Snowmobile World banner

Mx583 ignition help

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  RNM2399 
#1 ·
I have a 97 MX583 with 3200 miles that has a perplexing ignition problem.  The sled runs great for the first 15-20 minutes of cruising, then the right cylinder stops firing altogether and the sled bogs down.  The problem started about 2 months ago, and it happens every time the sled is taken out.  I've changed plugs numerous times to no avail.  If the sled is allowed to cool for an hour or so after the problem starts, it mysteriously goes away.  All of the engine internals seem ok (compression, etc).  When the problem occurs, I pull the right plug and it is dripping wet and a spark check shows nothing.

If anyone has every experienced a similar problem and could let me know, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
John Lawson
Anchorage, AK

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your spark plug cap itself. There is a built in resister that can be checked with an ohm meter. The cap will unscrew from the plug lead. If you don't have a meter, unscrew and switch the caps around. If the problem follows the cap then its the cap if it stays with the cylinder check your coil.Reading for the cap should be 5k ohm.

#3 ·
Sounds like your coil is heating up after 15 to 20 min run time , you need to change your coil for that cyl . It may check out fine when it's cold .... but when it's hot ... no spark on that side . Couple years back same thing happened to me on my Phazer . Good luck !

#4 ·
I had a similar problem on my 96 F-Z 583 a few years ago,
Mine was cutting in and out all the time when it was warmed up and sometimes cold.
I found the problem one night trailside when it was acting up-
- The coil is mounted pretty close to the coolant hose and at times the spark was jumping from the right side of the coil( where the wires go into it) to the coolant hose( hose must have steel reinforcements in it). The only reason I noticed it was because it was dark out and I could see the spark.
THE FIX---take off the coil and wrap it with electrical tape eccessivly, after that the sled ran perfect all the time!!!
GOOD LUCK  

#5 ·
If that is the case then you have a problem.  The spark will go the way of least resistance.  Now if it goes to the rad hose then theres somthing really wrong with you plug wires.  Or maybe the coils gone.  If there is a lot of resistance from the coil to the sparkplug you will generate more heat in the coil and wear it out.  Plus im not sure but that cant be good for the stator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.