Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be way out of line here, but do you think the insurance companies stance against the big cc sleds will affect their sales down the road? Like Chubby said in his topic, he's got the sled home, but no insurance. In the past we bought a new sled, called the insurance company & told them when we were picking it up & that was it. Now we don't know if our insurance company will insure our new toy or what they will gouge us.

Chubby, would you have ordered the F7 & maybe gone for the F5 if you had known that insurance would have been a problem?

When I read about the demise of muscle cars in the 70s, increased insurance premiums is mentioned as 1 of the causes.

I know fuel economy concerns & added pollution controls didn't help either. Does anyone out there have any experience in this area?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i hope i never have to buy a smaller sled,i love my 800 and would get a 900 if i could,going to a 500 cc sled for me would be no fun as i ride lots of powder and many times 800cc is not enough,plus some people do buy more sled than they can handle...i never put collision on my sleds!!!only plpd ,fire, and theft,if i run into something then its my fault

·
Registered
959 Posts
i know there are a few around me already that wont touch anything over700 and only 500's if they have mods then the insure im with will only go to 700 heavy mod and stock 8's wont touch the mcats or zr9 you think they would make more money if they just took all sleds cuz people dont switch just teh sleds the move everything

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Rumor has it that Bombardier is starting there own insurance company to solve this problem. Rumor also has it that Arctic Cat, Polaris, and yamaha will be a part of it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
From trail insurance to the sleds that ride them, rates and availability of insurance itself, is becoming more difficult and far more expense at an incredible rate. According to my agent, he feels we should expect rates to continue upward with more and more companies opting out of sled coverage. Unless these rediculous lawsuits can be curbed, theres no end in sight for rates.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No I would not have bought the sled if I had known it was over $560.00 to insure it, My 800MXZX was only $435.00 a year and thats even to steep for 3 months.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Chubby,
Based on the discussion I had with my broker last Friday, $560 may not be that far out of line(although I hope you find a better deal), not to say it doesn't suck. He has folks with a couple of claims against their house policy that he's having a hard getting insurance for at any price. He also spoke of sledders with poor driving records being bounced into "facility" for their insurance needs which equates to upwards of $1000/yr for coverage. Imagine with these prices how many will be riding sleds/driving cars with no insurance at all.
Isn't it wonderful insurance in Ontario is mandatory, like that doesn't give the ins. co's a leg up on us. :cussing:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well I know it will hurt the industry as a whole, Less people willing to shell out the big $ for 3 months a year, means lower sled sales, lower touist dollars.......Ah with global warming Snowmobiling will be done in 10 years anyway..LOL

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm thinking the insurance companies are looking for another excuse to rape the public when it comes to the real musclesleds... those that are 800s, or larger....

My experience would show that these are the same, or similar, to the guys that STILL own the muscle cars. Notice during the Woodward Dream Cruise
what the average color of hair was? I'd say, overwhelmingly, it was grey...

Hardly the high risk type.

I am also a liability only buyer, and the only reason for that is to prevent another type of legal rape.... defending myself from an overzealous lawyer.

AL

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Oct 20 2002, 09:03 PM
Rumor has it that Bombardier is starting there own insurance company to solve this problem. Rumor also has it that Arctic Cat, Polaris, and yamaha will be a part of it.
As well they should band together and put aside competativeness to save the sport we love.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Insurance companies have been raping consumers for years. From back in the sixties with 'muscle' cars to the PWCs and Snowmobiles we own today. They put the premium on larger CC toys and claim they are more of a risk because of the tendency to drive faster, and with their conveniently skewed statistics, this shows to be true. We all know that is B.S.

I'd be leary of an insurance company created by and ran by the manufacturers. They only do things to make money, bottom line.

Hey michahicks - If you only saw gray-haired men driving muscle cars and the Woodward Cruise, you must have been in the geritol section :D :p :D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Wanted: Caucasian man driving yellow Corvette in his 30s for doing burnouts on Woodward ave. And for realted theft of 25 hamburgers.

MichYamaha - WOuld you know anything about this? Since when do you have grey hair!! LOL

·
Registered
720 Posts
Originally posted by 800MXZ@Oct 21 2002, 02:06 PM
Wanted: Caucasian man driving yellow Corvette in his 30s for doing burnouts on Woodward ave. And for realted theft of 25 hamburgers.

MichYamaha - WOuld you know anything about this? Since when do you have grey hair!! LOL
Hey - I resemble that statement :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I know what your talking about. I called AAA before I got mine to make sure I could get it insured. He did a pre check for me and said no problem. I can't remember exactly what I pay, but I drop it to fire and theft for the summer. Makes a big difference. I know one thing, I tried calling around for better insurance and it seemed everyplace I called had great rates until they got to my sled. Then they all said the same thing. "That's a tuffy" ???

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If something doesn't change, I definitely think it will affect sales of large cc sleds. What are you going to do. Ride a 500, or not ride at all.

Although I like Machzzzz's rumour. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Liability only for me also. Allstate never has given me a problem beacuse of all the different vehicles I have w/them. I have had an 800+cc sled every year since 1994. too say nothing of my (high risk) vehicles.1980 Corvette, 1968 Camaro, 1953 Chev. P/U, 1987 GMC 454 P/U, soon I think a 1964 Chevelle. Then the daily drivers, She has a Durango w/360 in it. I just sold my V10 ram & got a 300M. Old GM's & new Chryslers for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow.. some of you guys are paying some serious insurance money. My 02 ZL 600 EFI SS costs $106 per year for full coverage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Screw insurance! I will take my chances. Call me stupid but never dumb! :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
My insurance (AAA in Michigan) is ~$200 /6 months with a $250 deductible (Full coverage). They told me there is in an increase after 750cc so a 700 sled should still be reasonable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's already made an impact. I've dropped collision on 2 of my sleds because of what I think is outragious premiums. The next time I buy, it will definitely influence my decision. Big cc's is great but not a necessity for me (if I can pocket some money). Ya, I've given in but I don't want to spend any more money than I already have in order to make a point.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts