to mark the trails since we got hammered on last night leaving a good 10 inches of powder. anyways, i noticed about an hour later my sled sounded really loud. i didnt think anything of it. it kept getting louder and louder. i looked at the muffler where it bends where it connects to the exhaust manifold. it had a crack about 2 inches long in it. i figured it would be fine until i could get home to weld it. anyways i kept riding and finally it became more noisey then ever. i now have a hole about 3 inches long and an inch wide. what could of caused this mayhem?[/b]
let me guess 02 mxz? if so they all do it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another question.... would i be able to mig weld a peice of sheet metal over my muffler? im not sure if the exhaust is to thin

·
Registered
629 Posts
another question.... would i be able to mig weld a peice of sheet metal over my muffler? im not sure if the exhaust is to thin[/b]

Yep you can weld it, on my old 02 mxz 800 I got a piece of steel from a old computer cass and welded it on. Now I cant weld worth a crap but when I was done it was the strongest part of the muffler.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i've welded cracks like that on my elsinore with a torch and a coathanger.

·
Registered
644 Posts
:D
i've welded cracks like that on my elsinore with a torch and a coathanger.[/b]
Wow! A coathanger? I didn't know they made mufflers out of plastic these days!:huh::tongue:

Actually, I haven't heard that mentioned very often, but that was what I was taught way back when I was learning to weld - use a wire coathanger for mufflers. There must be something special about that low tech "rod." I know it has always worked for me with the gas welder.

As for a twenty something year old muffler, I don't know, but since they are as pricey as they are - if you can even find one that old, I think a MIG or gas effort would be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Wow! A coathanger? I didn't know they made mufflers out of plastic these days!:huh::tongue:[/b]
I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVEN'T SEEN A WIRE COATHANGER? THEY AREN'T USED THAT OFTEN ANYMORE.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVEN'T SEEN A WIRE COATHANGER? THEY AREN'T USED THAT OFTEN ANYMORE.[/b]
stacks of them around the uniform lockers at work. talk about scary is many old race cars were built out of hangers :wink: . other than age the main cause would be from vibration or movement. that being said, are all the exhaust mounts there and in good shape?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
talk about scary is many old race cars were built out of hangers :wink: .[/b]
there is still some farm equipmment hanging together the same way :dazed: but the wire came out of the nearest fence. i've done it :blush:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I remember back when I was living at home I rode a 250 elan that had to see the welder every so often. On this sled the baffle kept breaking loose and rattling inside and kept cracking where the tube went into the canister. My dad cut the top off and pulled the broken baffle out and kept welding the cracks up . He also welded some more supports around the tube to help it from cracking. It didnt look to pretty but it worked .
Those one luggers sure had alot of viberation , but you could pound the crap out of them and still keep running, sure had a blast on that thing.

mutt

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got it welded up and shes good to go. now i have another problem.... my right ski snapped in the rear where the leaf spring mounts to....... :cussing: im just going to take a peice of angle iron drill holes in it and bolt it back together. the seasons almost over and i dont feel like putting more money into this this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts