Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just checking the rk tec.site and in thier tek forum the had an article on the ring and piston problem. u should read it some very useful information.it talks about the problems with the flaking rings and piston falure.check the site and has any body bought this kit yet how much did u pay.???????

·
Registered
94 Posts
If there is a problem with them then it should be a warranty issye , we should not have to pay for it , anyone else think so ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
check amiricansnowmobiler.com, i just read obout this today. tt670 has used this setup on his 01mxz800 with great success.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should be warranty fix why dont they put a recall .my warranty expires feb 23 03 i have 1600km on it now think i should get the extended warranty i.ll probly put 6,000 this season.smoothrock and cochrane the
KM,S add up fast. :inlove: :inlove: :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Myself, not yet- but getting there. Lots of pople have the head- he just started offering the pistons not long ago.

The piston Kelsey is selling is supposed to be a better piston. Atleast, in his opinion. It's a double ring vs a single ring, and a little lower on the piston. He cuts the head slightly different for this piston. Not interchangeable with his heads for stock pistons. Not for stock head.

Generally, I think the going rate on their head is about $350. Pistons are around $275. He also will do an intake mod for another $175. Shims run about $55.

I'd get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What is the process of getting the extended warranty on my machine? Does my dealer have to do a preseason checkup? What is typically done for a preseason checkup? I have always gone through my sled on my own. I would assume they just check carbs, grease it, and do an overall evaluation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think they do much. I would think they have some sort of check list, and would think every dealer has their 'own way' of going through the check list, too. :) If ya have engine mods- exhaust or whatever, it would be good to put stock back on before going in for their 'check up'. I don't remember if that was really required or not- bringing it in for their service. I did it once, when I got my first sled back in '98. After that, I didn't do it.

Just go talk to the dealer about the extended warranty. I don't think it's too much. Not sure if there is a set price or not. Someone mentioned something like $800, but I know I was told less to cover my engine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
10-4 I think it should be free for mine since I spring ordered. I plan on going to the dealer Friday then I will get the low-down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How do these heads compare to other heads out there? Is there a huge gain in useing these heads over others, You talk to one dealer our heads are better than anything out there, anyone try speedwerx heads, just looking for some help full info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, I suppose opinions are like a-holes, so it's really up to you to get your own. There is a quite a large 'following', however- most hang out at snowest. A huge gain over others? I guess one would need a pile of heads and a dyno. A huge gain over stock, it would appear. It's the most talked about head, that's for sure. UB heads would be similar, but not quite the same. Not sure on others.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The RK Tech head is a very unique product. First off, each head is machined to the specs of that engine. The amount of jug-gasket shim is taken into consideration, and so is the "crown" of the piston. Also, and elevation and fuel type is taken into consideration also.

RK Tech uses a Hemi designed combustion chamber. This design ditributes the "push" of the flame over a greater area of the pistons, and promotes much greater combustion efficency vs. the stock head.

The results? Much broader powerband. A stock 2001 800 twin will have 90+ ft lbs at 7000-7900RPM. Using the RK Tech head, many have reported 90+ ft lbs at 6200-7900!! That makes for allot more fun in the trails!!!! Also, many have reported good peak HP gains, all the way up to 12HP.

Give em a call, these are the sleads that they are riding at RK Tech.

Also, say what you want, if the mountain guys say it works, I tend to listen. If they go up a hill with a inferior product, they are putting their life and their sleds life on the line. If they are approaching the summit, and they blow a engine, them and the sled are ROLLING all the way back down!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts